The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2010, 12:45 AM   #26
RBrush

I just started loading for my 45-70's also this last year. I found the hornady 325gr FTX(leverloution) bullets are being sold now. (Cabelas, .Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt) I loaded a box up using the data on hornady's website and found that they are extremly accurate and you can drop your powder down do your own comfort level and still get good performance with a pointed bullet. I know from a two deer season at 265yds and 280yds with the rangfinder. I'm glad to hear about so many people being happy with the handi rifle. I just ordered mine last Tuesday in 243 win. Good Luck.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:11 AM   #27
snuffy

Shortly after I bought my NEF buff classic, I called H&R with one question???. What pressure level could I load to? The nice lady that answered said," all of our single shot rifles can be safely loaded to top lever rifle loadings, IOW level II loads. "

I tried several barn burners with 405 lead boolits, was nursing a sore shoulder for about a week after that! Enough misery, now I seldom go above mid level II loads. No need to load like it was a 458 mag! The main problem with the buff is that darned curved STEEL buttplate! Might be period correct, but it sure ain't comfortable! I will be looking for a regular wood stocked receiver or a complete nuther rifle to get a standard buttstock. Then put a kick eeze or limbsaver on it. Maybe some lead in the stock as well!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 17, 2010, 02:03 PM   #28
80viking

snuffy-I know what your saying about the recoil on that platform. I always wanted a Ruger #1 or a #3 because they are so strong and such a beautiful gun, but that level of power in a 6# gun is why I never bought one.

In my previous post I was referring to the topic of this thread ''handloading'' not factory ammo.
Old January 18, 2010, 07:30 AM   #29
B78-22250

45/70

Cult you are correct the 400 speer Jacketed flat nose kills on both ends.
The 300 hp can and I have loaded to 55 gr rx7. My handi rifle shows no pressure signs with that load. But to make life simple I load both to the same 50 gr rx7 load. My speer #11 gives this load for the 400gr as 52 gr max. This is a level 2 load. My gun did not like 350 gr bullets. But these two shoot sub moa and hit like a freight train. Give rx7 and your 300's a try I think you will be surprised and happy. Good luck and good shooting.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:51 AM   #30
darkgael

signs

Quote:
The 300 hp can and I have loaded to 55 gr rx7. My handi rifle shows no pressure signs with that load.
I use a similar level load with IMR 4198. The problem that we face, though, is that cases like the 45-70 may not show any signs of overpressure even though they are.
Pete