The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 22, 2001, 08:41 AM   #1
biganimal

swedish mauser question

I just bought 2 model 96 swedes and plan to use the actions for a couple of custom guns. I have built 4 already, 22-250, 264 win mag, 308, 243, but all were built on mauser 98 actions.

my question is how good are the swedes for this and what calibers are they best suited for?I was thinking about maybe a 338, 338/06, or 30/06.

any suggestions?
Old September 22, 2001, 10:34 AM   #2
xraymongral

The model 96 is a small ring action, the barrel is smaller in diameter then the large ring 98 action. It is best to stick with a chambering that is at or below the 6.5x55 preassures. Better yet, enjoy the finest Mausers ever made as they are...don't ruin them by customizing! These are great weapons, if you don't like them, sell them to someone who will appreciate them for what they are and go get a couple of 98 actions to build a rifle on! These, the words of a guy who doesn't have enough Swedish mausers yet and hates to see them all "bubba-ized" before I can afford to buy more of them!
Old September 22, 2001, 11:22 AM   #3
biganimal

xraydog
guess we'll never agree on this subject, but I don't see building on these actions as "bubbasizing". I view this as craftsmanship. It takes a skill to build a rifle that will shoot sub-moa groups on an action that previously was capable of only 1.75 inch groups at 100 yds.

I have fired both rifles and am not impressed with either or the caliber, just my opinion. On the other hand I find the workmanship in these rifles to be splendid, thats why I want to use them in the first place.

If I do find a couple of 98 actions I'll put the 96's up for sale and give you first grabs on em. If not the left over parts will be for sale.

And thank you for the information you have provided here.
Old September 22, 2001, 08:40 PM   #4
JNewell

Big, however you feel about X's comments, he's right. The 96 action is neither strong enough or long enough for the calibers you mention, IIRC.
Old September 23, 2001, 06:14 AM   #5
biganimal

mr newell,
now where did I say X was wrong about the calibers that I mentioned?

I just said that I'm not impressed with the 6.5X55 or these particular rifles. If you would read my original post you'll notice that I was ASKING if the swedes were suitable for the calibers that I mentioned. If they are not I'll choose a caliber that they ARE suited for.

X and I only disagree on the concept of taking these rifles apart and using the actions for another caliber.

Thanks for your in-put and after reading a couple of books I do agree with you, so I'm leaning towards making one a 243 and the other might be a 22 hornet

Any input here?
Old September 23, 2001, 10:40 AM   #6
Gewehr98

.22 Hornet yes. .243 Winchester - NO!

The .243 Winchester is a derivative of the .308 Winchester, and unless you plan on loading the .243 with light loads, that cartridge is too much oomph for the M96 Swedish Mauser action. 7x57Mauser, light-loaded .244 Remington, obviously 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, and even non +P .257 Roberts chamberings have been done often on the Swedish action, but it really isn't well suited for cartridges based on the .308 or .30-06, with their higher pressure levels.

Neural Misfires
Old September 23, 2001, 03:30 PM   #7
JNewell

Sorry, all I meant was pretty much exactly what you said -- that there was a disagreement about whether or not to leave crufflewaffen in their original condition -- no biggie.

Changing the topic just a degree or two, have you read the write-up in Frank deHaas' book on bolt action rifles? I haven't read it in a year or so, but he does cover suitable chamberings for just about every milsurp and commercial action. The copy I have was given to me by my father in the early 70s -- not sure whether he changed the format in later editons. It's a great read.
Old September 24, 2001, 12:33 PM   #8
biganimal

thanks guys. maybe I'll just leave one of em as is and put the hornet bbl on the other.

mr newell, i'll try and locate a copy of the book you mentioned
thanks
Old September 24, 2001, 09:59 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

For anyone interested in bolt actions, I recommend Stuart Otteson's The Bolt Action, in two volumes. If you can only get one, get Vol. 1.

Jim
Old September 26, 2001, 10:23 AM   #10
xraymongral

Heck Big, this got a little lively! Maybe I should add a little more thought here. If the guns are in nice condition, then maybe it wouldbe nice to sell them to a collector and buy a barreled action for what you want to do. You can buy barreled actions
here . That way a good rifle is preserved, and your desire to build a rifle is preserved too.
Old September 26, 2001, 11:25 AM   #11
biganimal

xraymongrel
I'm gonna take your advice and I will build on another receiver and will keep one of these whole, the other might be sold soon. thanks for your help, comments and insight, and sorry if I sounded snotty, don't mean nuthin by it.

the one i keep will be a gift for my son toplay with.