The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 19, 1999, 07:01 PM   #1
.357SIG

I'm not really a hunter, so if this is a dumb question, please don't flame me. What kinds of rifles can not be used for hunting, if any? (AR's in particular)
Old September 19, 1999, 07:06 PM   #2
Mikey

.357SIG,

Each State has it's own specific requirements regarding legal arms and ammunition for hunting various types of game. You should begin by obtaining a copy of your State's hunting requirements, usually a pamphlet or booklet available at licensing agents.

Mikey
Old September 19, 1999, 09:16 PM   #3
david_m_curry

Mikey speaks no lie... states differ so widely on what constitutes a legal firearm for the hunting of big game that there are almost no general rules that can be inferred. If you are in Texas, you can use anything that isn't full-auto or .22 rimfire. Hence, in Texas, an AR-15 in .223 is perfectly legal. However, in Oklahoma, big game cartridges must be at least 24 caliber, so .223 is out. You should check out the "Handgun hunting laws" thread in this forum just to see how much laws can vary.

Cheers,
David Curry
Old September 20, 1999, 04:48 AM   #4
The Mohican Sneak

I can't add to what the other gentlemen have said other than echo it. Each state has it's own regulations. Check with the local DNR office or sporting good store for a regulation pamphlet.

In Georgia, the law states "any rifle .22 CENTERfire or larger may be used"

Handguns it's "any producing at least 500ft lbs of energy at 100 yards"...

------------------
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~~Etienne de Grellet
Old September 20, 1999, 07:45 AM   #5
Long Path

.357Sig--

One point here to join the above points, which are well-made. Your question wasn't dumb; it was legitimate. It is my experience in this communinity that anyone who flames a legitimate gun-related question on this board will receive far, FAR more trouble from his/her peers than he/she could dish out. DON'T be afraid to ask straight-forward questions!

BTW, if your question regards feasibility as well as legality of minimum cartridge, you might peruse the topics "Minimum cartridge for mule deer?" and ".223 for deer?" about 100 days back, in this forum. In summary, the consensus was that, while one could kill deer with a .223, technically, .243 was far better, and the .25s and 6 mm's are even better.

Regards,

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 20, 1999).]