The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 13, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Mr Beta

Remote Trigger Release

I was reading somewhere that having a trigger that fired a weapon by any other means than a finger or lever moved by your hand is illegal. Is this true? I know that you can't program something to fire multiple rounds with with a single pull/push of a trigger/button but as for a single round per actuation?
Would that law/rule include the hydraulic trigger mechanisms?
Just an inquiring mind.

Last edited by Mr Beta; March 13, 2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old March 13, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Zephyrnoid

I've been dreaming of electronic triggers for a while- but they would be directly actuated not remotes. I think the logic against remote triggers is obvious- it dissociates the actuating party ie the shooter from the act, firing the round by just that much.In addition, there may be more margin for ADs.In addition, you then open up a can of worms. If you can develop and implement an electronic remote trigger, then it can be computer controlled. Program the computer and you've basically invented a robotic shooter. If the computer has any AI built into it, it becomes a 'self directed' robotic shooter- something none of us would like to deal with on the street.
Old March 13, 2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Mr Beta

Very true and very funny.
So am I just splitting hairs or is there really something against that?
Old March 13, 2007, 08:45 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Disregarding black powder as there may be an exemption for that, if you actuate a remote that requires an action by you to work the trigger of a gun and it can only do so once without resetting, you're OK. One of the things that helps eliminate human error for gun rests from makers such as Ransom is to incorporate a leveer that works the trigger. The lever must be moved by you. It (and the gun in its clamp) must be reset for every shot. Some folks use a sting instead.

The string is not to be confused by the ring/string set-up that someone had devised one time on a Garand or M1A (can't remember which) that was actuated by a finger and was looped in such a way around the trigger and attached to the charging handle that keeping the ring pulled back caused the action to cycle automatically. The ATF classified it as full auto. I'm sure someone will post a link to it.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Mr Beta

So a remote servo motor or something wouldn't be legal?
Old March 14, 2007, 11:52 AM   #6
hksigwalther

If it can be readily convertable to fire the gun multiple times with just one press of the switch, I wouldn't think that it would be legal. You could ask the ATF yourself to get a definite decision, though.