The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 12, 2018, 01:24 PM   #51
Lohman446

The need for a "perfect" grip can be drastically overstated. I understand that the OP has a very particular issue and that other comparable pistols don't have that issue for him. It doesn't matter exactly where the fault lies in that. As he is not required to use a particular pistol switching seems a simple enough answer.

I have never experienced such an issue and I assure you that my form, including my grip, is FAR from perfect.
Old November 13, 2018, 02:20 PM   #52
Dave T

Over a dozen Glocks over the years and I have never had a problem with them functioning. The OP on the other hand seems to have problems all the time.

It would seem self evident the OP should not own, shoot, or carry Glocks.

If they work for you fine. If they don't work for you...fine! Why all the grousing about it? Oh yea, people like to beat up on Glocks. Well if that works for you go ahead but I'm not reading any more of this. (smile)

Dave
Old November 13, 2018, 02:32 PM   #53
stagpanther

To the OP--when you say "boom, jam"--what actually happens when the gun jams? Be sure to describe as accurately as you can the actual jam prior to "fussing" with the gun.
Old November 13, 2018, 07:42 PM   #54
Josh17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Over a dozen Glocks over the years and I have never had a problem with them functioning. The OP on the other hand seems to have problems all the time.

If they work for you fine. If they don't work for you...fine! Why all the grousing about it? Oh yea, people like to beat up on Glocks. Well if that works for you go ahead but I'm not reading any more of this. (smile)

Dave
lol I love Glocks and think they are superior to other handguns due to their simplicity and so few parts. I believe reliability is king.

Now I have owned basically only Glocks my entire life and this problem is relatively new. I mainly noticed it once I started to go to the range for the first time ever regularly. Also I hurt my wrist this year so that didn’t help.

I’ve shot more this year then all the previous years in my life put together.

So Glocks are damn good guns and I hate to have to sell them all, but all the compacts I guess don’t work for me anymore for whatever reason. The Glock 19 is basically 100% unless I purposely tried to induce a limp wrist failure. Even when I do normally the Glock 19 has a failure to feed from trying to limp wrist it.
While if I purposely try to induce a limp wrist on a Glock 43 it’ll normally have a stovepipe, or a failure to feed. So it seems the smaller the gun the worse it is. Which makes sense.

But like I said I decided to move past Glock and try something else that has worked for me, like S&W shield, etc.
Old November 15, 2018, 10:46 AM   #55
Josh Smith

Old November 15, 2018, 03:35 PM   #56
hogwiley

Thats how glock are unfortunately. Polymer guns seem more prone to this but glocks are the worst. Hotter ammo seems less prone to this, if not completely eliminates it.

U can try something else. I dont think you can induce a limpwrist malfunction in a sig classic. Those are larger heavier guns though unfortunately.

Glock 40s seem less prone to this than 9mm, but they will punish your wrist more.

Ive personally not had an issue with lumpwristing, although i did have a gen 4 glock 23 that had a few fte’s for unknown reasons, so who onows if grip played into it.
Old November 15, 2018, 06:36 PM   #57
Jdin8455

I've seen new shooters use Glocks, who's grips were not ideal, and I've never seen malfunctions.
Old November 16, 2018, 05:47 AM   #58
hemiram

If a gun limpwrists, I "forgive it" for a couple of hundred rounds. If it keeps doing it, it's gone. I have approx 2 dozen semiautos currently, and none of them limpwrists. Most are steel or alum framed with steel slides, but I have several polymer guns from SAR, Taurus, and Tanfoglio, and they all shoot fine with a very weak grip on them. Bad ammo is about the only thing that causes any issues and I haven't had any lately. They even shoot the steel cased stuff that has caused problems in the past without a problem.
Old November 17, 2018, 06:43 PM   #59
Dave T

Good grief, read the thread. Guns don't "limp wrist", people do.

