The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2017, 01:46 AM   #1
snowman748

Bulgarian Makarov question.

Ok, I recently purchased a Bulgarian Makarov from SOG International (or really had my local FFL order it for me). When it comes in I'm expecting to have to clean the cosmoline out of it, my worry is in the cleaning process I might harm the finish or the gun might have excessive holster wear. OR maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get it Cerakoted. Idk yet
Old February 22, 2017, 02:03 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

If you use normal guncleaning solvents there's no way you're going to damage the finish unless you accomplish the cleaning process with the use of a wire brush or sandpaper or something else equally ridiculous.

Cosmoline isn't anything scary. It's just a thick, waxy grease. You can remove it with paper towels and patience if you want to make the experience last, but a little solvent will make things go a lot faster. I've used Ballistol for cleaning cosmoline in the past, but you could use something like BreakFree CLP or a Nitro Solvent just as effectively. I suppose something like Goo Gone would work too.
Old February 22, 2017, 08:56 AM   #3
sarge83

One trick I have used is a clothes steamer with distilled water over an old bucket. The cosmoline just rolled right off. I then wipe it down and dry it and apply a coat of light oil.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:05 PM   #4
doofus47

Hoppes 9 and some elbow grease would work. The bakelite side plates won't be affected. You'll love it.

When I wanted to removed cosmo from large rifle pieces such as magazines, I boiled it off using a pot that was dedicated to the purpose and paper towels.

happy shooting
Old February 22, 2017, 12:28 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge83
One trick I have used is a clothes steamer with distilled water over an old bucket.
snowman748, I'm not sure you're aware of this, but cosmo melts at a temperature well below that of boiling water. It's basically like wax.

The vintage military method of removing cosmo is to disassemble the firearm, remove all wood parts, and dip the parts in boiling water. I've done this in the past and the cosmo literally floats off. Larger parts can be suspended from a wire to allow them to be shaken and turned to get the cosmo out of the crevices. Smaller parts can be simply dropped into the water, and retrived by pouring the water through a cheap strainer from Walmart - DON'T use the one you use for making spaghetti. In my experience, the residual heat from boiling is adequate for drying the small parts, whereas larger parts should be dried with compressed air before they start to rust.

Sarge's suggestion is a variation on this method. Either way, it WILL remove 99% of the cosmo, you just have to painstakingly re-oil everything afterwards.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:44 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Cosmoline is thick petroleum jelly, just like Vaseline. Comes off with no fuss at all with a soaking (about 24 hours) in mineral spirits. Grips off and field stripped.
Mind you, the Warsaw Pact didn't use Cosmoline. That being a brand name. It's just plain old grease as I recall. Still comes off with mineral spirits.
"...Goo Gone would work too..." Yep. Really expensive stuff though.
Old February 22, 2017, 01:46 PM   #7
jdscholer

I've never seen a Mak come all cosmo'd up. But however it comes, I'd field strip it, and soak all parts in mineral spirits for awhile, and then with a tooth brush, bore brush, and maybe a small paint brush, clean it thoroughly, and blow with air. Make sure the firing pin rattles.

Then spray with Rem-oil or your favorite, and reassemble. Most Bulgys have a nice blued finish that would be a shame to cerocoate. jd
Old February 22, 2017, 05:16 PM   #8
snowman748

I've removed Cosmoline before off of a Mosin Nagant and an old Yugo M48. I used dish soap and hot water on the Mosin and used boiling water and elbow grease on the Yugo. Just never cleaned a pistol. Both the Mosin and Yugo had worn finishes and this Mak is supposed to have a great finish so I wasn't sure how cleaning it might effect it.
Old February 23, 2017, 07:13 AM   #9
Ibmikey

I bought three of the Bulgarian Maks when they were first offered as " unissued" and brand new they were. All three were coated in stinky low grade grease and required a bath in mineral spirits that removed grease and most of the smell. An air hose helps a lot in cleaning a soaked pistol.
Old February 23, 2017, 07:29 AM   #10
Rich_357

Mineral spirits and a soft brush; rinse afterwards. Be sure to strip it down and clean the guts...including the firing pin and firing pin channel. Bulgy Maks are great little guns.
Old February 23, 2017, 09:46 AM   #11
snowman748

This may be a stupid question but when y'all say "mineral spirits" would laquer thunder work or is it to harsh? I have access to a lot of it at work which is why I ask.
Old February 23, 2017, 11:52 AM   #12
DMK

Quote:
This may be a stupid question but when y'all say "mineral spirits" would laquer thunder work or is it to harsh? I have access to a lot of it at work which is why I ask.
Laquer thinner is too harsh. Use mineral spirits.

I've had good luck using Hoppe's #9 solvent when it was all I had.

For a handgun dropping it in a pot of boiling water(*) then simmering on low will do nicely. The cosmo will float to the top. Let it cool, then scoop it off before removing the gun.

(*) Buy a cheap pot at Walmart or your wife will likly shoot you with your clean new handgun
Old February 24, 2017, 02:59 PM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK
Buy a cheap pot at Walmart or your wife will likly shoot you with your clean new handgun
An even cheaper way is to pour the boiling water into one of those disposable aluminum-foil cake or casserole pans. If you're only cleaning one small firearm, the water doesn't need to stay hot for very long.
Old February 25, 2017, 11:11 AM   #14
P5 Guy

Kerosene soak and a few wipes and you are going to be good to go. Take the grip panels off first.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:41 PM   #15
snowman748

Thanks for the info guys!