The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Josh Smith

Who Did Taurus Copy This Thumb Safety From?

Hello,

I got a Taurus PT1911 thumb safety a while back in a trade.

I got bored and fitted it as I like it tonight.

For me, this design is the perfect design. I did not have to cut down my left side paddle to keep it from impacting my left hand on a high hand hold. I usually have to do this, being left handed and all.

Here are some pictures (click the thumbnails):

As you can see, both sides are exactly the same.

My question to you is, who did Taurus copy? I have this safety installed, but I suspect it's MIM. Can anyone confirm/deny? As well, I'm not sure of the quality. When I received it, the part of the safety lug that contacts the sear was filed at an angle, from the factory. I trued it up, but I'd like a new one.

It looks a lot like my STI, but the STI has the left side paddle sticking out further, something I can't be having.

Is this a Brown copy? McCormick? I figure on using this design on my future builds, and I need a ready supply (besides a better quality part).

Thanks,

Josh <><
Old January 19, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
David the Gnome

Just find an aftermarket thumb safety you like and install it. Does it really matter if it's identical in appearance to the factory one? Half the fun of owning a 1911 is making it the way you like.