The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 18, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Kimio

Ammunition storage options/questions

Not entirely sure if this should go here or elsewhere.

I'm looking for a solid/sturdy means to store my ammunition, I cannot afford a large safe due to space restrictions (I'll be living in a 1B apartment).

That said, I was considering getting one of those large trunks that you see at Walmart to store my ammo, however, such things are easily carried away or broken into.

A safe is not really an option (a large one at least) and this would have to fit in a closet (non-walk in type).

Does anyone have some suggestions in regards to what may be available to secure my ammo? I'm looking to spend anywhere from $60-150, though I'm willing to go a little higher if it means I'll be able to secure my ammunition from possible theft.
Old December 18, 2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Gunnels

I have been looking at fire proof filing cabinets on craigslist. They appear to be very sturdy and you can get a two drawer unit real cheap used.
Old December 18, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Devdev08

Do you by chance have a SAMs or Costco membership or know someone who does they have some small safes that are fireproof and everything not sure on the price though and if you do get a tub from Walmart depending on how much ammo you have it won't just walk away I have over 1000 rounds of 22 in a little field box must be at least 20 pounds can't imagine bigger bullets
Old December 19, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Inspector3711

You can order a locker online at Walmart made by StackOn. They have several sizes. You do the assembly.
Old December 20, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Unless you live in a high crime area and expected your house to get broken into, I don't see a problem. Put on shelf.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:07 PM   #6
gsg9.ca

I got lucky and scored 5 old high school lockers for $10 a piece. 2 Master hasp's high and low and the lock in the center make for pretty good security. All 3 padlocks keyed alike for convenience.

Cheap and easy, and simple to work with. You can add shelving easy enough with internal adjustable brackets or just drill though and though for wood shelves.

Old file cab's are cheap to. Just drop a steel bar down the front for extra security and you're good to go.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:19 PM   #7
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
I got lucky and scored 5 old high school lockers for $10 a piece.
This is a good idea, I've looked around for them and the wire cages once in the past but never found a deal on them, you got a great deal on those lockers.

This is another pretty good way of storing ammo. Extra large 20mm steel military ammo cans available at Army/Navy surplus stores for under $20.00. They have rubber seals around the lid and lock down tight, you can stack whole boxes of ammo in the can. The only problem with these larger cans is that when they're full, you need a dolly or something to move them because they're so darn heavy.

Last edited by ZEBRARANGER; December 22, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old December 23, 2013, 03:42 PM   #8
mattlago

Plus 1 on the lockers. I found some on a surplus auction. Lock my ammo in a couple and tools and such in the others. They are great in the garage etc.

Craigslist often has them, but I found mine at publicsurplus.com
Old December 23, 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
mattlago

Another thought, a friend of mine bought a used truck box, and put a couple lag screws into studs from the outside. Heave duty construction and lockable.
Old December 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #10
HoosierDave1967

Ammo Storage

Please excuse my novel, but I find your question brings up a very important subject regarding firearms and ammunition storage.

While I completely understand your dilemma, my input is this:

Unless you actually purchase a vault/safe, theft will be an issue and ANY container you obtain will NOT be secure.

I am by no means a professional safe expert, but I did spend 6 months doing research prior to investing thousands of dollars into a safe, so I can write this response with conviction.

You mentioned a concern for the safe keeping of ammunition, and I would naturally assume this includes firearms: AND potential theft of these items? If so, can I believe you are genuinely seeking a container which is actually secure?

'Safes' like StackOn and GunVault are actually not even RSC (Residential Service Containers). In my opinion, they are sugar coated filing cabinets and are junk. Save your money and buy surplus ammo cans if you decide to go this route. You will be happier due to the ease of access and portability of surplus ammo cans. Plus if you have varying ammo calibers, you can buy ammo cans specific to each caliber and thus eliminate guessing..... and keep a spare for toting ammo to and from the range. Just a personal tidbit.

