The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old August 15, 2004, 10:03 PM   #26
mattd

Hey Denny, any chance of getting a free trial issue?
mattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2004, 10:29 AM   #27
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

mattd-
No chance at all. Same deal as above--if you're not happy with what you receive I'll reimburse you for the cost.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2004, 11:27 AM   #28
Rich Lucibella
Staff

mattd-
Actually we do offer free S.W.A.T. SnapShots

These are full article excerpts from each issue in PDF format. They may be downloaded from the online store at http://swatmag.com/shop

Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2004, 09:25 AM   #29
Jeff Gonzales

Do it...

M...

When I have peers whom I have the utmost respect for tell me they subscribe to SWAT because of the content that says it all. While I may seem biased I am confident you will find that SWAT delivers. Take the chance and pick up a couple, you will find it consistency brings solid material to the end user.

Later,
Jeff Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2004, 07:53 PM   #30
Ghost-1

Hey Denny, I like reading the SWAT mag's when ever I can get my hand's on it I have a hard time getting it around here the shoppet's never stock enough and the main PX is a joke wjen it come's to getting any type of gun mag's, let me know how much a subcribtion is.
Old August 30, 2004, 12:01 PM   #31
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Ghost-1,
A one year subscription is $26.95. That saves about 18 bucks a year off the newsstand price. Two and three year subs save even more. You can subscribe on-line at www.swatmag.com

Denny
Old August 30, 2004, 08:26 PM   #32
Ghost-1

Thanks Denny I will get to it as soon as I get back home.
Old September 6, 2004, 06:26 PM   #33
techbrute

First off, let me say that I'm a big SWAT fan.

Secondly, I realize that this thread started a while back, but I am wondering something...

If someone is curious about the mag, why not wander down to the local bookstore and thumb through it? Heck, maybe even spend the $5 to own it and read it at your leisure? Just a thought.

Great mag Denny! A while back, I stopped subscribing to all the magazines (around 25, car, gun, and computer) that I was getting. SWAT is the only gun rag that I still read.
Old September 6, 2004, 06:57 PM   #34
FPrice

USP45usp...

I renewed my SWAT subscription a few months ago. I think what it offers the average joe is a look at tactics, techniques, and gear and gives you some knowledge upon which to base your training and purchases, scaling it to what you can afford. To me it's not so much "BUY THIS HI $$$ GEAR! OR DIE!" but, here is how the pros do it and here are some lessons you might be able to use.

Try it, you just might change your mind.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
FPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2004, 07:13 AM   #35
User Name

I'm not a subscriber. I used to buy an issue here and there that covered a certian topic that interested me and other than that I was unimpressed, but for the same reasons as USP45usp stated (it's been years ago). Reading this thread has convinced me, I'm gonna check out a newer SWAT mag. and if it's up to par (as it sounds to be) I'll use the subscription form in the mag to subscribe. Untill I get that done, I was curious...the Bill of Rights page USP45usp mentioned has my curiosity up. Is that something that is run often or posted on www.swatmag.com or was it just in the issue he read??
I have a plain printout from the internet in my "gun room" but the one he describes sounds very interesting...
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2004, 09:09 AM   #36
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

User-
The Bill of Rights layout only ran in that one issue.

Denny
Old September 28, 2004, 09:32 AM   #37
Rich Lucibella
Staff

User-
Wayne was referring to the Disclaimer in every issue:
Quote:
DISCLAIMER
Certain products represented in this magazine may be subject to prohibitions, restrictions or special licensing for sale, possession or interstate transport. If this annoys you, Get Involved...support the Bill of Rights...all of them!
and to Page 88 of May 2004, attached.
Rich
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SWAT_2004_MAY_88.pdf (118.4 KB, 84 views)
Old September 28, 2004, 10:44 AM   #38
User Name

Thanks Rich, he's right..that is slick!
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2004, 10:58 AM   #39
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks-
ALL credit goes to Art Director, Betty Wendt. Her layout; her design.
Rich
Old March 11, 2005, 09:14 PM   #40
perception

well, i must admit that ive passed up swat in the stores for a while now mainly due to its leo appeal title, but i think i will go get an issue tomorrow and try it out. you might have made a believer out of me.
perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2005, 03:31 PM   #41
buzz_knox

Being the consummate "Average Joe," a confirmed High Drag Low Speed operator, and having just reupped for a 3 year subscription, I figure I'd put my two cents in.

