The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 9, 2018, 03:52 AM   #1
jimmyb

Ruger 22 MK IV

I'm thinking about buying a Ruger 22 Mark IV because the take down is very simple. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Is it accurate etc....
Old July 9, 2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Targa

Picked up a 6” MK IV standard for my dad as a Christmas gift. It is an excellent shooter and accurate with the fixed sights. I plan on picking up the same gun for myself.
Old July 9, 2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Wishoot

Should have my new MKIV Target by Wednesday morning.
Old July 9, 2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Areoflyer09

Mine has been accurate and hasn’t given me any issue.

I bought it for the same reason, the easy take down, and I don’t shoot it as much as I do my MkIII Lite. The safeties on the MkIV dig into the webbing of my hand, just creates an unpleasantness that the MkIII doesn’t. It’s not something I notice holding it but shows up after 200 rounds of shooting. So for me the easy take down doesn’t make the MkIV worth the cost, but it also seems to be just me that has had an issue with this. Otherwise it’s an accurate and reliable 22.
Old July 9, 2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Pahoo

Hard to improve on perfection

I have no issues with the MK-IV but why would I want one if I'm perfectly happy with owning any of the predecessors. Taking one down, is not a problem anymore. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 9, 2018, 11:32 AM   #6
kenny53

I have heard nothing but good about the MK IV. If I were to buy one it would be easy of disassembly and reassembly. I have a a MK II that I love to death except when it comes to reassembly.
Old July 9, 2018, 11:37 AM   #7
jimmyb

Just bought one today. Put 500 rounds through it. Works perfectely.. Ver accurate. Thanks for the resonses
Old July 9, 2018, 05:17 PM   #8
9mm

7 posts in 11 years, wow.. The new take down models I have seen a few reports of it being hard to put back together. I think it was user error, I am about to buy my second Ruger MK, this time a new model IV target edition.
I just picked up 8 additional magazines for my III and soon to be IV, my friends really like the III model I have.
Old July 10, 2018, 11:30 PM   #9
sigxder

A friend bought one. The trigger pull is much heavier than early models. Don't know if it's just hers or the guns in general.
Old July 12, 2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I have a Mk IV 22/45 Lite and Mrs. McGee has a Mk IV 22/45. Love 'em. My Lite had to have a few mags through it before it really ran, but I think all is well with the world now.
Old July 12, 2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Wishoot

Only had it to the range once, but so far, so good.

100 rounds of Mini Mags
50 Rounds CCI SV
50 Rounds Aguila SE

No malfunctions and pretty dang accurate to boot. The only modification may be new FO sights as I have a very hard time with black sights. Trigger is good as-is and should improve a bit with a few hundred more rounds.
Old July 12, 2018, 04:27 PM   #12
doubleh

Mine is very accurate. If I had the eyes and hands I had forty years ago it would be even more accurate. A Burris Fastfire III made a big improvement in the eyesight department. Now if I could get the hands to cooperate.

I found the trigger to be less than stellar. Like their 10/22 it works but there is room for a lot of improvement. The Volquartson trigger kit takes care of that.
Old July 12, 2018, 04:55 PM   #13
Sevens

I believe that if you have never owned a Ruger pre-Mark I through Mark III then you would probably be more apt to enjoy a Mark IV.

If you do own one and you truly cannot stomach reassembly but like it otherwise... then the Majestic easy take-down kit is, IMO, a MUCH better idea than buying a Mark IV.

Quality from almost all gunmakers is on the decline. This is my firm stance. I don't ask that anyone agree, but it is well beyond obvious to me.

The Ruger design is a phenomenal one that saw it's absolute pinnacle with the Mark II.

I would pay MORE money for a clean Mark II then I would ever consider spending on a Mk III or Mk IV. And while on that subject, I would pay more money for an enema than I ever would on the S&W Victory.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:49 PM   #14
Wishoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I believe that if you have never owned a Ruger pre-Mark I through Mark III then you would probably be more apt to enjoy a Mark IV.

If you do own one and you truly cannot stomach reassembly but like it otherwise... then the Majestic easy take-down kit is, IMO, a MUCH better idea than buying a Mark IV.

Quality from almost all gunmakers is on the decline. This is my firm stance. I don't ask that anyone agree, but it is well beyond obvious to me.

The Ruger design is a phenomenal one that saw it's absolute pinnacle with the Mark II.

