The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2001, 06:12 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

I finally decided to buy a good chrono. I will spend up to a grand. What should I get and what nice little add-ons have you bought that really makes it worthwhile!
Old April 24, 2001, 09:16 PM   #2
swifter...

With experience with Shooting Chrony, PACT, and now Oehler, if you have that sort of $$, give Oehler a call.

They are the standard the others are judged ( and generally found wanting)by...

Anybody wanna buy a PACT Professional, all bells and whistles, cheap?
Old April 25, 2001, 02:12 AM   #3
George Helser

I bought the cheapest Chrony available. It is just as accurate as the most expensive Chrony. When I put a bullet through it I bought another cheapo Chrony. I don't shoot
zillions of rounds through a chronograph so it is not a big deal to manually record the readings.

I like the Chrony. It works well and is very consistent.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old April 25, 2001, 09:52 AM   #4
Hutch

Ummmm... Swifter? How cheap? Does it still work? Got all the parts, yadda yadda yadda? What's your beef with it? I've seen one in operation and it seemed to be fine.
Old April 25, 2001, 10:17 AM   #5
Hard Case

I picked up an Oehler a couple of months ago. I did quite a bit of research and the general consensus seemed to be that Oehler had the highest quality. I read many accounts of people shooting their chrony. For most chronys, this would be a catastrophic kill since the diffusers and the computation unit are one piece. This is not the case with the Oehler Model 35. I found this out on my first trip to the range with it. I blew through all three Skyscreens and it cost $60 to replace all of them. You can check them out at http://www.oehlerresearch.com
Old April 25, 2001, 10:24 AM   #6
JNewhouse

cheapo chrony

I bought an inexpensive Chrony and am very happy with it. I may buy a remote for it. That seems to be the only thing that I wish it had.
I hate to admit it, but I think that George has a good point. I like to think that I am a good shot. However, there is the possibility that I will put a bullet in it.
How did it happen George? Wait, I will start a new thread....
Old April 25, 2001, 12:29 PM   #7
drothen

Another happy Chrony user. I paid $68 last year for mine and if I shoot it, they will replace it for even less.
Old April 25, 2001, 09:58 PM   #8
swifter...

Hutch,

Had it in the shop - back to PACT - three times in the last couple years for the same problem. When I punch the "print", it locks up. The last time, they finally communicated the tidbit that "the paper jammed in the printer". No response to my q's like "Was this the problem the other times? Is this something I could clear without sending it in?". Add to this the fact that I got a sheet of paper with it new that said that I 'was on the list" for a free upgrade... Yet after asking about it three times, I was finally informed that the chip cost $25, and they would include instructions on how to install it...

IMHO, their customer service sucks. Their product line is not reliable, either, in my experience. :barf:

Yeah, I have all parts, and some extras. I don't need to get my load development put on hold again, so I don't expect to use it. Chrony is a better buy! Make a reasonable offer. Mounting bar, case, and some spare skyscreen parts...
Old April 26, 2001, 10:04 AM   #9
Hutch

Email is on the way, Swifter.
Old April 30, 2001, 12:17 PM   #10
Charmedlyfe

Guys, I'm one step ahead of you all. Got a CED chrono with the IR screens. I don't worry 'bout no stinkin' atmospheric conditions. This thing reads accurately in the dark (tested it) and in BRIGHT sandpit sunlight. Quality is beyond belief, and the Ohler comes close. Now THEY'RE playing catch-up!!!!
Old April 30, 2001, 06:05 PM   #11
STEVE M

Second the CED recomendation. If you buy it, you will have more money left for ammo to crono! and won't feel lacking for much. A printer would be nice, as would ME in the stats, but for quality, ease of use, features, and price, the CED is great!
Old May 1, 2001, 01:46 PM   #12
freestate

I've never heard of CED chronographs. Were do you get them? Do they have a web site?
Old May 1, 2001, 03:37 PM   #13
tator

Chonos

I have good luck with Competition Electronics Chonos. Only draw back was it quit after running 44 mag through it but they replaced it without problem, but took 6 weeks. Then as I was using it for the 2nd time after replacement, I learned a good lesson. Snub nosed revolver cause you to pull down and I shot the rear scanner.
Old May 2, 2001, 03:52 PM   #14
STEVE M

CED crono's are sold by Dillon's and Brownells. Both have web sites but I am not sure of the links, maybe others can help there.