The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
AL45

What's causing this brass problem?

I was inspecting some rifle brass after I fired it today and noticed on 12 out of 28 pieces, the mouth was slightly pushed in on one side. This is Norma 6.5 mm brass that has been resized to 7.35 mm. The other 16 pieces are round, like they should be. What would cause this and can they be resized without problems?
Old June 28, 2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Gster

A pic. would help. Sounds like it happens during extraction. I get a lot of 9mm and .40 brass like that. Should resize fine.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3
LE-28

I agree with Gster,

From your description it does sound like it's happening on extraction.

you may have thinned out the necks of the brass from reforming them and they just aren't as strong as they used to be.

Depending on how badly their damaged, you could round them out with something to get them round enough that the resizing die will except them.

You should post some pictures. You would get better answers.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:50 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
This is Norma 6.5 mm brass that has been resized to 7.35 mm.
Do you mean that when expanding the neck from 6.5 to 7.35, the case mouths are off-setting on some of the cases? If that is correct, and you are using a 7.35 die to expand, the neck is shifting due to being unsupported during the process. If you must try to make 7.35 cases from 6.5 cases, fire-forming my be a better option. However, if you mean that there is a flat area on the mouth of the cases after firing, it most likely is caused by the case striking the side of the receiver when ejecting. You have to be more detailed in your description of the issue.
Quote:
...can they be resized without problems?
If not too sever, they can be resized without issue.

Last edited by dahermit; June 28, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:50 AM   #5
AL45

Based on what you are saying and other research I have done, I believe it to be an extraction issue.This is a bolt action rifle and the more I shot the rifle, the less it happened. What is the probable cause and is it anything to worry about?
Old June 28, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
...the more I shot the rifle, the less it happened...
Could it be that once you noticed the problem and suspected an ejection (not likely "extraction"), you used less force when you pulled back on the bolt to extract and eject?
Old June 28, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
AL45

Dahermit, I didn't notice the problem until I got home and started looking at the brass. It is true that I started going slower on extraction so I could keep the brass on the bench and out of the dirt.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:07 PM   #8
serf 'rett

Could the thinner case mouths be damaged when they hit the dirt?

Just a thought.
Old June 28, 2013, 05:47 PM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
Dahermit, I didn't notice the problem until I got home and started looking at the brass. It is true that I started going slower on extraction so I could keep the brass on the bench and out of the dirt.
The next time you go to the range, shoot one, pull the bolt handle back slowly and watch to see what happens to the brass. You might also want to try operating the bolt handle vigorously to extract a fired casing and watch to see if it hits the side of the ejection port.