Anything which uses 11 gauge steel or higher is really not secure. If it says RSC or does not even list an internationally approved level of security, then you are buying a fancy tin can. Also, if your 'safe' has no listed U.L. rating, then the contents are uninsurable. You can spend several hundred dollars on a 15 cu foot StackOn container and a criminal could crack into it within 30 seconds with a $2 screwdriver.

(Granted, you can get a 19 cu foot Liberty Safe, which is RSC rated and is a decent starter safe, new for $1,000 or used for about $500, which is a nice 450 lb. safe, but anything you put in there is uninsurable. And unless you bolt down this safe, several burglars could walk out of your apartment with it in under 5 minutes and crack it elsewhere.)

For at least a quality, secure, 15 cu foot safe, which can store about 20,000 rounds of boxed .45 ACP ammo or varying combinations thereof, you will need to spend at least $3,000 for a TL-15, and more for higher rated U.L. safe types. Naturally, if you only need 5-7 cubic feet, the cost will be much less. Yes, this is expensive, but if you own quality firearms and store any reasonable amount of ammunition and especially if you have children or nosey neighbors, then it is a must expense!

What most people seeking secure storage do not understand is that when you obtain a minimum U.L. rated safe in the T-15+ range, the contents are insurable. I don't know how much ammo you want to store, but I keep many thousands of dollars worth of ammo in varying calibers, but then I really love to shoot and loaded up before all this ammo gauging started. This does not even account for the value of my firearms or other valuables.

Also, if you are going to store $15-30,000+ worth of ammo, is it not better to spend $3,000 for a U.L. rated safe? I use a 20 cu foot TRTL-30x6 safe, and the safe company insures the contents up to $750,000 without additional premium cost on my homeowners insurance. However, this safe weighs 5,500 lbs. empty, but since you live on the first floor, which is concrete slab, it would be ok. LOL
Let 3 burglars try and carry my safe out the door. Not to mention I have it bolted 3 times into sunk receivers with 1" thick steel plating surrounding the safe and bolted to concrete slab. :=)

You can find high quality used U.L. rated safes online through auctions and other sources. Banks and jewelry stores are always going out of business and liquidate safes, sometime for $0.20 - 0.35 on the dollar. So you can purchase a TL - 15, contents insured up to $150,000, for under $1,000 and even $600 if you are lucky. If you can move a 850 - 3,000 lb safe yourself, your only additional cost will be for a Locksmith to help you change the combination, always a must when buying a used or even new safe.

I doubt you will find anything of insurable quality for under $500-750 used and really under $1500-2,000 new. It sucks, I know. I forked out over $10K for my safe, but then I keep many times that dollar amount worth of firearms and ammo and other value items in the safe. But I sleep safe knowing my items are very secure, insured and my 6 year old son and his friends couldn't even get into it with dynamite.

Again, sorry to write a novel, but if you are simply seeking cheap containers and only keep one or two small firearms and little ammo in your house, then go online and buy some surplus military ammo cans, which run about $15 - 30 per and can store about 1,000 rounds .45 ACP. And if you own a Pit-Bull, then your security issue is hereby resolved.

Finally, and this has nothing to do with your situation, I am always amazed at NRA members and firearm lovers I meet at local ranges and events who own thousands and tens of thousands and EVEN hundreds of thousands in firearms, ammunition, gold, silver and so on who store these items in inexpensive safes.

As always, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by HoosierDave1967; December 30, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 06:16 PM   #11
jsab9191

We all have things we find important, we should provide the level of security that fit our needs and budget . $10,000. of security to guard $3,000. worth of guns and ammo is overkill in my view.v
Old January 2, 2014, 10:58 AM   #12
Kimio

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Money is not as much of a concern as much as space.

The apartment I'm looking at May land me on the 2nd or even 3rd floor, so I need to consider weight issues.

Actual floor real estate is one of the bigger concerns, and while the apartment isn't exactly tiny, I'd like to be able to efficiently use the space available as much as possible.

If I do decide to go the safe route, is there a particular brand that would be recommended? Capacity desired would be to store at least 5-10 long arms a pistol or two and plenty of ammo to go along with said firearms ranging from several hundred to a thousand rounds of .22lr, 9mm, .223 and .308