The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 1999, 02:34 AM   #1
Lucas

I know there are good and bad ones--I just don't know which are which. All advise is appreciated.

------------------
RKBA!
Old September 10, 1999, 11:55 AM   #2
Paul B.

I have two from Browning. They make my computer lock up when I get out of them. Have to do a hard reboot. Cabela's Hunting Big Game II is fair. 3D Grizzly has it's good points. Deer Hunter II is pretty good, although some of the areas have damn few deer. Brownings Elk Hunter and African Safari are not too bad, but as I said before they cause my computer to lock up when I sign off.
To be perfectly frank, they all have good points, and bad points. I'll pick on just one. Grizzly Hunter. You have various weapon choices, naturally all browning products. Now the obvious choice for griz would be the .375 H&H rifle right? Nope. Use the 30-338 lever action. For backup you have a 1911A1 .45 ACP. BTW. That is the only choice for handgun hunting. it was the only weapon I used to win against the maneater. None of the rifles worked. Gives you the wrong impression of what works and what doesn't. JMHO.
Paul B.
Old September 11, 1999, 10:18 AM   #3
Spencer Stewart

Local Bowhunting/Outdoor shop has a pretty neat set up.

They have two indoor archery ranges. One is typical with paper targets. The other is a game. Unfortunatley I don't know the name of it.

A data projector connected to a PC projects live footage of deer onto a wall size kevlar screen. There are two laser grids, one directly in front of the shooter and one in front of the screen. They measure speed of arrow and indicate how effective the shot was. The competitor is given a number of scenarios and is judged by how well they did. The PC stores all the info on the different players. Pretty cool.

Oh, special blunt tip arrows are supplied.

Spencer
Old September 13, 1999, 05:35 PM   #4
Big Bunny

BassPro have two listed, but they are only hand-held playthings, but may be a good start for a young person before Nintendo 64 takes over !

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 15, 1999, 06:37 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

This area of software development is very lacking. It can not relay the feeling of being out on a good hunt. Not even a bad hunt.

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 15, 1999, 09:12 AM   #6
Long Path

I was at a friend's house last month, and her new husband (whom I am desperately trying to reserve judgement on...) wanted me to try out his new hunting program with him. (I forget the name.) You could hunt Colorado, Sasquatchawan, the Olympic Pennensula, and you would scan around, and your guide (a woman, interestingly enough) would tell you: "There! To the North!" And you would swing around to see if you caught sight of the game. If you did, it taught some extremely bad techniques. I would see the game, and hold my cursor just beyond the next bush it was about to pass through, to click on it as it passed out. No go. The game would cause a full-grown moose to disappear after having passed behind a cedar. It only rewarded snapshots, and this man who had never been hunting before was kind of frustrated at my ineptitude at this realisitc hunting program. I was too cautious for him.

When I took a quick trip to the can and returned, he was just in the act of "shooting" a huge Boone and Crockett white tail for me. (It goes from computer-generated animation to live-action digitized photography when you click on the game, so that you can "take your shot"). The deer dropped, and he grinned like an idiot. "See?? You got the record deer so far!" It was, of course, logged on under my name, so he was effectively "filling my tag." His pride was kind of disturbing, like the guy who just got a great deal at the electronics store on a product. I've seen this once before in actual hunting, and I want no part of it, even simulated.

I said, "Hey-- didn't I see that you have that CD of old classic video games? Let's play Dig-Dug or Defender...!"

It's not the same.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 15, 1999).]