The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 12, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
south.texas.dead.I

Jammed bullet

I got a cast bullet that was sized through a lee bullet sizing kit to .401 supposedly and it jammed in my barrel, it's just the lead bullet after I fired it. What can y'all advise me to do to get this round out of the barrel thanks?
iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 12, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.texas.dead.I View Post
I got a cast bullet that was sized through a lee bullet sizing kit to .401 supposedly and it jammed in my barrel, it's just the lead bullet after I fired it. What can y'all advise me to do to get this round out of the barrel thanks?
iPhone using Tapatalk
Would melting the lead bullet out with a butane cigar lighter be a bad idea?

iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 12, 2011, 06:41 PM   #3
DnPRK

You need a long brass rod that is close to bore diameter. Field strip the handgun until you have the barrel in hand. Put penetrating oil such as Kroil down the bore. Drive the bullet out using solid hammer blows.

Note: DO NOT use a wooden dowel because it will splinter and you'll have both a stuck bullet and stuck dowel to remove.
Old June 12, 2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Eagle0711

Iv'e tapped them out with a wooden dowel. Use one just under the bore size.
Old June 12, 2011, 08:27 PM   #5
kraigwy

I also use the wood dowel.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 12, 2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Lavid2002

Get a segmented cleaning rod, wrap electrical tape around one end until it is the diameter of the bore, do this about 2" away from the first "roll" again so it looks like this ----N--N Imagine the capital Ns are ET wrapped until it is just shy of the bore size. Now stick it down the bore from the muzzle end, put the barrel on a piece of wood and smack the round out with a hammer. Doesn't take much, put a few drops of oil in the barrel from both ends first.

-Dave
Old June 12, 2011, 09:36 PM   #7
south.texas.dead.I

I got it out with a brass cleaning rod an hammer with a .40 jag on the end thanks all

iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2011, 10:51 PM   #8
Ideal Tool

Glad to hear you got stuck bullet out ok. Now then, if you don't mind telling us...what caused this problem? forgot powder, or too little? Thanks!
Old June 16, 2011, 08:53 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
Would melting the lead bullet out with a butane cigar lighter be a bad idea?
Not as bad an idea as using a cutting torch, but still a bad idea.
Old June 16, 2011, 12:48 PM   #10
brickeyee

Get the correct brass rod.

Using dowels works right up until one splits in the barrel and wedges itself in. making the problem even worse.

The rods are NOT dead soft brass, but are hardened to resist deformation.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:01 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

+1, brickeyee.

Nine times out of ten the dowel splits and adds to the debris that has to be gotten out of the barrel. There is an easy way but if I post it I will get in real trouble from folks who don't understand.

Jim
Old June 17, 2011, 06:18 AM   #12
Mobuck

Don't forget to add the powder next time!!!!!!
Old June 20, 2011, 06:55 AM   #13
Clark

Lead bullets tap out, but jacketed bullets can get wedged in harder.

So for those, I put oil in the bore and hit the oil with the cleaning rod, and the oil pushes on the bullet.

I know a guy that was hunting with his rifle bullet jammed into the lands. At the end of the day, he tried to pull the round out, but the bullet stayed in the lands and powder spilled all over the action.
No one in the hunting camp had a cleaning rod to get the stuck bullet out.
But they did have pliers, and pulled the bullet and powder out of another cartridge. They put two rifles muzzle to muzzle. One fired a primer and the other got the bullet pushed back out of the lands.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 20, 2011, 11:40 AM   #14
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal Tool View Post
Glad to hear you got stuck bullet out ok. Now then, if you don't mind telling us...what caused this problem? forgot powder, or too little? Thanks!
I'm just guessing it was a light charge, I was tuning in my press with the first 50 rounds or so and so I took extra caution when shooting these

iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2011, 12:58 AM   #15
Osage1956

the easy way

First, rig up a way to securely stand the weapon on it's muzzle; you might want it to be standing in a pie-pan, to catch what comes out the muzzle.
Get some mercury; you can break a fever thermometer or dissasemble a thermostat.
With an eyedropper or pipette drop two or three drops of mercury into the bore and leave it standing overnight. The mercury forms a slushy amalgam with the lead bullet, sort of like what dentists use to fill teeth. One push with a jag and out it comes.
This will also work with an FMJ round if it has a lead core. The jacket just collapses like so much copper-foil as you push it out the muzzle.
Old August 20, 2011, 02:04 PM   #16
publius

The mercury is the best way but I didn't have any the only time it happened to me. Blackhawk .45. i removed the cylinder and clamped the gun in a leather padded bench vise muzzle up. Sprayed a helluva lot of Kroil in the barrel and let sit for several hours. Didn't have any brass rod, which is best so I got a long bolt a little smaller than the bore diameter and wrapped it in electrical tape until it was just barely smaller than .45. Dropped the bolt in the muzzle and gave it two firm blows with a hammer. Problem solved and I am now very careful with H110. I pulled the rounds when i got home and the powder was lumped together in some of the cartridges? I actually don't think I've used 110 since, I just don't need that kind of velocity (ruger only load)with a hard cast SWC .45. I get pass-throughs at normal velocities.

Last edited by publius; August 24, 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:25 PM   #17
hooligan1

CLARK NO WAY MAN!!!!you guys don't in Missouri do you?
Old August 24, 2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Tom-C

James K

Not to disagree, but 9 out of 10 times the bullet can come out with a cleaning rod or wood dowel and that is why so many of the people on these forums recommend it.

A little Kroil or other oil. Oil from the direction it went in and out the way it came in. Wood dowel and just a light tap with a hammer or a a light bump with the palm of your hand on a cleaning rod and IF it comes out you are golden. Often in a rifle you can just drop the Brownells Squib rods down the barrel and they will "hammer" the bullet out (may take a few trys).

The ones that don't are the exception and need a Brownells Squib rods or you end up with the splintered dowel, piece of coat hanger and the broken off cleaning rod all in a 3 inch barrel at the same time.

Imagine a brand new 8-inch barrel, 8-shot S&W with 8-148 grain LWC in the barrel. Had to take the barrel off and use an arbor press.