The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 13, 2010, 10:33 AM   #1
cbrabham

Ruger MkIII stovepipe jam fix

My Ruger Mk III pistol was prone to stovepipe jams. It would get one and sometimes two of them in each magazine full of ammo.

I kept asking around different forums until somebody told me that the magazine could be modified to fix this problem.

There are two pairs of lips on the magazine, separated by a gap through which the rim of the case rises while feeding. The rear pair of lips have a squared-off edge that the case sometimes contacts after firing, before it has a chance to move backward far enough to hit the ejector.

When this happens, you get a stovepipe jam.

By rounding off and polishing the front edge of the rear set of magazine lips, this problem is eliminated.

I rounded and polished the front edge of the rear set of magazine lips with a Moto-Tool and some #400 grit wetordry sandpaper, and polished the upper edge of the front set of lips. - After that, no more stovepipe jams!

In the picture which follows, two magazines are shown. Both have the follower held down and out of the way with a toothpick. The rearmost clip is stock, the one in front is modified.

{ Click the image to see it magnified. }

Old June 13, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2
longlane

thanks for the fix!

Everyone that I know loves their .22 rugers--mine's been a bit of a jammomatic. Will try fix soon.