I would pay MORE money for a clean Mark II then I would ever consider spending on a Mk III or Mk IV. And while on that subject, I would pay more money for an enema than I ever would on the S&W Victory.
My friends MKI is truly a work of mechanical art.

If I could find a MKI or MKII around here for a reasonable price, I probably would of jumped at it. Nobody wants to part with theirs (for good reason).

The durability of my MKIV remains to be seen, but it certainly seems built to last.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:51 PM   #15
gwpercle

When you get that new MK IV be sure to read and follow the disassembly and reassembly directions and follow them exactly. A song and dance has to be preformed correctly.
I have read more than one post about people having problems and usually the problem is they aren't doing the song and dance exactly right.
I thought the MK IV was designed to eliminate the reassembly problems ...but , some folks can evidently , get it wrong .
Gary
Old July 12, 2018, 07:02 PM   #16
Wishoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
When you get that new MK IV be sure to read and follow the disassembly and reassembly directions and follow them exactly. A song and dance has to be preformed correctly.
I have read more than one post about people having problems and usually the problem is they aren't doing the song and dance exactly right.
I thought the MK IV was designed to eliminate the reassembly problems ...but , some folks can evidently , get it wrong .
Gary
I'm far from mechanically inclined. Assembly and disassembly of the MKIV is easier than taking apart a Glock IMO. I'm not sure how anyone could screw up the process.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:03 PM   #17
fourbore

That earlier post has the Mk I,II,III dis-asembly confused with the Mk IV. Mark IV is beyond easy. Unless you gut it out, then you need some basic skills or ability to watch you tube.

I got one and it had several very annoying nit pick issues. All QC related. I consider my self fairly serious shooter although I never compete. The full Volquartsen trigger upgrade is an absolute must for any serious shooter. This depends on the buyer and intended use, so that will vary on a case by case.

This forum has a lot of good info. Firing pin upgrades (due to breakage), scope mounting tips (piece of cake), sight and various parts that can need attention. The MKIV is a great pistol, but; Ruger QC has slipped a lot over the years.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=377

I also have a MkII Govt Competition and it is a much better pistol. I shot my lifetime best target with that MkII. Better than my best M41 or High Standard target. It was dumb luck, but; you need a good pistol to get lucky.
Old July 12, 2018, 10:54 PM   #18
Model12Win

Have a Target. Found it too muzzle heavy and bulky, I don't like it.

Have a Standard 4.75". It is .22 handgun nirvana.

YMMV.
Old July 12, 2018, 11:18 PM   #19
VW3

I love my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 (I like the grip angle better than the original). I’ve put about 500 round threw it and have had only 1 malfunction. And I haven’t cleaned it yet.

I am interested in putting a new front sight on mine because I also struggle picking up the all black.
Old July 13, 2018, 09:38 AM   #20
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Gary
That’s the problem, it’s the folks who don’t own one that complain. You can disassemble/reassemble a mkIV while blindfolded, it’s that simple. Anyone who has problems with it should not own a gun.

Jim
Old July 13, 2018, 10:39 AM   #21
Fishbed77

Can't speak to the Mk IV, but I've owned or shot quite a few Mk II and III pistols over the years, and they have always been accurate and reliable.

Of course, I've never found the earlier Mks to be difficult to field strip and clean, either. Ruger provided quite a good manual with these pistols.
Old July 13, 2018, 11:07 AM   #22
OhioGuy

Does the Mk IV come with a rail to mount a scope or Red Dot?
Old July 13, 2018, 04:24 PM   #23
AzShooter

My 22/45 LIte did.

Old July 13, 2018, 08:17 PM   #24
fourbore

Quote:
Does the Mk IV come with a rail to mount a scope or Red Dot?

It is drilled and tapped. Ruger offers two bases and there are many aftermarket options. I am pretty sure that due to all the various users preferences ruger does pick a base and give it away. They might be some models with a base attached, but; not as a general rule. What you can count on is that you can mount any dot or scope and retain the option of irons if you wish. It is amazing in versatility, which some might argue is better than getting one particular base. I actually like the free base that came with my Mk III. There were no end of complaints about that base. Ruger wisely decided to hold back and let the customer decide.

BTW, I like a minimal base others want the biggest tallest and most massive pittiful canary base. It is all available.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:08 PM   #25
ifithitu

I don't own a 22,I'm thinking about buying a Mark,but haven't made up my mind which one Mark,I II III or IV.
Closed Thread