The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 16, 2018, 10:16 PM   #26
Model12Win

I'll bet you a donut I never once mentioned a half-cock on any Ruger that I bought or am planning to buy, since I know they don't have one and haven't since the 1970s.
Old June 16, 2018, 10:27 PM   #27
tallball

"The way I eject my empties is I push on the ejector rod and let it ride the front of the cylinder with the gun pointed up. Then when a charge hole comes up the rod drops in the hole and the empty is ejected."

Basically, yeah. My first handgun was a 22 single six. I got it as a teenager. If you push the ejector rod in VERY VERY lightly as you turn the cylinder, it will start to enter the chamber just as it lines up and you can easily eject all of your empties without having to re-rotate. It isn't difficult.

I have a couple of Single Sixes, a couple of New Model Blackhawks, and an Old Model (three-screw) Super Blackhawk. The cylinder of the three-screw spins freely when it's at half-cock, but I don't find it any easier to load or unload as a result. With enough practice it's a simple procedure.

Last edited by tallball; June 19, 2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old June 17, 2018, 08:37 AM   #28
shurshot

That's how they work... PITA, sometimes, yes. But they are NOT designed for fast reloads anyhow. I like Rugers SA's as they are.
Old June 17, 2018, 12:30 PM   #29
ratshooter

Driftwood your excellent write up on the half cock replacement trigger had me ready to buy one. Until I clicked on the link and saw the price. You know what? I think my Super Blackhawk works just fine the Ruger designed it.
Old June 17, 2018, 12:32 PM   #30
briandg

Quote:
That's how they work... PITA, sometimes, yes. But they are NOT designed for fast reloads anyhow. I like Rugers SA's as they are.
You never know when you will be reading a history book and be bitten by a radioactive book work and struck by lightning, and transported to the ok corral, with nothing but your trusty ruger hogleg strapped to your side, and oh, looky, you had it full of snap caps for a dry fire session.

When the zombie apocalypse comes, you had better grab your glock in the nylon holster and belt with five extra magazines, instead of the blackhawk with thirty rounds in the loops of the belt and none in the cylinder.

Bill Ruger obviously didn't spend very much time thinking about inadvertent time travel or zombie attack. I can't say that I blame him.
Old June 17, 2018, 05:01 PM   #31
DPris

I've owned & worked with Ruger single-actions for 42 years.
The standard Ruger Blackhawk's action isn't as handy as a Colt, but I've got a convertible .45 Colt/ACP Blackhawk that went through Hamilton Bowen's hands & it won't leave mine till I die.

I also own two Flattops, one in .44 Special & one Anniversary .44 Mag.
Both of those use the smaller-frame & indexing plunger system.
On both, since I don't trust that plunger, I removed it to create a free-spin cylinder.

I do like the free-spin set-up, but I could, can, and will continue to not turn up my nose at the standard Blackhawk action.

Quick reloads in those guns are not an issue.
The free-spin is handier, but not for speedloading.
Denis
Old June 17, 2018, 05:44 PM   #32
rclark

Quote:
I also own two Flattops, one in .44 Special & one Anniversary .44 Mag. Both of those use the smaller-frame & indexing plunger system.
Yes, they both have the plunger system, but the Anniversary .44 Mag is on the LARGE frame.

I personally like the plunger set-up. Makes indexing easier and I've never had an issue with it on any of my flattops and New Vaqueros. At least for me. I tried free-spin my .45 Colt original Vaquero, but really didn't care for it, so went back to standard pawl.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.
Old June 17, 2018, 06:18 PM   #33
DPris

Well, the dimensions are slightly different, but the .44 Ann I don't THINK is the same size as the .45 Colt.
Denis
Old June 17, 2018, 10:36 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to the new model Ruger Blackhawk action. Sorry the model you got wasn't the one you thought it was. Blame the jury that decided Ruger was responsible for one guy's incompetence.

I've only been using the new model Blackhawk for 35 years, and I had an advantage going in, I wasn't brainwashed (er, pardon me, experienced) enough to know how a "proper" single action was supposed to work.

While the original Ruger SA worked just like Colts, the New Models do not.

there are some tricks one learns to overcome the new model's "failings", or you can just pay attention to what you are doing, and don't expect it to be something other than what it is.

