The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Duncan3017

Renewing bluing

Hello. I am new here and looking for some advice. I recently acquired an old Crescent Davis SXS 16. I want to try and renew the bluing on the gun without re-bluing it. Basically, I want it to keep its old appearance, but shine/clean it up a bit. Any recommendations on products and/or techniques?
Old September 8, 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

I usually use a fine grade of bronze wool, 4/0 steel wool as a second choice. Spray a little RemOil on the metal and polish gently, wiping the result off regularly with a rag and respraying and rubbing till the grunge is gone. Really makes an old gun look good. Please take that old gun to a smith for checking. Not too likely to have Damascus barrels but possible, in which case I recommend not shooting, or at least nothing more than blackpowder loads. The main problem is that it is highly likely that the gun is chambered for 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" shells, only a gunsmith can tell for sure. Not a good idea to shoot 2 3/4" modern ammo in such, pressures tend to shoot upward. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder