The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
? ? ? ?

need some help and info please

hello, i am looking to buy a 1911 frame, now my question is, if i want to make a compact version where can i buy the frame from? i have done many searches and come up with nothing. also if i buy a complete frame and have it sent to an ffl do i still have to go through a 3 day wait and also an approval? if i have it sent to an ffl will it then be registered? or will it still be off the books (like a 60% frame) so i can do a custom number.also where can i get a good frame for cheap like in the $80-$100 range. if it will be cheaper to do a full size pistol than that is what im looking for thanx guys

P.S. im still here in Florida so if you live here in the Tampa bay area hit me up and i will pay you for your help with my project ( pay for advice and hands on guidance not for you to do the work)

www.huntingclub.com
Old March 22, 2009, 03:03 PM   #2
PetahW

[i am looking to buy a 1911 frame]

[where can i buy the frame from?] - google: "1911 frames for sale"

[if i buy a complete frame and have it sent to an ffl do i still have to go through a 3 day wait and also an approval? if i have it sent to an ffl will it then be registered? or will it still be off the books (like a 60% frame) so i can do a custom number.] -

I don't know where you're getting your information, but the hard fact is that a 1911 frame carries the serial number (custom or not), whether it's a complete frame or a stripper - and therefore is subject to every law that any other pistol is.

[also where can i get a good frame for cheap like in the $80-$100 range.] -

Please let me know where you're getting your drugs. You MIGHT find a brand-X stripped frame for under $100, but not usually a good quality frame - and you're going to be spending the difference and more on installing all the missing parts.

Unless you already have all the other parts needed to build a pistol, you'd be miles ahead buying a good basic 1911, like a RIA, or Norinco - which are the basis of many a custom 1911, both carry and race gun(s).