Don't count cylinder clicks. With the stock New Model Blackhawk, when you hear the click you are past where you want to be, and there's NO going back, only going around again. Not a huge problem, and seldom happens when you are looking right at it. But when you aren't you almost always go too far, once or twice loading the cylinder. It happens.

For me, there is a trick which works in .44/.45 guns when I'm not looking right at the cylinder (and would also work in the dark). Its awkward but it does work. Left Index finger over the chamber at 9o'clock, rotate cylinder until that finger hits the frame. The chamber at 3 o'clock will be in the right spot to load. I don't usually do this, I just watch things as they line up, but that technique does work, for me, anyway.
Old June 18, 2018, 12:35 AM   #35
rclark

In a nutshell...

Quote:
Well, the dimensions are slightly different, but the .44 Ann I don't THINK is the same size as the .45 Colt.
The standard .45 Colt BH is the same size. The .45 Colt 'flattop' is not as it is on the medium frame.

First, all '.44 Mag' revolvers are on the large frame from '56 to present. Some are flattops and some have the 'ears', but all are on the large frame -- Old Model and New Model. Note, Ruger did try to put the .44 Mag on the medium frame at first, but proof loads showed a slight problem -- the cylinders blew. Hence the large frame.

Keeping that in mind, all New Model Blackhawks ('72 to present) and Super Blackhawks are on the same large cylinder frame. This includes the .357, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt ... fluted/unfluted cylinders, the Bisley, the Hunter, and original Vaqueros. Exception is the .357 Maximum Blackhawk which has an 'extended' large frame and cylinder.

The Old Model .357 was on the medium frame. Many of these were turned into .44 Special revolvers by gunsmiths. Along came the flattop New Model Anniversary .357 in 2005 on the medium frame. Could it happen? Yep it did! Lipsey made a special run of .44 Special flattops (finally!), and then the .45 Colt/.45 ACP (Yes, a must have!) which the OP is wanting. Finally Lipsey did a special run of .357/9mm as well on the medium frame (alright!) in the 5 1/2" barrel length. Also, the New Vaqueros are on the same medium frame -- just have fixed sights.

Anyway, just a brief incomplete history of Ruger SA revolvers...

Note I talk about the 'cylinder frame' above. There are a several different 'grip frames' that match up to the large and medium frames. Hammers, triggers, ejector housings etc.... Another subject to make it more confusing!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.

Last edited by rclark; June 18, 2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old June 18, 2018, 01:54 AM   #36
DPris

Just hauled all three out to check.
The Lipsey's .44 Special Flattop's on the smaller frame.
The .44 Mag Ann does turn out to be the same size as my .45 Colt/ACP Convertible Blackhawk.

Been so long since I'd had the Mag & Colt in hand together I'd forgotten.
Front upper forward frame bevels are different, which at first glance makes 'em look slightly different in length, but side by side they are the same.
Denis
Old June 18, 2018, 02:45 PM   #37
DaleA

A very interesting and informative thread.

I am constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site and the willingness of folk to share their expertise with pictures, descriptions, anecdotes etc. (I won't mention names, you know who you are.)

It might be analogous to having Albert Einstein drop what he's doing to come over and help with your algebra homework.

Thanks to all the contributors.
Old June 18, 2018, 06:33 PM   #38
Model12Win

Well here is the gun with some faux stag grips:

I don't know... starting to grow on me some...
Old June 18, 2018, 06:51 PM   #39
ratshooter

Now go shoot it. I bet it grows on you even more.

If I bought a Ruger 45 long/45 acp you have the exact model I would have bought. I for one like the lighter weight of the allow frame. Some polish the grip frame silver and that looks neat. But I wouldn't do that unless the finish is worn.
Old June 18, 2018, 11:35 PM   #40
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I'll bet you a donut I never once mentioned a half-cock on any Ruger that I bought or am planning to buy, since I know they don't have one and haven't since the 1970s.
Sorry if I mistakenly assumed you thought there would be a half cock hammer on the smaller framed Blackhawk.
Old June 18, 2018, 11:44 PM   #41
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood Johnson View Post
Sorry if I mistakenly assumed you thought there would be a half cock hammer on the smaller framed Blackhawk.
It's okay! I love you and appreciate everything you've taught me about revolvers over the years. You post some mighty fine pictures, but the real impressiveness is in your text and knowledge on the subject of these classic guns!!
Old June 19, 2018, 04:33 PM   #42
DaleA

Well if you decide to keep your New Model Blackhawk and want to get into the ‘innards’ of the thing you might be interested in these two videos from Ruger:

Tech Tip-Single-Action Disassembly (about three and a half minutes long)
https://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271942&cat=3769277

Tech Tip-Single-Action Reassembly (about three minutes long)
https://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271984&cat=3769277

In the videos the tech goes through step by step showing you how to disassemble and then reassemble the Ruger Single-Action revolvers.

