The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 3, 2013, 09:06 AM   #26
Nico Testosteros

I use WipeOut.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:31 AM   #27
sc928porsche

I use electronic if it is really bad. Other than that Hoppes works for me.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:20 PM   #28
oldcspsarge

Holland's Witches Brew is the most effective copper fouling remover I have ever seen. Follow the directions and a little elbow grease and you will see the difference.

I use it in my .17 Remington and it makes an impressive difference.

available @ www.midwayusa.com
Old February 4, 2013, 08:33 AM   #29
bubbacrabb

I'm another sweets 762 guy. I havent used to many others, but I used it and it worked. Will probably last me a long time. I dont use it but a few times a year.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:51 PM   #30
chipchip

Butches Bore Shine
Old February 6, 2013, 10:37 PM   #31
smokemup

I've had good luck with the KG stuff. It's not magic, but does work. KG12 bore cleaner along with KG2 bore polish does a super job.

Old February 6, 2013, 11:40 PM   #32
reynolds357

I bought some KG 12 based on this thread. It has not impressed me yet. It is much slower than Montana Extreme.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:16 AM   #33
mehavey

How are you determining that there's copper left after the KG-12? (Remember, it doesn't turn blue -- just brown crud comes out after a 5-minute soak/then dry patch.)

I will get some ME, however, and run the bullet weight-loss test between it and KG12. (Inquiring minds want to know !)
Old February 7, 2013, 12:31 AM   #34
KO3422

M-Pro 7 Copper have been pretty good to me.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:55 AM   #35
reynolds357

I can see the copper with a bore scope. I think the KG12 will be wonderful for rifles I am not in a hurry to clean. Put it in, let it set overnight, put it in let it set all day, etc. etc. When I need it clean in 20 min. Montana extreme seems to fill the bill much better. The KG-12 gets all the copper, just not very quickly.
Old July 19, 2013, 04:30 PM   #36
MaDMaXX

Mehavey, did you get the ME and test it?

reynolds, remember that ME is ammonia, whereas the other products contain none.
Old July 19, 2013, 07:32 PM   #37
rebs

you guys that use gunslick foam, how long do you leave it in the barrel ?
Old July 20, 2013, 12:27 AM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't have any gunslick foam anymore. I used it up and now I'm sticking to the Outers and Breakfree foams. But every foaming bore cleaner that I can recall seeing has intructions about how long to leave it in the bore printed on the bottle.
Old July 20, 2013, 06:16 AM   #39
TheNatureBoy

Barnes CR-10.
Old July 20, 2013, 09:14 PM   #40
steveNChunter

another vote for Sweet's 7.62

It just flat-out works for removing copper. Quickly. But don't leave it in the bore for more than about 15 minutes or it will start to eat away at the rifling.
Old July 20, 2013, 09:25 PM   #41
MaDMaXX

I'm reading that once you go away from ammonia (not a great thing to use for it) then the top three appear to be;

M-Pro7 Copper remover
KG12
Bore Tech Cu+2

I'm certainly preferring the move away from toxic solvents, but it's only within the last ten years (generally) that this change is happened (not just in the shooting industry) so it's taking a while to persuade people to them, especially the older die-hards.
Old July 20, 2013, 10:33 PM   #42
steveNChunter

Quote:
I'm certainly preferring the move away from toxic solvents
As long as you don't try to drink them you should be fine

Hasn't killed me or my rifles yet
Old July 20, 2013, 10:52 PM   #43
MaDMaXX

Yeah, being more careful is highly recommended, but it basically slowly poisons you if you're not careful with it, getting it on your skin.

Besides, someone on here referenced a 2006 article on cleaning, checking with a borescope (i wish more people had them!) and it called foul (rimshot) on the older petro-based stuff, the newer concoctions are a large improvement
Old July 21, 2013, 12:23 AM   #44
ach224

+1 for Bore Tech Cu+2. This stuff is awesome!
Old July 21, 2013, 01:23 AM   #45
Jimro

Quote:
I'm certainly preferring the move away from toxic solvents, but it's only within the last ten years (generally) that this change is happened (not just in the shooting industry) so it's taking a while to persuade people to them, especially the older die-hards.
Everything is toxic. Just depends on the dose.

Jimro
Old July 21, 2013, 01:27 AM   #46
MaDMaXX

Different definition, but yes, although the point i'm making here is whether something is actively harmful, not based upon how much we're 'taking'
Old July 21, 2013, 02:03 AM   #47
Jimro

MaDMaXX, do you worry about lead dust from primers? If not, I wouldn't worry about "toxic chemicals" in your cleaning solvent.

Copper iteslf can cause heavy metal toxicity. Selenium is an essential trace element but deadly in higher quantities.

If you want to talk about the danger of mutagenic compounds we can do that, or if you want to talk about low dose toxicity substances (such as Uranium or Plutonium) we can talk abou that.

But just saying "toxic chemicals" is like saying "wet water."

Bottom line, ANY of the cleaning solvents listed can and will kill you in a sufficient does. ALL of them are perfectly safe when used as directed.

Jimro
Old July 21, 2013, 09:13 AM   #48
hooligan1

I'll say it again gentlemen, Bore Tech Eliminator, everything else just doesn't work as good,, and I've tried them all.
Old July 21, 2013, 12:01 PM   #49
603Country

Hooligan is right. I've tried almost all of the copper removers and Boretech Eliminator is easily the best I've used. And yes, I used Sweets for a long time. Boretech is better.

I tested it on a rifle that I had recently cleaned. I had gotten all the copper out of it using an ammonia based cleaner, or so I thought. With the Boretech, I got a lot more copper out. A lot.

That said, sometimes a rifle shoots best when it still has some copper in the bore, so maybe you don't want it all removed. That's up to you and your rifle. I've got some of both, some where clean is good and some where clean isn't so good. Took me a while to figure out which rifle was which.
Old July 21, 2013, 12:17 PM   #50
MaDMaXX

I must not be explaining myself very well

I'm talking about the poisonous, carcinogenic compounds in the petro-based solvents. When you know someone who has died in his early 30's from exposure in the garage environment, you want to take the safer option

My point is that whilst i'm all happy go go playing with petrol/brake cleaner/bore solvent/etc and have the smell around me, it's really bad for me, *really* bad.

I'm trying to be sensible, we now have the options out there in the water based and "non-toxic" based cleaners, you will have to go and look up the term 'non-toxic' if you don't like it and see what that means to the manufacturing industry.

I especially like the findings from this 2006 Precision Shooting article: http://www.boretech.com/docs/article...ooting_jan.pdf
Very helpful, but also very enlightening from the standpoint of how effective is the old technology we thought was working fine.

Since that article was written, Boretech seem to have come out with a specifically targeted copper remover, Cu+2, which differs from Eliminator in that it is stronger on copper and doesn't really attack the carbon.

Anyway, i'm just wanting to choose the newer, more high tech options which are proven to work better than the older formulas that some people stick to for various reasons, including that they believe they're still as effective (now dis-proven)

All of which helps me, cleaner and better protected guns as well as the ability to do gun cleaning in my office without the need for ventilation!