The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2017, 09:24 PM   #1
Huh12345

Wait time on ruger mark iv hunter

Just ordered a ruger mark iv hunter from my local gun store. I had to sign a thing that said I wouldn't ask for the deposit back for 4 months and but I'm seriously hoping it will take significantly less than this. Anyone have any clue how long I should expect to wait?
Old February 22, 2017, 08:44 AM   #2
g.willikers

Until the store runs out of customers for them while you wait 'cause they already have your money?
Old February 24, 2017, 11:23 AM   #3
rock185

I wish you well sir. FWIW, I sure have tried, but have never had much luck special ordering from gun shops. Shops I have dealt with check their favorite distributor or two. Unless that favorite distributor happens to have that particular model you're looking for, Good Luck. You'll likely hear something like, "maybe in a few months", etc. Since they have your deposit $, and you've basically agreed not to bug them for 4 months, I suspect your order has dropped to the lowest priority unless you have some special/favored relationship with the manager or owner. Now the stars may align, and your order may arrive in a timely fashion. If so, you are are very fortunate and must have been living right
Old February 26, 2017, 01:26 PM   #4
SGW Gunsmith

The way that Ruger is handling how the Ruger Mark IV pistols are being produced is almost to the point of being ridiculous.

1) No real introduction, they just turned a batch loose onto the public.

2) Then, they get involved with 1000+ "Distributor Version" models commemorating W. B. Rugers 100th birthday.

3) Then they introduce a "Lite" 22/45 version, with not enough of those to go around.

It's gotta make one wonder if attention to detail is being sacrificed to the rush for sales.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:45 PM   #5
bn12gg

Outboard boat motor manufacturers have a history of inadequately tested engines being introduced to the public. When they explode warranty gets them rebuilt - fixed. Reputations get damaged, example high pressure direct injection engines (hpdi).

Just a thought -- might just fit the new Ruger Mark ?

.02. David.
Old March 5, 2017, 11:05 AM   #6
tennsooner

There is one right now for sale on Gunbroker. I know that does you very little good now but I never ever special order from a gun shop. I know too many people who have and it is usually quite the wait,
Old March 5, 2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Z400ACDC

I bought a MKIV SS Target Monday. Even though I can take my mkii and mkiii up and down, I would not buy another. The first 500 rounds have been malfunction free. I wish the trigger was less than 4.25 pounds, but I can add some VQ parses to fix that. Worth the wait! Ruger should have done thus YEARS ago!
Old March 6, 2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Fishbed77

I've never ordered a firearm from a gunshop and likely never will.

With the availability of internet sales, it seems all the more unnecessary to me.
Old March 6, 2017, 01:41 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

How long an order takes depends on whether or not the shop's supplier has one or not. Some times it can be about the shop's credit rating, but not often with a shop that's been around a while.
Mind you, if you go to Ruger's site and click 'Buy now.', it shows that not even those 2 retailers have any Mk IV's at all. So it's highly unlikely your local shop can or will get one faster than 4 months. If a retailer can't pick up the phone and call his supplier and tell you if they can get one, don't sign anything that lends 'em your money interest free.
Cabela's shows Hunter Target as Back orderable, and plain SS Hunters as 'Limited stock' but ships to your local store in 5-8 days.
"...availability of internet sales..." Won't matter in this case.

Tags
ruger mark iv hunter wait