The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 15, 2017, 04:12 PM   #1
MSD Mike

1903A3 Info

Several years ago my father in-law gave me a very nice Remington 1903A3. He had owned the gun for as long as I can remember and gave it to me before he passed away. According to the barrel markings and serial number it was made in1943. I would love to know the history of the rifle but don't know enough about them to properly research it. Is there anyone here that can tell me what markings are needed to figure out this rifles history.
For example, there are markings on the bolt, serial number, markings on the barrel, markings on the stock etc etc. I just don't know how to figure it all out.
Rifle is in great shape with a nice shiny (Four groove) bore, shoots beautifully and is very accurate with both factory ammo and my cast bullet hand-loads. I also have the bayonet and sling. I'm keeping it forever and would like to know more about it.
If there are any experts here that can help I'll gladly provide any info that will help.

Thanks
Mike
Old May 16, 2017, 07:03 AM   #2
HiBC

He must have noticed his Daughter was happy and well cared for.And safe.
That's the only reason I ever gave my Son in Law a shooting iron.
Not every son in law gets considered. Speaks well of you.
And he gave you his Springfield? That IS something special.
There are some fine folks who will be along soon can tell you what you need to know.
Old May 16, 2017, 08:36 AM   #3
kraigwy

You might consider going to Amazon.com and picking up this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Model-Springf...03+springfield

It has a great deal of information and I'm sure it will cover the information you are looking for.

Congrats on you're rifle. I have a copy of each US Service rifle, from the 50 Cal Springfield trap door, M1873 45-70 Trapdoor, Krag, M1903A3, Garand, Carbine and civil legal version of the M14, M16A1, A2 and A4.

It is my opinion that the M1903A3 is the best and most accurate, military made.

I shoot the CMP Vintage rifle games and the Springfields dominate. You can see that by the cut off scores for the award pins the CMP gives to those who shoot a certain score in their matches.

Back to the information:

The book mentioned above is excellent for showing the information on different Springfield's but if you're really interested, the best book by far on the Springfield 1903 Series rifles is Crossman's Book of the Springfield. Every Springfield owner should have his book.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...dward+Crossman

I've never read anyone who knew more about the Springfield's then Cpt. Edward Crossman.

I'd also suggest shooting your rifle in the CMP's GSM Matches, Springfield Category. It wont hurt the gun, and will add to your knowledge of its capabilities.

To attest to the accuracy of the M1903a3 action, it was the action chosen by the Army to make their Mann Devices. The Mann Device is a super accurate barreled action, with a heavy barrel, used by the Army to test the accuracy of their ammo. The A3 action Mann was made in '06, 308, 45 ACP, 22 Hornet, 30 Carbine and maybe more that I'm not aware of.

I have a Mann in 5.56 but its on a M700 Remington Action. I don't know when or why they switched or if the Remington was used in other calibers.

I would also recommend visiting the CMP Forums, the Bolt Action section. Those people are a world of information on the M1903s and other US Military Rifles.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Again, congrats on your rifle, a true treasure

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; May 16, 2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old May 16, 2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Jim Watson

There is some information on markings at
http://m1903.com/

There is a specialty forum at:
http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

And the CMP
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79
Old May 16, 2017, 11:35 AM   #5
MSD Mike

Great info Guys, looks like I have some books to get and some research to do. I have had the rifle for several years and only have about 100 rounds through it. Looking forward to getting it out more now and want to be able to tell the "Story" when someone inevitably asks questions about it.

Thanks
Mike
Old May 26, 2017, 10:55 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like Bruce Canfield's book on Springfields. It's the most up to date work there is.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:15 PM   #7
Water-Man

In my opinion, it was a better rifle than the M1. More accurate, more rugged and dependable. Just not a semi-auto.
Old May 27, 2017, 06:24 AM   #8
amd6547

A better rifle than the Garand? Nah.
My dad was in the army prewar, and had plenty of 03 experience. He was very happy with the performance of the M1 Garand he used in Europe.
Old May 27, 2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Water-Man

^^^ Just because your father was happy with the M1 has no bearing on my comment. Don' be so quick to say no to what another person says about something you yourself know nothing about.^^^
Old May 28, 2017, 02:44 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, Water-man, but I think your comment applies to itself and is uncalled for. Amd's post simply says what his father believed, that the M1 was a far better combat weapon than the M1903, a conclusion drawn by everyone I knew who used both rifles in combat. I have no knowledge of your experience, but both rifles are very rugged and dependable. The M1 "off the shelf" is not usually as accurate as the M1903, but both rifles require "tuning" to bring out their best accuracy; when that is done, they are about equal in accuracy.

