The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
parttime

first lead bullets

Here I go with another basic question!
I have loaded and fired several hundred rounds of jacketed bullets through my .357 mag handgun. I normally seat the bullets at 1.585 COL, which places the bullet in the case close to the top of the crimp ring. I recently purchased some lead bullets (158 gr.) from Missouri Bullet Co. When seating a dummy round with the lead bullets I found that when the COL is at 1.585 it places the top grove of the bullet inside the case. Is it OK to crimp at that point or should I increase the length and seat the bullet at the top of the upper grove of the lead cast bullet and crimp there? Thanks in advance for any help with this silly question.
Old January 18, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2
snuffy

Not a silly question, but what is so special about 1.585? Seating the bullet out a little further does not break any laws. Unless doing so results in the bullet exceeding the length of the cylinder. As long as the round can chamber and allow the cylinder to rotate, you're good to go.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 18, 2010, 05:16 PM   #3
PCJim

To add to Snuffy's response, it is always safer to use a greater COL than what is published as it increases case volume beneath the bullet and thus reduces pressure. Again, provided as Snuffy said, that the round will properly chamber in the cylinder.

On the other hand, reducing COL reduces case volume thus increasing pressure. This is where you have to be careful. If you find that you need to use a shorter COL, rework your loads.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Edward429451

Your COAL will be determined by the location of the crimp groove on your lead bullet for revolver rounds. Lead bullets take less powder than jacketed also.
Old January 19, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5
That'll Do

Parttime,

When seating lead bullets, the crimp groove will determine the seating depth. You want to seat the bullet so that you'll be crimping the brass into the top of the groove.

The only instance where I would not seat in the crimp groove would be if the round was too long for the cylinder (which does occur with certain guns, in certain calibers).
Old January 19, 2010, 06:13 PM   #6
parttime

Thank you everyone for the info. The main concern that I had was that the crimp groove on the lead cast bullets is so much deeper than the jacketed bullets I thought that it may create a looser crimp and the bullet might slide forward. I loaded up 16 rounds with the bullets seated at the top of the crimp groove and fired them this afternoon. They worked flawlessly, no creeping forward of the bullets as I had feared. They did have a point of impact slightly higher than my other rounds however (gives more reason to reload and experiment some more). I must also say that the ordering and shipping from Missouri Bullet Co. was easy and fast, with a price so reasonable that it is making me rethink my wanting to cast my own. Thanks again everyone.