Dave
Old November 19, 2018, 12:47 PM   #60
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post

Dave
Pretty much. Seems the user and the platform are incompatible.

Me? I've owned most size and caliber Glocks over the years and have never once had an issue with limp wresting, even when shooting in odd positions or weak hand or trying to make it limp wrist.

My wife and her much smaller hands and general dislike for autoloaders (and often odd grip till I make her correct it) never has had an issue with my Glocks either. Though she prefers my (hers, now) 229 with the E2 grips.

Some guns dont fit some people.
Old November 19, 2018, 01:59 PM   #61
Iron bottom

I would guess that all the plaskit guns have a heavy recoil spring to avoid slamming that stamped sheet metal and plaskit receivers.
Old November 20, 2018, 12:32 PM   #62
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
The Glock's frame flexes, absorbing energy that would otherwise be used for cycling the action.

The Glock is therefore more prone to your limpwristing than, say, steel pistols.
Hush, Josh, don't let anyone hear you blaspheming God's own pistol. Don't you realize that all Glocks are perfect in all ways, for all shooters, and for all uses.

You need to atone for your blasphemy by joining with the others who have posted approved litany that the original poster's problem is entirely his fault for not being able to conform to the all-perfect Glock, especially when he brazenly claims to not have a problem shooting all those lesser pistols.
Old November 20, 2018, 10:32 PM   #63
Josh17

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4aof View Post
Hush, Josh, don't let anyone hear you blaspheming God's own pistol. Don't you realize that all Glocks are perfect in all ways, for all shooters, and for all uses.

You need to atone for your blasphemy by joining with the others who have posted approved litany that the original poster's problem is entirely his fault for not being able to conform to the all-perfect Glock, especially when he brazenly claims to not have a problem shooting all those lesser pistols.
Thank you.

I don’t think most people are reading the post here, AT ALL...

As I stated: I can pick up a S&W Shield (basically same size as a Glock 43, both single stack CC 9mm pistols) and shoot it using ONLY THE WEB OF MY HAND + 2 FINGERS TO SHOOT THR PISTOL - and it does NOT have any limp wrist malfunctions. Again: it doesn’t have an issue. And yes, I seriously have held it that weakly to test it.
This also isn’t an issue with Beretta 92FS, Sig P226, S&W compact 9mm, and Springfield XD-s 9mm, and a couple of others I believe I tried also.

ONLY the Glocks would constantly jam when shot weak handed (so limp wrist was my first thought) so I then PURPOSELY limp wristed all sorts of pistols from Glocks to Sigs to XD to see if I was correct in that my left handed shooting malfunctions where limp wrist induced - and it turns out, yes, yes they are.
If I put a “death grip” on a Glock 26 or 43 I can properly shoot it as close to 100% as possible with no limp wrist issues. But I’m not going to hold my handgun in a super grip to make it function one handed.

This is not bashing Glocks at all. I simply wanted to know WHY a S&W shield has zero issues (for me) while the Glock 43 will jam every other shot if fired the same way?? I wanted to know is it the recoil spring? Or something about bore axis and grip angle? Or Is it _________ ??? I don’t know. Remember the Shiekd and xds are also polymer single stack 9mm pistols, so it cannot be due to the polymer.. As in all my testing the S&W compact and shield have been 100% and they are polymer, while the Steel framed Sig P226 did have 1-2 malfunctions when I held it super weak (on purpose) but that’s all - I could only induce 1-2 jams at the range on the steel Sig, otherwise it kept shooting fine. While if I picked up the Glock it would happen literally every other round, again only if purposely limp wristing it, as I’m testing each pistols reliability if shot with a comprised grip or weak grip. - as to me that’s a critical factor in a pistols reliability.
No, Glocks do NOT limp wrist on me if I shoot two handed and with a good grip the Glocks are reliable. But I’m not testing two handed grip. I’m testing weak grip and one handed, as from what I have read that is a very likely possibility to encounter.

Again: this is not an anti-Glock thread. I love Glocks. Which is why I wish I knew what in the world makes them so different (for me) vs other polymer pistols. Thats all. Glocks are great handguns.

Last edited by Josh17; November 20, 2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old November 20, 2018, 10:56 PM   #64
44 AMP
Staff

Have you considered the possibility that the Glock just doesn't like you??

And that is a (semi) serious question. While it seems to defy logic, reason, and science, it has been my experience that some machines behave in a way that varies with the operator. Some of them SEEM to have personalities, and some of those personalities are very ….particular about what and who they like, and don't like.

Friend of mine had a Chevy pickup. Standard 3 on the tree. His truck loved him, didn't like me. I could ride hundreds of miles with him driving, and the shift linkage would jam up, maybe once. If I drove, it would jam up at the first stoplight. Now, I know how to drive a standard, and do fine with Fords, Chryslers, and even OTHER Chevys, but that one truck, just didn't like me...
IF he was in the truck, it would work ok, even with me driving...never could figure out any valid reason, other than it didn't like me driving it.

There seem to be certain people who have a jinx for some specific things. If everything else works fine and one gun or gun type doesn't, for no reason you can figure out, might be best just to accept it and move on.
Old November 20, 2018, 11:23 PM   #65
Josh17

Could very well be, lol. I just don’t want to sell my current Glocks as I’ve had them for so long... I never noticed issues before really as I never practiced weak hand grip shooting until recently.

But yeah I was (am?) a major Glock fanboy. I did buy a new pistol, a xds 9mm. I like it A LOT and it seems “higher quality” then say the Glock 43 or 26. BUT... that Glock voice in my head keeps telling me it’s less reliable since it has all these extra parts, so more to go wrong, etc... LoL.

I mean technically is true. Like the grip safety I am not a fan of. That’s one extra part (or parts) that can all break. If that breaks the weapon becomes useless....

So pure reliability is key for me. I would buy a makarov pistol but they are all used since they aren’t made anymore. I’d like to buy a brand new pistol vs a used one as who knows what it’s been through or what’s been changed....
So I love revolvers for their reliability and have a couple of them... But I’d much prefer a very reliable single stack 9mm! Glock 43 would be perfect if the pistol didn’t hate me! I can shoot semis better, have more capacity, faster reloads (mag vs speed loader) and easier to add custom sights, etc.
Old November 20, 2018, 11:39 PM   #66
Josh17

People are so defensive over their pistols.

Here, unless you think MAC is wrong and you are right, then this video explains why it matters:

https://youtu.be/H_Uqtz2asE4
“It happens to experienced shooters too”

Rough quote from around 5:10 mark from military arms channel video:

It IS a concern in a self defense handgun. You might be injured or hurt; you don’t get a good grip on the handgun when you present from the holster, and you might not be able to hold onto that pistol porplerly for that first shot, and yes that can cause a malfunction

That says it all. God forbid you ever have to draw your CC it’s very possible you may get a poor draw, or simply not enough time where you have to draw and shoot at basically the same time. This would cause even the most experienced shooters to have an improper grip - which *may* cause a malfunction. We don’t know how often it happens as no-one keeps odd random stats like that, but it’s a valid concern.

At the 7:00 mark in the video he makes the most valid point of all.

Last edited by Josh17; November 20, 2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old November 20, 2018, 11:45 PM   #67
TunnelRat

As I said before and others as well, do what works for you. Don't worry about convincing others on the internet that frankly don't matter in your life. It will save you frustration and time. If people can't be bothered to read the thread that's their problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2018, 12:49 AM   #68
JohnKSa
Staff

I'm starting to have to do cleanup work on this thread because people are getting bent out of shape. I'm not sure there's anything more that really needs to be said.

Not all guns work for everyone. Guns that don't work for some folks often do work for others. Fortunately there are many, many different types of quality guns to choose from so we can all pick what works best for us.

Let's leave it there for now.