The areas covered by SWAT that are of academic interest only to the non-uniformed civilian readership are actually few and far between. The vast majority of the articles (even those involving restricted items or far away lands) are of benefit because most everything is relatively available and the tactics regarding their implementation are just as valid for us all. No, most of us won't be clearing a house or cave of insurgents unless something goes disastrously wrong on the home front, but I'd say more than one of the subscription base has or will have to find out what caused that rather loud thump between your room and the kids' room.

Additionally, the wealth of knowledge of the writers and their ability to communicate it effectively is absolutely worth the price of admission.
buzz_knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2005, 08:58 PM   #42
USP45usp

I can't believe that I started this post/thread that long ago and just now (last month) finally got around to subscribing instead of going into town to get a copy every now and then .

People who have read and replied to this post are probably wondering why I haven't commented in so long, so here goes:

Been paying off debts that when I was in one of my "moods" I got on the computer and spent way more then I had (damn credit ).

I've been trying to add to the board in general, while trying to do what Rich has advised "Attack the message, not the person" (as in, attack the message with logic and sources and leave any personal feelings at the door). I am, in essence, relearning civility and conduct while on the boards. I have been on the boards for many, many years and last year I totally lost it, started to attack members, and thus, got banned. Entirely my fault. (not this board, others. If I start the poop that I started on the others, I fully expect and know that I will be banned here as well, them's the rules, no matter if you're a subscriber or not)

This year has started well for me, money wise, and attitude wise. So, since I did start this post, it was up to me to "put my money where my month is". So I did. I had enough to go for the two year subscribtion but you can bet your last dollar that I will be going for the three year when renewal comes around.

And another thing that I don't think that many here, that haven't subscribed, has as a benefit over all the other mags, you have personal "face to face" access to the people that run and edit . And I can tell you from experience, the service is fast.

Now, I don't mean for anyone to begain to think of themselves as armchair managers and editors, it don't work that way. Ideas could maybe be sent but don't think that you are now a stock holder .

I just thought that I owed Rich and Denny an explanation of why it took as long as it did (because I did come off pretty agressively on the very first post) to finally subscribe. And to the members that have read this post/thread, who have subscribed based on it, and were probably wondering why I hadn't subscribed as of yet (but have now).

Life is good, my mood is better, and I am happy. So I figured that I could only add to my good start of the year with a subscribtion that will come to me instead of me having to go to it .

Wayne
USP45usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2005, 07:55 AM   #43
FPrice

Wayne...

Quote:
Been paying off debts that when I was in one of my "moods" I got on the computer and spent way more then I had (damn credit ).
Been there, done that, got those scars.

Welcome back.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
FPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2005, 12:30 PM   #44
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Thanks for the update, Wayne.Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

Denny
Old March 29, 2005, 07:02 PM   #45
Jart

Me too - just now subscribed, for 3 years.

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Looks to be a class act all the way around. Nice bump USP45.
Jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 07:09 AM   #46
CAPTAIN MIKE

The Evolution of the Magazine

Over the years, I have enjoyed seeing SWAT evolve the way it has. Very high quality content, very thought-provoking articles, lots of practical tips and instructions, and a no-nonsense attitude in general.

In years past I too felt as though I was 'intruding' as a "mere regular guy" shooter. And that's probably due to the magazine's name and its former elitist conent...which as I said, has evolved away from that. Maybe now, all that's left of the "old" SWAT is its name.

Whether it's named SWAT or something else, those of us who are regular and supportive readers will continue to be so.
PROUD TO BE A VETERAN
CAPTAIN MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote