The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 1, 2014, 06:28 PM   #1
oldknotty

Colt Cobra .38 special

I have a snub nosed Colt Cobra .38 special , the other day when i was shooting at the range the barrel came loose on it ????? I cannot get it to tighten up with the sight in line ?? What is going wrong here , how do i fix it ??
Thanks guys
Old September 1, 2014, 08:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Have you had that gun since new or is it a recent purchase? What happened is not unknown, but usually happens when someone has replaced the barrel or has unscrewed it for some reason. I don't feel that tightening up that barrel is a DIY job since you need the proper receiver blocks and barrel wrench to avoid warping the frame. I suggest giving Colt a call and see if they will do the work; a local gunsmith might or might not have the tools, but Colt would be better.

Jim
Old September 1, 2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have one here to check, but I don't think they pinned those barrels after tightening. Anyhow, they torque down pretty heavy, and I'm wondering why it did this? Could something happened to stretch the thread?
Old September 1, 2014, 09:21 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, the Colts were never pinned, they were just torqued down. But Colt did adjust "windage" on those guns by turning the barrel (and thus moving the front sight) so it was not unknown for a barrel to unscrew.

There are several ways to correct the problem, but none I feel is a DIY project. You can roll the barrel shoulder, you can cut the shoulder back and cut the barrel off a thread (OK on a Colt, not on an S&W), or shim the barrel. In any case, frame blocks and a barrel vise are a necessity, and not all general gunsmiths have those.

Jim
Old September 1, 2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

James, yes I agree on the tooling, but if the barrel was tight beforehand, I can't see it loosening, unless it, maybe, had a lot of rounds through it, and it gradually did it over time from thread stretching. I could see using hot rounds, though, and it happening a lot quicker. However, I wonder what might have happened to the thread, and even with re-tightening, I wonder if it might cause it to prematurely do it again? I'm just wondering what would knock something that tight loose, or what the cause is.
Old September 1, 2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Look for a crack in the frame where the barrel screws in.
Old September 1, 2014, 11:13 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

This is not a do-it-yourself job. I'd send it to Colt or take it to a competent gunsmith.
Old September 2, 2014, 02:40 AM   #8
Scorch

Since Colt Cobras have aluminum frames, I would take a serious look at the threads to make sure the frame has not cracked.
Old September 2, 2014, 02:06 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I mentioned the conventional ways of dealing with that problem, but I wonder if a thread blocker (LocTite) might not work. I don't think the torque is that great.

Assuming that there are no other problems, like a cracked frame, I think I might just try Blue LocTite if it were my gun.

Jim