The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
oldscot3

307 win and inertia pullers

I used to have a 94 Big Bore in 307, sold it six or seven years ago. Just recently I came across three boxes of ammo. One box is factory loads, five fired empties the rest unfired 180s. The other two are handloads, one with 170 gr. Nosler partitions, the other with 170gr. Nosler solid bases. Both those boxes are powdered with Varget.

I thought I might sell the factory loads, takedown the handloads, sell that brass and use the bullets in my 308, but here's my problem... my puller can't get a good enough grip to get them out. I wonder if an inertia puller would work? The last time I used one I had to really pound hard to make it work, I really hate the thought of doing that forty times. Can anyone recommend one that works easily?
Old December 21, 2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Since your loads have been sitting around, you might take a seating die and push them deeper in by just a tiny bit. This is to break any cold welding bond there might be between the neck and bullet. It may then be that your collet puller will hold on hard enough to work.

If you get an inertial puller, use it on a fairly hard surface. Smacking one into the side of a 2×4, as is common to hear of people doing, actually absorbs some of the inertial and makes the puller less effective.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 21, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
TimSr

Like Unclenick said. Push them in slightly to crack them loose. My bench has a very hard covering which works great.
Rifle bullets pull easily with kinetic hammer type puller.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:22 PM   #4
oldscot3

Thanks for the replys but I got it figured out. Those bullets are engineered for 30 30s and have very little full caliber surface above the cannelure. By grasping the puller body, wrapped with a leather strip, and tightening the collet very tight, the bullets would come out.

Took a little longer to get them apart, but it's done now. I've got the cases soaking in water right now, in a bit I'll go back out, deprime them and put them in the tumbler.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Tom Matiska

None of the above. Buy another 307 rifle. With the flex tip FTX's now on the market the round lives up to its full potential as a legit 300 yard round.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
oldscot3

Thanks but no thanks, I'm over it. It has been replaced by a Savage 99 in 308. Handling is similar as you would expect, but ballistic performance and accuracy is superior with the 308. Also, the Savage can use spire points that don't need rubber tips.