The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2020, 02:32 PM   #1
reynolds357

Nosler E Tip

Anyone used them?
Accuracy?
Performance on game?
Old January 19, 2020, 10:41 AM   #2
Jbotto

I have some loaded up for my .30-06 but haven’t been able to try them. Midway had them as factory seconds a while back so I figured I’d try them. 150gr. Put all my effort into a .338-06 this year and ran out of time before hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2020, 05:14 PM   #3
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
I have some loaded up for my .30-06 but haven’t been able to try them. Midway had them as factory seconds a while back so I figured I’d try them. 150gr. Put all my effort into a .338-06 this year and ran out of time before hunting season.

They still have them available as factory seconds. Were there any visible defects with the factory seconds? I might order them instead of regular ones.
Old January 19, 2020, 07:24 PM   #4
stagpanther

Funny you mention it--I just loaded up some 200 gr 338 E-tips for my 338 fed AR that I finally got around to finishing a brake project on for an unthreaded Wilson Combat barrel. Probably not the ideal bullet for it considering how long they are, but I figured I'd try em anyway.
Old January 20, 2020, 12:21 AM   #5
Jbotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
They still have them available as factory seconds. Were there any visible defects with the factory seconds? I might order them instead of regular ones.

I looked them over pretty well and was surprised at how good they looked. Maybe I just got lucky but if they’d shoot well I’ll be buying more!

Old January 20, 2020, 06:47 PM   #6
308Loader

Nosler book states " Due to internal construction differences , always begin with starting loads when using E-Tip products." Not exactly sure why, would guess the core and jacket are not bonded? or the core is soft? Might spin the jacket loose from the core?

I haven't tried the E-Tip yet, so I have no evidence of this, just a guess. if I can find cheap 30cal E-Tips there is a good chance I will find out .
Old January 20, 2020, 08:03 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Loader View Post
Nosler book states " Due to internal construction differences , always begin with starting loads when using E-Tip products." Not exactly sure why, would guess the core and jacket are not bonded? or the core is soft? Might spin the jacket loose from the core?

I haven't tried the E-Tip yet, so I have no evidence of this, just a guess. if I can find cheap 30cal E-Tips there is a good chance I will find out .
My understanding there is no core, its a monolithic gilded bullet. I am guessing its like the orig Barnex X before they put the pressure relieving bands on them.
Old January 20, 2020, 09:16 PM   #8
sako2

Here some info on them. https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40101
Old January 20, 2020, 09:30 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
There is no jacket, the bullet is solid copper. Most copper bullets use completely different load data for a variety of reasons. For one thing solid copper bullets are longer than traditional bullets of the same weight making case capacity an issue. That also means more surface area in contact with the barrel increasing pressure compared to conventional bullets.

When you compare load data for these bullets and compare it to load data for the same bullet weights with the same powder the max load, and max velocity will always be lower.

Which is also part of the reason it is normal to drop down at least one bullet weight lighter than normal when using them. If you'd normally use a 165 gr standard bullet a 150 gr copper bullet will be more than adequate, you could probably drop to 130 gr and still beat the performance you'd get with 165's.

Winston Churchill
Old January 20, 2020, 09:37 PM   #10
308Loader

I plead ignorance, and will take my lashings.
Old January 21, 2020, 07:56 AM   #11
griz

I tried them in a 243. They are fairly tough bullets. On the smallish whitetails we have here a softer bullet would have been a little better. Still worked, just not a lot of expansion. If i hunted bigger game, even bigger whitetails, I think they would be great.
Old January 22, 2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

The reduced powder charge is both due to length, as Jmr40 said, and because the copper is solid and not a shell with a soft core, like a cup-and-core bullet design, is it harder to push it into the rifling. In the QuickLOAD program, the default start pressure for solids is 180% of the jacketed bullet start pressure for this reason. That means pressure has to get higher before the bullet goes into the throat, and when the pressure gets a head start building up like that, it reaches the peak before the bullet has moved as far down the barrel, so the expanded powder space is smaller, raising the peak pressure it reaches.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 22, 2020, 08:42 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
The reduced powder charge is both due to length, as Jmr40 said, and because the copper is solid and not a shell with a soft core, like a cup-and-core bullet design, is it harder to push it into the rifling. In the QuickLOAD program, the default start pressure for solids is 180% of the jacketed bullet start pressure for this reason. That means pressure has to get higher before the bullet goes into the throat, and when the pressure gets a head start building up like that, it reaches the peak before the bullet has moved as far down the barrel, so the expanded powder space is smaller, raising the peak pressure it reaches.
Hopefully Nosler will eventually do what Barnes did and eliminate the problem. You can now load Barnes as hit if not hotter than cup and core.
Old January 22, 2020, 10:55 PM   #14
stagpanther

It's also why the solids often use "drive bands."
Old January 23, 2020, 08:58 AM   #15
old roper

Nosler has change E-Tip.

https://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet/

Go about 1/2 way down
NRA Life Member
Old January 23, 2020, 07:07 PM   #16
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
Nosler has change E-Tip.

https://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet/

Go about 1/2 way down
When did they change it? I see no mention of change in link.
Old January 24, 2020, 11:41 PM   #17
Jbotto

IMG_3545.jpg
I got out to test those .30-06/Varget/150gr Etip loads. My excuses are cold fingers, cool wind in my face making my eyes water, and a 6lb trigger on an 8lb rifle. They show potential for sure. I’ll load up. Few more and maybe keep trying them the next time out. IMG_3542.jpg

Old January 26, 2020, 10:23 AM   #18
std7mag

From what i've seen, the mono bullets mostly recommend a jump of at least 0.050" off the lands.

While many have disputed it, i've found that a crimp has helped. My theory is it allows some extra pressure to build before the bullet starts moving and get a better running start before getting to the lands.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 26, 2020, 11:21 AM   #19
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
From what i've seen, the mono bullets mostly recommend a jump of at least 0.050" off the lands.

While many have disputed it, i've found that a crimp has helped. My theory is it allows some extra pressure to build before the bullet starts moving and get a better running start before getting to the lands.
In shooting X, Tsx, Ttsx, and Gmx, my observation is every bullet behaves different in every rifle. Some like huge jump, some like no jump. Crimp has always hurt accuracy in my experience.