The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2011, 01:16 PM   #1
globemaster3

AR-15 Trigger Recommendation for Hunting

Let me say thanks in advance for your wisdom on this topic.

First, let me say I've checked out the excellent work on the AR15.com site dedicated to AR-15 triggers, but it didn't go far enough in answering all my questions.

Here is my problem: I have a couple AR-15s and an LR308B with stock triggers that are intended for hunting. After getting behind an M-24 and feeling a great trigger, my current ones just don't satisfy.

Now, I am a relative novice to trigger talk. I understand the basic concepts of single stage vs 2 stage, but what I really like is what I felt on the M-24: a smooth takeup with a crisp release set light. But is that the best setup for hunting? Is there anything else that I don't understand that is germane to the discussion?

What triggers would you recommend below $250?
Old August 24, 2011, 01:32 PM   #2
CowTowner

I have and love the Timney Single Stage drop in trigger on my AR-7.62x39mm and it meets your price requirements.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 24, 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
TATER

AR Gold is my choice.

http://www.americantrigger.com/index...&id=32&Itemid=
Old August 24, 2011, 02:50 PM   #4
globemaster3

Thank you gentlemen for your recommendations. Allow me to dig a little further: what do you like about them? What makes them stand out in your book? What trigger weight are you using in them?
Old August 24, 2011, 04:42 PM   #5
CowTowner

Clean brake with a 3 lb pull. Drop-in installation.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 24, 2011, 05:19 PM   #6
TATER

Same here, 3 pounds. With no perceived over travel, quick reset. Its a nice trigger.
you would not go wrong with either the Timney or Pact, also Chip McCormick (spell'en?)
HTH
Old August 26, 2011, 02:56 PM   #7
HiBC

Gisselle 2 stage enhanced.
Old August 31, 2011, 02:21 PM   #8
globemaster3

Gents, my thanks and appreciation to all for your inputs! Due to the slow traffic here, I also started a similar thread in The Art of the Rifle.