The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 28, 2018, 07:37 PM   #1
mr bolo

how come new M1A / M14 never come with GI Chrome lined Bores?

all the old Springfield Armory M1A's had GI parts with chrome lined bores

why are all the current M1A / M14 clones not made with the original way with the chrome lined bore?

James River Arms / BULA DEFENSE , they brag about having forged receivers but they cant make a GI spec barrel?

must be too expensive to make them like that?

SA uses a cast receiver
Old June 28, 2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Model12Win

Because it's extra cost and of no use to the average civilian, especially since corrosive primed .308 is rare these days. These are not G.I. guns, they're commercial guns. Get over it.
Old June 29, 2018, 08:24 AM   #3
PawnWolf

I have heard from time to time that a chrome lined bore extends barrel life at the expense of accuracy. I have never had personal experience with this (As I have never tested that side by side). Maybe they are getting away from chrome lined bores to sell a rifle with marginally better accuracy for the civilian market. Maybe some guys with a lot more experience than me can chime in when it comes to chrome lining and loss of accuracy (if it is a myth or not.)
Old June 29, 2018, 12:23 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...all the old Springfield Armory M1A's had..." Not for a very long time have milsurp parts, that are not currently readily available nor particularly high quality, used by SA Inc. SA Inc. is busy making far better barrels than any chrome lined barrel ever was too.
Chrome was used because the over 100% humidity in SEA(where conscripts couldn't be relied upon to look after their issued rifle) caused accelerated rusting. Not because it made a better barrel or corrosive primers.
"...corrosive primed .308..." Never used by the U.S. military in 7.62NATO. None in commercial hunting ammo either. Corrosive primers were done away with by the U.S. military in the mid 50's. The .30 M2 ammo used during W.W. II had 'em though. No big deal.
Old June 29, 2018, 02:57 PM   #5
RC20

Quote:
Chrome was used because the over 100% humidity in SEA(where conscripts couldn't be relied upon to look after their issued rifle)
That shows an amazing degree of ignorance on the M16 issue in SEA.

Said M16 was thrown into servcie as a wonder gun that needed no cleaning.

This is followed by two directly related aspects.

1. They did not issue cleaning equipment
2. They changed the powder which caused sever fouling.

This then resulted in conscripts who knew no better and even if they did had limited to no access to cleaning devices and supplies (patches, cleaning agent as well as oil)

American soldiers died as a result of the most ill conceived and criminal introduction of a brad new untested rifle into the ranks of the US Army.
Old June 29, 2018, 10:55 PM   #6
mr bolo

I like it for the added durability and all weather protection

plus they are easier to clean