The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 30, 2018, 07:01 PM   #1
JACKlangrishe

Reunited with my Revolver...

Hey Everyone!

Quick question about what I've uncovered after having my pistol stored somewhere for a while..

LONG story short.. Thanks to much guidance from the users here, some time ago I was able to purchase a Pietta '60 Army from Cabelas at a very reasonable price. Revolver was in perfect condition, but timing was off and the hammer cam was starting to get chewed up with only a few cycles. I immediately stopped functioning the gun, heeded the advice of Mike and grabbed Kuhnhausen's book, and decided this would be a long term thing. I would need to do a lot of reading, learning, and fitting, to get the timing right on my first try.

Some life changes happened, and I ended up needing to put the revolver in storage due to my living arrangement. With it completely disassembled, I carefully slathered each part in my olive oil and beeswax mix, made two very large desiccate packs out of coffee filters and silica gel, packed everything in a plastic toolbox with a bit of ventilation, and took the huge risk of putting it in an storage facility that approved, but didn't guarantee against theft.

Well now, I'm finally reunited with my revolver and have uncovered that the brass trigger guard developed an aqua green sticky coating--

and when I say aqua, I mean like Miami Dolphins aqua.. even more fluorescent than the Statue of Liberty..

I did have it on this green striped towel (looks blue in the photo).. but green developed on areas not contacting it, like the top-

So I gave it a good scrubbing with 91% iso alcohol and to my inexperienced eyes it doesnt appear to be pitted or anything, just an interesting patina development-

This rough texturing I remember from when I first unboxed the pistol, and I don't believe it's rust pitting.. please correct me if I'm wrong..

Just wanted to run these images by you guys.. I can only assume it was the beginning of rust development? No chance of damage right?

Nothing else appears affected, but now I'm about to give everything another thorough cleaning just in case.

Also, there was a strong musky cardboard smell in the box, but I think that's my aged oil/wax mix.

Thanks for any input, and so glad to be back!!!

Last edited by JACKlangrishe; April 30, 2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old April 30, 2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Jakeway

Welcome back!

I kind of like the "patina" on the polished surfaces. Don;t worry about the round on the inside...they're all like that. It's just the rough surface from the casting, and those internal parts have no need to be smooth so the factory didn't bother.
Old April 30, 2018, 08:27 PM   #3
JACKlangrishe

Thanks!!

I figured. Just wanted to double check.

I also like the patina it developed, gives it a nice aged look that I wanted from the beginning.

Now I have to read that book 5 or 6 times so I have the courage to start filing.

Last edited by JACKlangrishe; April 30, 2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old April 30, 2018, 11:36 PM   #4
Oliver Sudden

You’ve got the best book for working a Colt so read and enjoy your project. The green is verdigris and may have been caused by the olive oil. The copper in the brass is being effected, not to worry with a heavy part like that. Try using one of the good products made for storage like “Rig” to avoid this condition. At this point hot soapy water with good rinse of the brass will stop the corrosion and leave the color you like.

Last edited by Oliver Sudden; May 1, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Goatwhiskers

FWIW: only ferrous (iron based) metals "rust". Brass does not. GW
Old May 1, 2018, 09:48 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Polish the brass and protect it with RIG gun grease.