The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2001, 11:42 AM   #1
saands

I recently ran across a post that made a reference to the existance of a legal limit on how much gunpowder an individual could possess here in California. Does anyone have a source for this info ... I searched the all 29 codes of CA law for gunpowder and didn't come up with anything other than a reference that gave the fire marshall some power to say how it needed to be stored if it were a hazard to life.

Thanks,
Saands
Old April 21, 2001, 12:03 PM   #2
swifter...

:barf:
I don't think they are worried about residential fires...
I have been told more than 20# is a felony, but have no verification.
Another reason to leave PRCA, as if I needed one. At least the last guy out won't have to turn out the lights...
Old April 21, 2001, 04:38 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I would worry more about my homeowners insurance, and common sense, than I would about the PRK or the fire marshal. The NFPA RECOMMENDS a 20 pound maximum. Above that they get into some fancy type storages. Lets face it, if a fire would start, it would be VERY unlikely that the powder started it. If the powder is stored in its factory containers it will simply be consumed in the fire, with no added danger, just a lil WHOOSH! If the insurance claims you have more than 20 pounds say "proove it". That is going to be very hard to do owing to the fact that today most powders come in plastic containers that will be also consumed in the fire . Of course I do not live in the "PRCA" but if I catch anyone, a fire marshal included, snooping on my place and there has been no fire it may well be the last place he snoops.
Old April 21, 2001, 07:41 PM   #4
dick w. holliday

20 pounds!!!!!! i can't sleep at night unless i know for sure that i have at least 20 lbs of each kind and enough primers to shoot it all and enough lead to keep me in bullets until its all gone. i found out a while back that Natchez had AA2200 for 39.95 for 8 pounds which will work in 223 and 308 (My Favorites) and one call later i had 32 pounds on the way and was wondering if i should get some more.....I'm sure i'd be looking for a new homeowners insurance company if i called and asked them if its OK....Dick
Old April 22, 2001, 09:47 AM   #5
Contender

It's funny how we all worry about how much powder we have in the house and we then go ahead and keep gallons of paints and thinners and gasoline in cans and power equipment in the garage and don't give it a second thought.

Also, the car with a nice bomb load of 10 gallons or more of fuel which is routinely parked in the garage when the engine is still hot.

How about the oil burner, it's nothing but a controlled flame thrower. The gas water heater or furnace anyone? Working in this field, I'd be more concerned with these items as I have seen some nasty occurances with them.

Just human nature I guess.

Stored correctly, smokeless powder is probably one of the safest combustibles you can possess. It's like anything, handle it carelessly, and it will make you pay for it.

FWIW

Regards
Old April 22, 2001, 11:09 AM   #6
Kframe

I think Contender has it right.
Pound for pound gasoline is much more hazardous than smokeless powder.

I think our exceptional caution is leftover from the days of our great-grandaddies and black powder.
That's a whole different ballgame.
Since black powder burns at nearly the same rate in a powder can as in a loaded round, it's a force to be reckoned with, especially if you have pounds upon pounds in your basement!
-Kframe
Old April 22, 2001, 01:14 PM   #7
saands

I agree wholeheartedly with the safety of having it here ... my question was one of legislated limits. I would imagine that if there is a federal law limiting an individual to 20 pounds that it would be difficult to place an order for four 8 lb kegs! 32 pounds is, if I am not mistaken, where they usually just start picking up the Haz-Mat fee for you! Sorry to raise the blood pressures around here ... I just saw an undocumented reference and thought that it would be wise to look myself (found nothing) and ask ... again, nothing concrete.

Done!
Thanks,
Saands
Old April 22, 2001, 09:52 PM   #8
dick w. holliday

i forgot to mention my black powder--Now that stuff does Scare me--As usual when i decided to shoot my browning BPCR 45-70 with the black stuff i could not get enough--i went to a store that sold it (they are hard to find)--the clerk asked me how much i wanted and i asked him
'"how much you got"??? Well i ended up with 10 pounds or so and put a 6" PVC pipe about 4 or 5 feet deep in the ground in my back yard (Near the neighbors house i don't like) and stored it there except for one can i keep out to use>>>>Dick