Jim
Old May 28, 2017, 03:00 PM   #11
HiBC

"Better" ???
Which is better,Keds,or Red Ball Jets? Yugo vs Renault "le Thing"
Flintstones or Yogi the Bear? Twinkies or Ding Dongs?
Is it better to cut a Peanut butter and jelly sandwich diagonally or square?

I have a suggestion. Instead of getting your speedos lathered up (or,as you prefer,your thong floss in a knot)

Try this:

"In my OPINION ,the Swordfish Torpedo Plane was the most effective combat plane....

Or, "My PREFERENCE is Cholulas vs catchup

Then we don't have to get into "My Dad can beat up your Mom's Cousin"

In the immortal words of Mr King,"Can't we all just get along?"
Old May 28, 2017, 03:08 PM   #12
amd6547

My opinion is based upon my own experience owning both rifles. I still own my Grandfathers 03A3 sporter.
The Springfield is an excellent rifle, no doubt.
I do give my dads opinion some weight, though. He was a weapons Sargent in a prewar cavalry unit with mixed horse/armored car. Then, he went to France and Germany.
Old May 28, 2017, 04:39 PM   #13
Water-Man

"Sorry, Water-man, but I think your comment applies to itself and is uncalled for. Amd's post simply says what his father believed, that the M1 was a far better combat weapon than the M1903, a conclusion drawn by everyone I knew who used both rifles in combat. I have no knowledge of your experience, but both rifles are very rugged and dependable. The M1 "off the shelf" is not usually as accurate as the M1903, but both rifles require "tuning" to bring out their best accuracy; when that is done, they are about equal in accuracy."

Sorry to you also, James K, but I think your comment to me is uncalled for. Amd did not simply say what his father believed. He said no to what I stated as being in my opinion. Without proof to the contrary. It obviously would have been more proper to say IMO, not 'no' to what I said.

You yourself stated that the M1 is not as accurate 'off the shelf' and (I don't know about you) I didn't see much 'tuning' going on during combat to make a rifle more accurate.

Let's get the story straight.
Old May 28, 2017, 04:48 PM   #14
Water-Man

amd, I too have owned both rifles. The M1 was the first rifle that was issued to me in the military. I haven't any combat experience with either.

We are both entitled to our opinions. Our father's opinion on the subject doesn't make either of us right or wrong. End of story.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:08 PM   #15
amd6547

What-ever.
My dad didn't complain about the accuracy of the M1 firing from hedgerow to hedgerow at Falaise. He also found the M1 accurate enough shooting through trees to hit the German on the other side and using it to dismantle stone walls the Krauts were firing from.
Personally, for a combat bolt action, I prefer the kar98k or the Lee Enfield. For accuracy, I'll choose my K31.

Last edited by amd6547; May 28, 2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:30 PM   #16
Powermwt

Not quite sure how this thread went sideways but here is another thread on the topic. https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=517959

I think the M1903 is a great part of US rifle history and sure like shooting mine!

Old June 4, 2017, 10:03 AM   #17
MSD Mike

Lol, I haven't checked this thread in awhile. Not quite sure how it turned into a fight. I don't really care about the ''best'' combat rifle, just wondering about the history of an interesting old rifle I'm ucky enough to own.

Mike
Old June 12, 2017, 09:17 AM   #18
kraigwy

Quote:
I like Bruce Canfield's book on Springfields. It's the most up to date work there is.
I stand corrected. Friday I just picked up a copy of Canfield's book on the Springfield's.

I now have to agree with Gary, as to date it appears to be the most informative. Crossman is more into the shooting and competition of the Springfield.

Canfield's is better in the break down and history of the rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071