The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm thinking the unthinkable...

Anyone who has followed me here over the years knows how much I love revolvers, especially S&W revolvers. My primary carry handguns over the last 30+ years have been various types of revolvers starting with a Charter Arms and then graduation to various models of S&W.

Over the years I've occasionally carried semi-autos, primarily a Taurus PT-22 when I need something really small or my P7.

But now I'm seriously thinking about making a my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.

I recently bought a Bianchi belt slide holster for it, and I REALLY like how it rides on my hip (especially now that I've lost a lot of weight).

I'm also doing a lot more traveling these days and through some sketchy areas in Virginia, so I'm thinking that something a bit more powerful than a 5-shot .38 Special snub might be in order.

Never really thought I'd consider leaving a revolver at home in favor of a semi-auto as my primary.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 3, 2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Wishoot

Such a personal choice with no right or wrong answer.

I find a 5-shot J-Frame (about to wear new Crimson Trace grips) suites my needs 99% of the time, but there are certainly occasions where having more capacity is comforting.

btw.... congrats on losing weight. I know how difficult that can be.
Old December 3, 2018, 01:21 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

Make whatever adjustment you feel necessary Mike.

Self-imposed restrictions are made to be broken by one's own "self".

Aarond

P.S. But, I did feel the firmament of the earth tremble a bit as I read your post.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 3, 2018, 01:26 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Something about an "elderly" dog and tricks or something?
Old December 3, 2018, 01:47 PM   #5
CDW4ME

Consider the options of having pistol on belt and revolver in pocket, especially if carried in weak hand pocket.
Keep the momentum of positive change going.

Not directed toward OP:
Any subsequent comments about "needing" two guns, living in a war zone, not a cop, ect... is evidence of not considering the benefit of options.
Old December 3, 2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I really don't have a weak hand when it comes to shooting a handgun.

I never realized it until a couple of people pointed out it but midway through a falling plate or bowling pin match I'd shift my gun from one hand to the other and, depending on the course of fire, back again.

Never knew I was doing it.

Old December 3, 2018, 02:27 PM   #7
reteach

I consider myself a wheelgun guy, but I too sometimes feel the need for a semi with more capacity and quicker reload capability. The 410 is still a classic style pistol, so not a radical change from your norms. Seems like a good move.
Old December 3, 2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Leaf

Perfect candidate for a Sig P365 with a 12 round magazine.
Old December 3, 2018, 05:28 PM   #9
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin:
But now I'm seriously thinking about making my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.
You never need vindication to carry a 3rd Gen S&W!
Old December 3, 2018, 05:40 PM   #10
PolarFBear

Whatever happened to all those 3rd gen Smith's? I was "lucky" enough to pick up a .45 Model 457 over the weekend for $420. Have a 669 and a 6906. Lost my best one, a 3913, in a "domestic" dispute some years back. Have bunches of firearms but the, now old, Smith's are tip top.
Old December 3, 2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Is the 410/411 considered to be a third generation? I thought it was the value line generation that came after the third generation.

I also have a 4506-1, which is one of my absolute favorite handguns. I've considered carrying it, but give its size I'd use a shoulder holster.

As for the Sig?

No. Just no.

Old December 3, 2018, 09:26 PM   #12
tallball

I'm a revolver guy too.

But I have a 915, and I have been known to carry it owb from time to time.
Old December 3, 2018, 11:43 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Welcome to the last century.

(Sez the guy who carries a 1911.)
Old December 4, 2018, 12:24 AM   #14
riverdog

I started shooting handguns with a Colt 1911, then discovered revolvers and then Glock. My current HD pistols are a S&W Mod.19 and a Glock G-19. When I carried it was the G-19.
Old December 4, 2018, 12:28 AM   #15
ms6852

I carried a 1911 45 acp for years, and just recently got the bug to carry a wheel gun. Mine new carry is the 686+ with the 3" barrel. I truly love it but kicks like a mule compared to my 1911.
Old December 4, 2018, 07:14 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

I carried my Model 19 2.5" in a shoulder holster for years.

Need to dust that one off, actually. Love that combination.

Old December 4, 2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
. . . .But now I'm seriously thinking about making a my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.

