The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2020, 08:37 PM   #26
RC20

I wrote Hornady and they said "we don't like it looses the settings either". If they can't get it corrected, who can?

Quote:
But I can't turn it off. 6 more years and I retire with full benefits. I'll have to put up with it until then.
Yea I was on call for 30 some years, they insulted me on one job and offered me $24 a month (it had to do with computer techs who rotated the call week, so it was worth $100 a month but no, we can't give that to the guy on call all the time, the one who repairs and maintain the backup generators and UPS for the computer room? nah)

I walked in one day and quit my last job in June (20 some years there). No monetary benefits - just setup our life I could do it and now they get to figure it all out for themselves (well hire someone to try to fix it for them - except a lot of it is old enough no one knows how to deal with it). A lot of fun at -15 knowing they can't call me out now!

Worked 5 month extra to pay for a side car motorcycle, that is a lot of fun.
Old February 11, 2020, 09:26 AM   #27
Howland

I have the same Hornady Lock and Load Auto Charge. The room has incandescent lights so no florescent interference.

When first setting up I had a lot of overthrows until I started the trickle 2 grains shy of target and a low speed trickle. I still had one of ten overthrow until I started leaving the cell phone in the next room and making sure the heat or AC is off. The register is right next to the bench. I haven't observed overthrows of as much as OP describes.

For precision loads I target 0.1 grains under target and trickle up. Everything precision gets checked against a 5-0-2. It's easier to always trickle up than pick granules out with a tweezer. For plinking I just load what it throws.
Old February 13, 2020, 11:59 AM   #28
Wendyj

Mine is still hanging on after moving it away from the light. I loaded up 2-300 rounds of 6.5 cm and 270 last weekend. It's still requiring me to recalibrate every new charge when I backspace one to clear it out but it always has. The McDonalds straw trick I learned watching a RCBS charge master video on you tube. I just cut off about 1.5 inches of the straw and stuck inside the dispenser tube leaving a few 10ths of an inch out. I am able to run it on full speed with no over throws. I've ran every rifle and pistol powder I own through it loading from 9mm to 338 Remington Ultra Mag and it keeps on going so far. I seem to have more problems using the RCBS 5-0-5 I have and keeping it zeroed. It goes out of zero with the least bump putting the powder tray on and off.
Old February 13, 2020, 06:41 PM   #29
LE-28

Quote:
I just cut off about 1.5 inches of the straw and stuck inside the dispenser tube leaving a few 10ths of an inch out. I am able to run it on full speed with no over throws. I've ran every rifle and pistol powder I own through it loading from 9mm to 338 Remington Ultra Mag and it keeps on going so far. I seem to have more problems using the RCBS 5-0-5 I have and keeping it zeroed. It goes out of zero with the least bump putting the powder tray on and off.
OK! I may have to try that. Mine works pretty good but if that makes it run that good, I will try it.

Nothing to loose.

Thanks WendyJ and I'm glad you didn't have to spend more money to resolve this.
More money for consumables.