The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2011, 03:47 PM   #1
TennJed

lee three hole turret with 4 hole conversion

i see that midway has the lee classic 4 hloe turret for $105...they also have a 3 hole turret for $71 and a 4 hole conversion for $15...a total of $86

what advantages does the classic 4 hole have over buying the 3 hole and the conversion kit?....would i need a conversion kit for every set of dies?
Old June 3, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Eazmo

buy the classic turret it has the 4 hole and is the better one

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/...g/classic.html
Old June 3, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Technosavant

Lee has two turret presses out there; the Classic Turret and the "non classic" turret. The Classic Turret is WAY better than the regular one, and it only comes in four hole.

It's worth the money. I never see anybody complain about the Classic Turret (I love mine). Such cannot be said for the other.
Old June 3, 2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Sevens

The original Lee turret press has a full aluminum housing and is a very old design. It works, it's a decent tool, but it's definitely not the sturdiest press ever built.

The Classic turret is built on a cast iron base and is a much newer, much stronger design. Between the two, the Classic turret is a much better, much more sturdy design. It's really more of an upgrade than the price might indicate.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5
lamarw

Lets compare apples to apples here and leave out the oranges. Lee Precision has three turret presses. They have the three hole turret press with the MSRP of $99.00, the regular four hole turret press with an MSRP of $109.00, and the Classic Turret Press which retails for $146.00.

So, if you take a Lee three hole turret press and add the conversion kit (MSRP $20.00) you then you end up with the regular $109.00 four hole turret press.

The Classic Turret press is the best of the bunch and well worth the additional cost. I believe this is the one Midway is offering for a good price. You will not get this press by buying the three hole and adding the four hole conversion kit.

I personally recommend you buy the Classic Four Hole Turret Press. It is of significantly higher quality than the other two turret presses by Lee.

I have never liked the auto indexing function on the Lee Turret Presses, and I disconnect this feature and do it manually. I load just as fast without it and with less aggravation. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited by lamarw; June 3, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:55 PM   #6
TennJed

thanks guys that is what i was needing to know