The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Come and take it.

Rave on the Remington 11-87 Police shotgun

I have never owned a semi-auto shotgun. Always used pumps cause people tell me they are more reliable and that you can fire a pump as fast as an autoloader. I have enjoyed the use of pump shotguns for 20 years and never even fired an autoloader during that whole time or back when I was younger and could only afford a single shot.

I acquired an 11-87 recently. It is the only semi-auto shotgun action I know of (1100s etc) that has a solid reputation for reliablity.

I was not disappointed whatsoever. The version I have has rifle sights and extended tube. It will put the rounds down range as fast as you can pull the trigger. I put both light game loads and high base slugs through it without a hitch.

I would hate to be the poor sap that breaks into my house. I prefer using full bore slugs in my shotguns.

This has to be about one of the best tactical shotguns ever conceived.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:03 AM   #2
hometheaterman

Wait so your saying the 11-87 is the only reliable semi auto you know of and the 1100's aren't reliable? Or you are saying that the 1100's are reliable too? There are many reliable semi auto's out there. I've tried both pumps and semi auto's and much prefer the semi auto's. However, it's just a personal preference. I can also honestly say that reliability wise I had more problems with my old 870 Express Super Magnum pump than I have any semi auto I've used. One exception is my buddies 11-87. I probably even had more problems than his but for some reason these last two years it really wants to jam on him. Seems to be a fairly new thing though.

For the most part the 11-87's are great guns and a good choice especially if you want an affordable semi auto. This coming from a man that isn't a Remington fan after dealing with a few of them. However, the 1100's and the 11-87's are the two I like.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:14 AM   #3
NYCShooter

The 11-87 is the only semi-auto that has a solid reputation for reliability? I think if my butt were on the line I would surely rather be shooting a Benelli M4.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:25 AM   #4
XD Gunner

Remington 1100's were some of the FIRST reliable Semi-Autos, but there are more guns now that are reliable, and have the reputation for being reliable, than there once were. The 1100 is the gun that made Semi-Auto shotguns viable.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old November 15, 2009, 01:52 AM   #5
Creeper

You may have to pardon his enthusiasm guys... you know how it is, perception is reality and all that.

"I was crying because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet"

C
Old November 15, 2009, 01:57 AM   #6
Ricky

Shotguns

I've shot my 870 pump and 1100 one after the other, shooting for speed and accuracy. No contest, I can shoot WAY faster with my 1100 without sacrificing accuracy. My 1100 is my bird gun, I've had it for about 30 years. Shot quail, doves and pheasant with it. As far as I can tell it's as reliable as my Glock. Never a hickup at all.
Old November 15, 2009, 02:32 AM   #7
jgcoastie

It's all subjective... Depends entirely on the owner's perspective...

OP: Congrats on your new shotgun...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 15, 2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Come and take it.

Yes I meant that the 1100 is reliable cause the 11-87 uses the 1100 action improved. etc meant 1100, 11-87 action.

Benellis are good semi-autos too as a friend of mine had a Black Eagle that he really bragged on. I considered getting a Saiga once but it seems the reliablity is dependant on which Russian factory cranked them out according to the Saiga forums.

Also I like the feature that the gun functions well with just about any load cause I have heard some semi-autos are very finicky about the load needed to cycle the action. I don't like the idea of having to adjust a gas system cause I might get careless and leave the gas system set for light loads and than send heavy loads down the tube.

A semi-auto would make things a lot simpler when you wake up all groggy in the middle of the night and need some firepower without much micro-managment. I never really trusted the safety on the mossberg pumps but feel confident with the 11-87s safety enough to keep a round in the tube.

Which I am not as knowledgable on shotguns as I am on rifles. Just love my new gun is all.

Last edited by Come and take it.; November 15, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old November 19, 2009, 10:43 AM   #9
jamesavery22

Quote:
the reliablity is dependant on which Russian factory cranked them out according to the Saiga forums

I've never heard this. Did not know Izhmash had multiple places that manufactured Saigas... Do you have any info on this?

While there are definitely some small differences in the multiple Saiga-12's I've handled they have all been very reliable.

The only issues I've seen are due to cheap US made mags. AGP, Surefire, Promags.

As with any gas operated auto there are certain very light loads you can't use with certain guns.

Wally World bulk Winchester birdshot is known to by light.
Old November 20, 2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Sam06

I know just how you feel about the 1100's. I was always a Pump Gun guy for HD and a O/U for hunting. Well the O/U is still my upland bird gun but a SBE is my Duck gun. They are very reliable and shoot so fast its not even funny.

3 years ago I wanted to start shooting 3 gun but I lacked a Tact Shotgun. I had an 870 for HD but it did not have the extended mag and all that. I did not want to mess it up so I looked for an 1100. I found one that was abused for $155. I turned it into a Remington Compitition master for under 400 Bucks including the price of the gun. I learned a lot about the 1100. Since then I have built guns for 3 other for guys that shoot with me. They are great guns. They have a few faults though;
1. they get hot with extended shooting
2. they are a little temperamental about ammo sometimes, especially reloads.
3. You have to watch how short you cut a barrel down or they will not operate very reliably. 20" is about the minimum without going into the ports
4. Have some spare rings. I have seen one gun fail due to them breaking but it had been shot a lot and was old.
5. Timing the lifter will make you pull your hair out but once you have done it its a POC.
6. Be Careful leaving "one UP the Spout" The safety only blocks the trigger not the sear. I use mine for HD but I keep it in Patrol ready.

Have fun with a classic Auto loader, the one that showed the world a gas gun will work!

Sam
Old November 22, 2009, 02:09 PM   #11
longcall911

I grew up on pumps too and have to say that I would have no problem with bringing a semi-auto to an intense fight. I've been very impressed with my mossy 930spx in terms of reliability. It feeds every brand shell I've tried to put through it flawlessly and allows me to re-acquire the target quickly, putting a whole lot of lead downfield in a hurry.

I'm not saying that it is any better or worse than the 1100 series, just that I think there are a number of good ones out there and share your enthusiasm for today's semi's.

/*tom*/
Old November 22, 2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Wishoot

I'll stack my Winchester Super X2 up against any other semi out there. Thousands of rounds and it's never once failed to go boom.
Old March 8, 2010, 06:01 PM   #13
AndyKUSAF

Remington 1100 reliability

I was on the professional skeet tourney for many years and have shot many thousands of rounds through a remington 1100, Most bird hunters wont even shoot 1/100 of the rounds i have fired over a 25 year skeet career, I have owned most beretta autos to me they feel like 2 x 4s and still prefer to shoot my 1100s. The bottom line with an auto is not only reliability but fit and the ability to shoot well with it, the remington 1100 fits most is Super reliable and one of the best autos made to this date, I had my berreta 390 freeze on me on a goose hunt but my 1100 magnum kept on shooting as 1100s are shot dry and berettas need a little oil, The black eagle is another great auto but again does not fit me like an 1100, ill stick with them till the day i die
Old March 9, 2010, 04:39 PM   #14
greco

Andy, same here. I went on a streak of shooting tournament skeet a few years ago. I put 30,000 rounds apiece thru 2 11-87s in 2-3 year period. Never replaced a single part, including the little rubber O-rings. I still have them. Very impressive guns. I sure like that M4 Benelli, but haven't fired one yet. It may be my next buy...
Old March 9, 2010, 04:54 PM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
Always used pumps cause people tell me they are more reliable and that you can fire a pump as fast as an autoloader
Now get your hands on a good O/U or SxS -

Glad you like your new gun - have fun with it