The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 29, 2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Jdougg92

Mounting handgun in car

I'm looking for someone who has a nice mount system in there 05-09 Mustang. The steering wheel mount didn't work well and I can't draw from the side of the seat and console. Any pictures of any well functioning mounts will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 30, 2015, 01:22 AM   #2
BigMikey76

I have a Blackhawk Sportster nylon holster Velcro mounted to the inside of my center console. I got the idea from the video linked below, and I modified the idea to go inside the console, mounted on the left interior side for an easy draw. I don't know if it will work for you - depends on the size of the gun and the size of the console, but I have found it to be very satisfactory. I'll try to get some pics to put up for a visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kU2__kg1XY
Old June 1, 2015, 03:36 AM   #3
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I have a Blackhawk Sportster nylon holster Velcro mounted to the inside of my center console
I like that idea. My only issue would be possible melting of the adhesive strips on the Velcro in the summer, or the Velcro coming loose over time(but that's easily fixed with another strip. It's cheap stuff). I might try this out.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old June 16, 2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Mannlicher

I have given up on a vehicle mount, that allows a reasonably quick access, yet conceals the handgun. My solution had been to wear a pistol in a cross draw holster on my belt, when driving.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 17, 2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Skans

Never understood the need to "mount" a pistol/holster in a vehicle. I just keep mine in the glove box or center console. I can access it just as quick as I could from some holster and a lot quicker than I can from my pocket. Not that I would ever need to do this while actually driving a moving vehicle.
Old June 17, 2015, 02:17 PM   #6
DA/SA Fan

The best way to carry in your vehicle is a shoulder rig. Someone tries to jack your car its right in their face. For a dedicated mount I would look for a kydex that could be mounted out of plain sight but near your seat belt release. In my car I can just tuck a gun and holster between the seat and the console. A permanent mount in that kind of position would be worth going for IMHO.
Old June 17, 2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Doyle

Years ago, there was a commonly available bracket that mounted under your seat and stuck up between your legs - similar to the way some car seat adjustment levers are there just between your legs. You mounted an ordinary holster there and the firearm's grip rode just below the level of your seat. Of course, that was in the days before consoles were common and when a typical handgun was "full sized".
Old June 17, 2015, 03:17 PM   #8
BigMikey76

Quote:
Never understood the need to "mount" a pistol/holster in a vehicle. I just keep mine in the glove box or center console. I can access it just as quick as I could from some holster and a lot quicker than I can from my pocket. Not that I would ever need to do this while actually driving a moving vehicle.
I do it because that way I know the gun is in the proper position for drawing it, if necessary, rather than possibly sliding around in a glove box, which might make it so the muzzle works its way into an unsafe direction. Also, it keeps the trigger covered for safety. And, because my center console locks, it meets the requirements for storing it when I have to go into a "gun free" location.
Old June 17, 2015, 04:07 PM   #9
pax

Excellent article on this subject here: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....stols-in-cars/

pax
Old June 17, 2015, 04:22 PM   #10
BigMikey76

Thanks, Pax. That was an interesting read. I think it makes some assumptions that aren't always true, though. For example:

Quote:
These foolish methods people use to secure pistols almost always result from having a pistol that’s too big to carry on them or with them consistently. It’s a downside of the ‘carry enough gun’ doctrine espoused by the training community.
In my case, at least, it is the result of being a large man with a relatively small car. I can't access my IWB holster when I am wedged into the driver's seat, making it nearly pointless to even have the gun on me. I don't want to have to wear 2 holsters for different positional needs, so I have a holster mounted in my console. It has nothing to do with the size of the gun.

That being said, I do have some concern about someone stealing my car and ending up with a bonus gun at the same time, but that would happen with any method of car storage,which is necessary if I want to go into the Post Office or any other posted gun free area.

Sometimes it is just necessary to leave it in the car, unless I just leave it at home because I know my errands for the day will take me some place that my gun can't go, which does not sit well with me. Because of that, I have set up a reasonable way to store it safely.

Tags
car , carrying , conceal , mounting , mustang