The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 12, 2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Lavan

Anyone think "Python Madness" is about done?

I'm not seeing QUITE as many for sale at the high prices of 6 months ago.

Old July 12, 2018, 11:57 AM   #2
mcb66

When the Walking Dead show started loosing viewers; the Python aura started to fade... Coincidence?
Old July 12, 2018, 11:57 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I sold mine years ago and haven't missed it since the day I sold it. That was over thirty years ago. I honestly never understood the following it had. It was a good gun, but it just didn't have that kind of appeal for me.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:32 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

I just checked on Guns International and prices run from

$2,000 to $17,000.

It just depends on how the guns come as to price.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:55 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

The Python has the only factory trigger that does not need work. Mind you, that's also why the MSRP started at a grand for a .357 revolver.
"...Walking Dead show..." TV shows and movies sell more firearms than any marketing dept. can ever dream about selling. Ever time any Dirty Harry movies runs on TV, sales of Smith 29's skyrocket. Ditto for M1 Rifles and Carbines when a new or old W.W. II movie runs.
Old July 12, 2018, 02:21 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I bought a 4" blued one about eight yeas ago - 'cause I'd always heard about the "Python Experience" - shot it twice I think - didn't really like it. Yep it had a good trigger and was pretty - but I'll take my old 5" S & W M & P anytime. Sold the Python - made a good profit on it and never looked back. Been there, done that. Chalk it up to "we all like different things".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 12, 2018, 03:07 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I should probably take the profit on mine and run.
In the 1970s, the Python was the leading edge, but the L Smiths and improvements in action work have pretty much obsoleted it.
Old July 12, 2018, 03:18 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

Owning and shooting a Python is the same as shooting a Beretta, Caesar Guerini,
or Krieghoff shotguns, their made so much better.

As in all things that shoot there are many that go bang, but some just shoot better.
And they are built better!
Old July 12, 2018, 04:01 PM   #9
JMag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I should probably take the profit on mine and run.

In the 1970s, the Python was the leading edge, but the L Smiths and improvements in action work have pretty much obsoleted it.

Blasphemy, dear sir...blasphemy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 12, 2018, 04:36 PM   #10
UncleEd

JMag1,

Is Jim Watson's "blasphemy" in religious context
or just as to a debate of verifiable facts?

In either case, you should consider taking Mr. Watson'
to court. I suggest the old law firm of Dewey,
Cheatham and Howe.

Depending the way the verdict goes, will you be
willing to see a Python be burned at the stake?
Old July 12, 2018, 05:30 PM   #11
MTT TL

Nope. Too many collectors with suitcases full of the things that they won't sell. It got to the point of ridiculousness well before TWD was a thing. That just threw some gas on the fire.
Old July 12, 2018, 05:38 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

There'as a finite supply of Pythons and they're disappearing off the market and into private hands where they tend to stay.

The top grade condition guns are pretty well bought up so prices and sales tend to drop.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:07 PM   #13
MTT TL

When I see an 8" blued model at 60% for $3999, I know it has been sitting for a while. But it makes a conversation piece for a small business owner.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:28 PM   #14
Pikie

I paid $800 and change for my 4" Python new in 1981. They are going for three to five times that. My Remington 788 6mm was $99 in 1978. They are going for three to five times that. A Savage 24 was $79.00. They are going for three to five times that. See a pattern? The Python is a good gun. Not great, but good. The double action pull is very long. I had several S&W K frames that had work done on them and they performed better than the Pythons did. But hey they are as hot right now as the 6.5 "Manbun"! So go get what you want and enjoy! I hope the trend continues.
Old July 12, 2018, 10:13 PM   #15
reddog81

It looks like the market has topped out. Now the question is do the prices maintain the lofty premiums or dip back down to reality.

FWIW Pythons have all been in private hands for a decade or much longer. TWD didn't do anything to sell anymore Pythons than were already out there. The Pythons that had existed just rose in value.
Old July 12, 2018, 11:06 PM   #16
mete

I remember a time when some of the Colts I was working on had better triggers than the typical pythons !! When those Colts had the same lock work as the much higher priced pythons ! Marketing can do wonders !!
Old July 12, 2018, 11:34 PM   #17
Chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
The Python has the only factory trigger that does not need work.
Thats what I've always heard. But, Ill put my 629s factory trigger up against a python any day, any time. The sad part is mine is most likely the exception rather than the rule.

And sorry, no offense to those who like the snake guns, but my personal opinion is they're fugly.
Old July 13, 2018, 02:31 AM   #18
kozak6

I was thinking about a Python in the late 2000's, and then the Walking Dead came out. Oh well. I just hope there aren't any fictional pistoleros with a fondness for Dan Wessons.

Quote:
I paid $800 and change for my 4" Python new in 1981.
An inflation calculator suggests that is about $2300 current dollars.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:47 AM   #19
Lavan

I've had and sold three.
Tried to like them but just couldn't.
Wrong "hang" for my shooting style.

I even tried different grips.
I do wish I hadn't sold the last one just 2 months before Colt announced the discontinuance though.
Old July 13, 2018, 09:08 AM   #20
rodfac

Quote:
The Python has the only factory trigger that does not need work.
Sure, if you like a DA pull that stacks...hype from the collector crowd...Get a Smith if you want to shoot, or a Colt if you like to fondle. YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 13, 2018, 10:09 AM   #21
laytonj1

Quote:
I paid $800 and change for my 4" Python new in 1981.
You sure about that? That’s awfully expensive.
I only paid $650 OTD for a brand new 6” blue in 1992. $550 for a used 6” nickle in 1996 and $1K each for a pair of used 4” er’s in 2008. All of those prices were the going rates at the time.

Jim
Old July 13, 2018, 10:15 AM   #22
Don Fischer

I always wanted a Python but never had one. Settled fot a Trooper MK III and loved it. The thing I'd heard about pythons were they were good to adjust the trigger's on. Don't remember if they had a flat spring or coil spring. Think flat as my Trooper had a coil spring. I'd still be a happy guy to have either the Python or another Trooper.
Old July 13, 2018, 10:16 AM   #23
Pikie

You sure about that? That’s awfully expensive.

Yes. I know it was high. It was the only one around deal. Remember revolvers dropped in price for a while in the late eighties and early nineties when the market was flooded with police trade ins.
Old July 13, 2018, 11:47 AM   #24
Lavan

+1 on the "stacking."
I think that was my MAIN complaint on the Colts.

Although the lockup is REALLY good, that last lil jink bothers me. (talking DA...single action no notice.)

I have a M66 S&W with the most unbelievably good trigger right from the factory.

Actually better than a "tuned" Smith.

Go figger.
Old July 13, 2018, 05:41 PM   #25
603Country

I have a Python that I bought in the early 80’s for about $360. It’s a 4 inch Nickel model. I assume, from the slight wear pattern, that was a cop’s gun. In and out of a holster. Wonderful single action trigger pull and a long but very smooth DA pull. What I don’t know is whether not it was ever ‘smoothed’ by a gunsmith. The grandkids love to shoot it, and they and their friends are TWD fans, so they like to have their picture taken with it. But, the gun was getting a lot of use, so I bought a 686 Plus, also 4 inch to take most of the use. Out of the box, it was nowhere near as good as the Python, so I found a good gunsmith and had it smoothed out. Right now I’ll say that they are about equal in trigger pulls, and both are great. That said, if I had one bullet to make one shot for all the money, I’d use the Python. I shoot it just a little bit better. But, that’s just me.