The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 4, 2004, 09:07 PM   #1
jenn1270

Gun Safe

My brother and sister-in-law are expecting their first child soon. My brother keeps a ruger around for home defense, but with the baby on the way I wanted to get him a handgun safe for christmas. What safes do you recommend and how much to they usually run?

Jenn
Old November 5, 2004, 04:07 PM   #2
TFL4L

A very thoughtful gift, indeed.

I recently went through the selection process for a bedside safe, and after much consultation decided I did NOT want a safe that had an electronic mechanism of any kind (despite the 'cool factor' of the electronic finger tip buttons or fingerprint recognition gizmos). Murphy tells us that at the most inopportune time, the internal batteries will fail and the backup a/c adaptor will find no power. That led me to look for mechanical locking mechanisms only.

I settled on a V-line Hideaway. It has the foolproof, pushbutton Simplex mechaism that you can set to any combo you want. It bolts up neatly underneath the bed, and features a drawer that slides out to easily present your handgun. I can access the contents of the safe in seconds in pitch dark, by feel only. I highly recommend this safe (and no, I don't work for them in any way!).

http://www.vlineind.com/html/hide-away.html
Old November 6, 2004, 01:09 AM   #3
Brick

According to gun genius and well-recognized pro-gun-politican Ted Kennedy, a .30-30 can penetrate a 600lb safe with 600lbs of armour.

So basically I could shoot enough holes in your safe to get the guns.

:barf:

Old November 6, 2004, 08:05 PM   #4
saands

I also applaud your choice of Christmas present. I have two that I have used and like them both. The first one I purchased the day after I had a 3am pounding on the door due to a mistaken address. My firearms were all secured in a standard safe and it took me a LONG time to access them. Fortunately the mistake was caused by a little too much alcohol and the guy just wanted to go to sleep ... but it occurred to me that the same mistake could involve a husband with a monogomously challenged wife ... and THAT would not be good

Not willing to search too long, I got a small fireproof safe that used a key to open it. I put one key on my car/house keys and the spare in the real safe and brought the keys to the safe when I was home and by definition took the keys with me when I left (and the safe was therefore always locked when I wasn't nearby). Those types can run as little as $40 for a pretty solid one that will easily hold a pistol, flashlight and two mags. I always kept it with one mag inserted and one extra with no rounds chambered. Having been a firefighter, I always recommend that people don't store their HD firearms with a round chambered because it will cook off in a house fire and leave the safe at full velocity ... at least!

Eventually, I found a good deal on a Gun Vault model with the 4 finger codes and I have REALLY liked that one. It is faster and I never have to leave it open or worry about it. It even alerts you if someone curious has been trying to open it while you were away. They seem to be available for around $140 or so.

I don't know that either one is really more secure than the other, but the GV is certainly more convenient. The batteries last a LONG time.

Saands