The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2017, 06:55 AM   #26
Joe from N.Y.

excellent resource

pocket gun guide
Old February 22, 2017, 10:38 PM   #27
lefteye

OOPS - Although I've had three Kahr pistols, I never checked the CM9. My mistake.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:19 AM   #28
ROCK6

I would say for a new CM9, that may be important advice. I can't recall ever having an issue using the slingshot method. With that said, if you can handle the DAO trigger pull, the Sig P290RS is a pretty remarkable handgun in the same size. Admittedly, it's heavy for it's size (actually smaller dimensions than the CM9), and it's not for pocket carry (at least for me); however, it is an absolute pleasure to shoot with great sights.

Another option is the S&W Shield, although it's slightly larger than the CM9, it's a reliable and comfortable pistol to shoot and carry.

ROCK6
Old February 26, 2017, 07:33 PM   #29
chaim

When I went with a small 9mm, with pocket carry in mind, I first bought a SIG P290RS and then added a lighter Kel Tec Pf-9.

Both can be pocket carried if that is what you want to do. Both are a little big for pocket carry. I also have other guns for the same job in various calibers, a couple J-frames (including the 15oz aluminum S&W 442), and a true pocket sized LCP. I have given up on pocket carry for a number of reasons (which I won't go into here).

I have also extensively shot the Kahr PM9 (the higher end version of the CM9) and the all metal MK9 since a good friend used to own them, and I often used to rent the Kel Tec P11 at a local range.

I found the P290, MK9 and PM9 the most comfortable to shoot (in that order). The P11 was OK, the Pf-9 is almost punishing and is definitely uncomfortable.

For pocket carry, any can be pocket carried. The PM9/CM9 is smaller than the P290 or Pf-9 in some dimensions, and the P290 and Pf-9 are smaller in others. The MK9 and P290 are a little heavy for all day pocket carry. Again, they are all doable. Though, if you want a gun purely for pocket carry, you may be better off with a .380.

If you want the gun for IWB, I prefer a little weight. All of these guns will absolutely disappear in a tuckable IWB holster. On the belt, the heavier guns are still quite light. However, the slight extra weight of the metal MK9 or heavy for polymer P290 make a big difference in shooting comfort, and thus follow up shot speed and control.

For capacity, I prefer the P290 or the Kel Tec P11. The P290 comes with two mags, one flush with 6 rounds, and one with an extended mag that carries 8 rounds (for pocket carry I'd use the 6 round mag, but for IWB the 8 round mag is perfect). That is quite a small package carrying 8+1 rounds. The P11 goes 2 better with a 10 round mag (though it will be slower for follow up rounds since it can be a small beast when firing it).

This is why, when in a carry state, I used to carry the P290 about 90% of the time (before moving to larger guns) and still often carry it. I rarely take my Pf-9 to the range let alone carry it, and I plan to take it to the dealer to trade or sell.
Old February 26, 2017, 07:42 PM   #30
chaim

Oh, let me be more explicit and hammer this point a bit...

Do you plan to pocket carry or carry IWB or otherwise carry on the belt?

If you plan to pocket carry, I suppose a few mm in dimensions here or a few oz there will matter. Though, all these small 9mms, while carriable IWB, are a bit large for that duty (doable, not perfect). If you want pocket carry, and want comfort (while carrying), or something that will easily disappear in all pockets, you would probably be better off going with one of the small .380s.

If you plan to carry IWB or on a belt, all these guns are so small and so light that you are getting to where you are splitting hairs. They will all be barely noticeable to you and others won't notice them at all.

If you plan to usually carry them IWB or on a belt (or usually carry larger) and occasionally drop this gun in a pocket, well...these are the 9mm auto version of a J-frame. In other words, this seems to be exactly what they are made for and any of them will be ideal in this role. (Ditto for ankle carry I suppose, but I don't ankle carry, and never have, so I can only speak theoretically on that).
Old February 26, 2017, 07:44 PM   #31
Sawyer.N

Sig p938! Rack it or use slide release. Accurate, and very reliable when properly lubed. Mine functions best with grease. extended mag makes it very manageable.