The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2010, 09:16 AM   #51
johnbt

"so my guess is that they will continue to charge ridiculous prices as long as people will pay them. I can see a couple thousand, maybe 3 thousand for a really nice shotgun, but more than that is just sillyness."

Did you come here to get an answer to a question? I don't think so because your mind is made up on the subject and you're not listening to the answers.

"which tolerances in a shotgun are critical to make it more accurate, durable etc?"

Durable? Talking about SxS and O/U shotguns, it's the hinge area that weakens, stretches, and fails. (That's if the trigger doesn't break first or some other part like breaking firing pins one after the other.) Better designs cost money. Better steel costs money. And better steel requires better tools to work it.

Going back about 5 years before WWII, my father bought an Essex SxS 16 ga made by Crescent for a big hardware store in St. Louis. By the time he left for the Pacific, the hinge was loose (shot loose, off the face, by whatever name) and the gun was junked by his brother. It worked fine for 5 years of upland/mountain hunting in the Blue Ridge, but when it started falling apart it couldn't be fixed at a reasonable price.

In the early '60s I got a brand new Fox Model B 12 ga. SxS. It was just plain clunky and heavy and unweildy and it kicked, and the M/F chokes were more like F/EF and just shredded quail and rabbits. I was a disappointed 13-year-old. My uncle sold it to a guy at work and I learned another lesson. I should have bought a 20 ga. Model 12 like my father's.

You keep believing what you like, but you'd be wise to listen to the voices of experience.

Even my father, with his love of the Win Model 12, could appreciate a nice double when he was in his 80s. They feel and handle differently. He paid $2400 for this 28 ga. Guerini Woodlander 6 or 7 years ago. It's not even handmade, it's machine made.

Last edited by johnbt; October 9, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old October 9, 2010, 11:28 AM   #52
PJR

Quote:
Did you come here to get an answer to a question? I don't think so because your mind is made up on the subject and you're not listening to the answers.
No point in spending time on a closed mind. For those who don't understand and are unwilling or unable to grasp concepts beyond their experience or intelligence it's generally a waste of time trying to explain it. For them no explanation is sufficient.

For those who do understand no explanation is necessary.
Old October 9, 2010, 03:34 PM   #53
oneounceload

JohnBT - nice CG! How does your dad like it? (Amazing what CNC can do these days)
Old October 11, 2010, 10:53 PM   #54
Bearstopper

hahahaha wow you guys are touchy.
Old October 11, 2010, 11:46 PM   #55
clang

A very good reason for buying a Beretta or Browning vs the CZ, etc is resale value. They will retain a higher percentage of their new price than many other guns.

Beretta and Browning both have excellent reputations, and the used market recognizes it and it willing to pay more for it.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:38 AM   #56
johnbt

"nice CG! How does your dad like it?"

Thanks, he likes it just fine, but he gave it to me - used of course - for my birthday before he and my mother had to move to assisted living/nursing.

Know what I got for my birthday the following year? He gave me $30 and told me to buy a new billfold. Mine was literally falling apart at the seams.

It's a great shotgun. It has 28" barrels and weighs 6# 2 ounces. Here's an overhead view next to a 12 ga. 870 Express, also with a 28" barrel.