I recently bought a Bianchi belt slide holster for it, and I REALLY like how it rides on my hip (especially now that I've lost a lot of weight). . . .
I don't know of anything wrong with that combination. IMHO, choosing a carry gun is a surprisingly personal decision. You've got to know what's right, for you, in your circumstances.

Congratulations on the weight loss, too!

ETA: And when I switched to a Glock after many years of hating them, I think it was Tom Servo who posted that "there comes a time in every boy's life when he notices changes . . . ."
Old December 4, 2018, 02:36 PM   #18
Cosmodragoon

Sounds good to me. I still carry a revolver for much of the year when wardrobe is variable. The LCR (and formerly a J-frame) is easy to carry in almost any attire. That meant .38 special for me because I find .357 magnum markedly unpleasant to shoot on that platform and I like to train with what I carry. However, that left me with some internal conflict because I view .38 special in a snub with the same "marginal" lens as .380 and five shots isn't a lot. Getting into .327 Federal a couple years ago really saved this carry choice for me.

During that third of the year when weather and wardrobe dependably allow, I switch to a higher capacity semi-auto. I used to be a naysayer on .40 S&W but I eventually discovered that it was because I had been using it in tiny guns. That's totally subjective but on the right platform, I think .40 is fun to shoot. While modern 9mm is good, .40 S&W does do more damage downrange and that's not a bad thing.
Old December 4, 2018, 02:55 PM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
Anyone who has followed me here over the years knows how much I love revolvers, especially S&W revolvers. My primary carry handguns over the last 30+ years have been various types of revolvers starting with a Charter Arms and then graduation to various models of S&W.

Over the years I've occasionally carried semi-autos, primarily a Taurus PT-22 when I need something really small or my P7.

I recently bought a Bianchi belt slide holster for it, and I REALLY like how it rides on my hip (especially now that I've lost a lot of weight).

Never really thought I'd consider leaving a revolver at home in favor of a semi-auto as my primary.
"If the foundations are shaken, what can the righteous do?"

Quote:
But now I'm seriously thinking about making a my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.
Well, it is an obsolete gun, in an out of favor with the cool kids caliber.

Quote:
I'm also doing a lot more traveling these days and through some sketchy areas in Virginia, so I'm thinking that something a bit more powerful than a 5-shot .38 Special snub might be in order.
Real revolver geeks would say, carry a second snub.

I've been fickle lately, mostly carrying my Taurus snub over the past half year or so. But, if I was to be knowingly going into the "sketchy areas" around here, darn betcha I'd be upping my game to my G19 or XD40. (note to self, holster search for the XD, after the holiday).

Carry what you want, for reasons that seem good to you.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; December 4, 2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old December 4, 2018, 03:39 PM   #20
magnut

Just carry both. Five shot snubbies make decent backup guns. Primary.... meh.... definitly not ideal for more populated areas.

410 is a good solid pistol that is easy to handle and carry. 40s&w is one of the better rounds for self defense.
Old December 4, 2018, 08:33 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Real revolver geeks would say, carry a second snub."

Hum...

Not a bad idea. I actually have 9 to choose from!

And, no, I'm not going to start carrying two freaking guns, 400 rounds of ammo, a personal flotation device, and a helium laser....

Old December 4, 2018, 08:50 PM   #22
Mackie244Bud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUqYoZZoKb0
Old December 4, 2018, 10:31 PM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

Huh. Never thought to look at Yootoob for a video on my 410.

That guy really needs to up his presentation skills.

Mine unfortunately didn't come with the hard case or other goodies. But, I wasn't going to pass it up for $300.

The only thing I need to do before I start carrying it is run some of the Winchester HP ammo through it to make sure it's going to feed correctly.

Old December 5, 2018, 06:51 AM   #24
jar

Quote:
"Real revolver geeks would say, carry a second snub."

Hum...

Not a bad idea. I actually have 9 to choose from!

And, no, I'm not going to start carrying two freaking guns, 400 rounds of ammo, a personal flotation device, and a helium laser....
But you would consider a Sonic Screwdriver wouldn't you?
Old December 5, 2018, 07:47 AM   #25
Onward Allusion

How about a S&W 627? 8 > 5