Please note the Ruger tech takes a little under four minutes to disassemble the gun but he does it very slowly emphasizing safety and describing the tools he will be using. He takes about three minutes to put it back together but again he is doing it slowly step by step. I found I could do the disassembly in a smidge under three hours and got it back together in a shade over four hours. I did stop for lunch partway through the reassembly but I didn’t count my lunch break in the total time. Doing it again I’m pretty sure I could shave a few minutes off both disassembly and reassembly times. What I’m saying is it's doable and the bar is set pretty low. (Details of my personal tribulations will only be provided to those I consider to be beyond being shocked and appalled...no one on this site I think has a strong enough stomach.)

Good luck.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:50 PM   #43
Model12Win

Gun is for sale in the classifieds, guys.
Old June 20, 2018, 01:36 AM   #44
DPris

I think you're making a mistake.
Denis
Old June 20, 2018, 05:16 AM   #45
buck460XVR

Over the years, I've bought guns that did not live up to my expectations. Could be they were at fault, may have been I was misinformed or just had too high of hopes. Better they went down the road to someone else that enjoyed them and actually used them, as opposed to them sitting unhappily in the safe. In a coupla cases, I know the folks that ended up with them, and they are very happy/satisfied with them, even tho I didn't want them around anymore. Don't make either of us right or wrong, just that we have different tastes. I see the same scenario here. Owner isn't happy, wants something else and is going to make it happen. Why is that a mistake?
Old June 20, 2018, 12:50 PM   #46
ratshooter

This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpnk5OuzUE
Old June 20, 2018, 01:31 PM   #47
Model12Win

I'll be sorry by getting the gun I had in mind originally?

Not to insult any standard Blackhawk owners here, but I'm just not digging it. Have been doing reload drills the past few days and just when I think I'm getting the hang of it, I'll go too far and have to spin the cylinder all the way around again, or I'll hit the cylinder face with the ejector rod etc.

The flattop is the only way forward at this point. It's what I originally wanted. I now know the truth.
Old June 20, 2018, 01:53 PM   #48
BBarn

I shoot both. I prefer the newer middle size frame (New Vaquero and 357/44S/45C Flattops) over the standard (larger) Blackhawk. So for someone who doesn't want a 44 Mag., I understand the preference for the mid frame with the cylinder locating plunger. The cylinder alignment (during loading/unloading) on the 5 shot Supers is nice as well.
Old June 20, 2018, 03:24 PM   #49
ratshooter

Quote:
The flattop is the only way forward at this point. It's what I originally wanted. I now know the truth.
If thats what you want then get it. I understand. For many years my "Grail" gun was a S&W model 631. I would find them but they were selling for $900+ and I just couldn't justify spending that much. I finally found one for sale on the S&W forum for $725. I sent the seller a PM and it was mine. And I never regretted getting just what I wanted either.

I looked on GB and the cheapest was $678 and all that were available were stainless steel. Nice looking guns.
Old June 20, 2018, 04:16 PM   #50
UncleEd

Earlier in this thread I said apparently some
people are slow learners.

Another perspective comes from nine active
years in SASS (Cowboy Action Shooting) and
regularly manning the loading or unloading
table during the shoots.

I can't really recall any of the scores and scores
of shooters I monitored having trouble with their
Blackhawks or Vaqueros in their loading or
unloading. If a skipped cylinder chamber
did occur it was so seldom as not to be remembered.
These shooters applied themselves and the Ruger guns
proved to be excellent for the SASS sport.

The OP has a fine revolver and putting it up for sale
is someone else's gain and his loss. I say this
because I fear he won't be much happier with
a model with a cylinder ball detente.

Uberti might be the answer.