The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 12, 2004, 10:20 PM   #51
JerryM

I once had a gopher in my yard, and I finally got two gopher traps, found his tunne, set one each direction, and caught the gopher. The cat ate him legs and all.
You're going to laugh at this, but I had a neighbor who had one, and she had been told to get the little whirly birds on a stick, and put a couple around where he was. She did and he left. I don't know if it was coincidence or what. I also read somewhere that it would work, but I used the traps.

I tried water and poison grain, and nothing worked.

Go get a couple of gopher traps.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old September 10, 2004, 01:08 PM   #52
claude783

OK, watched this trick while I was in Viet Nam and used it to catch ground squirrels.

Also used it to feed a buddy's snake...

Take a gallon, GLASS, pickle jar.

Fill with water.

Tip it upside down over the gopher hole, and as the water drains into the hole the gopher will pop out into the jar spitting, coughing out water.

Add lid, spray in a little car starting fluid, wait till said animal dies...repeat as necessary!

The second method would be to go and gather castor beans...they grow wild here in the People's Republic...be careful as they are considered a WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION so even getting caught with the beans might present a problem.

Wear gloves, do not handle (scent, not danger) and put a few of the beans in and a round the gopher holes...a few days all will be right with the world!
Old October 26, 2004, 11:26 AM   #53
Rolkin

My dad just used soapy water and poured it over the tunnels, seems to piss them off and he'd pop them when they'd come out of the tunnel with his airgun.

I have a 5 acre yard though and it's filled with the little buggers so I'm not sure what to do there must be tunnel across 4 of the 5 acres ... and that's alot of ground to cover.
Thomas Jefferson: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
-- Quoting 18th Century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764.)
Old October 26, 2004, 11:45 AM   #54
Sneevil

http://www.rodenator.com/

I've been thinking about quitting my day job, buying one of these and going into business.
Old October 26, 2004, 12:36 PM   #55
Rolkin

Wow all that and a price tag of only $1900 does look kinda fun though
Thomas Jefferson: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
-- Quoting 18th Century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764.)
Old October 27, 2004, 02:00 PM   #56
Rmouleart

A sure fire method to get rid of gophers, breakup juicy fruit gum around there holes, they will eat it, then pug up there plumbing and die, works every time, works great on mice and moles also, I learned it from a old farmer, he said it was crude but worked great, I guess outside it would work great, but in the house the mice might die in the walls you might get a awful scent coming out of the walls in a month or so LOL. Aim Small hit small. RAMbo.
Old November 16, 2004, 12:45 PM   #57
FirstFreedom

Quote:
ferret legalization war
You guys are really tacklin the tough issue out there in Cali, eh Jim?

JK. Praytell, WHY are they illegal? Are the a nuisance if they escape I'm guessing - getting into people's trash, etc.?