The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 7, 2018, 09:03 PM   #26
WheelGunMan

I have an SP101 DAO and the trigger was brutal. I changed out both the hammer and trigger spring. The action is now glass smooth. I can readily stage it and finish the shot with minimal effort. Have over 2000 rounds since the change and no misfires. Highly recommend it.
Old July 8, 2018, 10:14 AM   #27
Real Gun

I have the 4" SP101 in 327 Federal. I bought a spring kit and found that the 12 pound, relatively stiff but lighter than stock, was the lowest that would still allow reliable primer ignition. The action overall is not something of your dreams but can be very smooth with wear or an action job. I find my Rugers simply require more skill in trigger pull, staying on target, than some that fire just thinking about pulling the trigger and too soft to have a stage and a break.
Old July 8, 2018, 04:20 PM   #28
LE-28

I bought one of the first ones that came out and after shooting it I had a trigger job and springs replaced.

It is silky smooth now and I find myself shooting it in double action now and don't use the single action at all.

I shoot my.327 3 1/8 at 25yd with no problems. I love that thing other than the noice.
Old July 8, 2018, 04:53 PM   #29
JERRYS.

unless the gun is for target shooting or hunting, I've found that reputable brands stock triggers are plenty fine for self defensive work at reasonable ranges.
Old July 9, 2018, 01:10 AM   #30
Sequins

My SP101 had one of the worst triggers I've ever experienced out of the box. In fact, it was so bad that during extended dry fire the hammer would lock in the cocked position- I have no proof of this besides my observation, but I would pull the trigger and the hammer would go backwards and stick there!

After repetition and observation to identify what part of the trigger mechanism was locking it, I determined it to be a friction lock (if I tapped the hammer when it was "locked" back it would deploy and strike). I simply lubed my gun and dry fired it several thousand times, in addition to the one thousand rounds of factory Prvi Partisan ammunition I fired. Needless to say the gun is now quite smooth.

In future I might try smoothing things with a stone or some 3M abrasive pad, but CLP and dry fire worked for me in this case. I am very hesitant to try to gunsmith my own guns using abrasive pads and I would caution anyone who is not a mechanical expert against doing so.