The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2017, 09:57 AM   #26
sigarms228

Quote:
I'm going to have to purchase at least two extra mags for any gun I get anyway, and that adds up fast. Shoot, Canik is looking like a less attractive option now, even if it were identical in quality to the others (which apparently it may be in reliability and accuracy, but not in how well the appearance holds up?)

Do they make a 5" VP9?
IMO a Canik is not up to the reliability of an HK VP9. Not saying they are bad pistols but hard to match HK on consistent reliability, durability, fit/finish, and certainly not customer service and parts availability.

HK shows a long slide VP9 in their European catalog but so far not in the USA.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...fp9-l-sfp9-sk/
Old July 3, 2017, 01:55 PM   #27
wild cat mccane

The 5" VP9L should be coming soon, though the VP9SK is just barely getting set up online.
Old July 4, 2017, 07:31 AM   #28
fourbore

Quote:
But then, why do all the competition-oriented striker guns come with a bunch of cuts in the slides and other features specifically to reduce weight? Glock, Walther, S&W, etc. all cut down on weight for their "competition ready" pistols.
I was thinking of getting a bullseye pistol and asked about these cuts. I was told the 'theory' was the gun will cycle faster and less moving mass is less recoil. Ok, then I was told the 'real' reason was the cool look. Not only is it cool, but it is a very simple (ie low cost) machining operation. Good bling for the buck.

Here are some serious competition guns:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...eGkuanBn/?ref=

Some discussion, I requested:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=587667
Old July 5, 2017, 02:53 PM   #29
Fishbed77

Quote:
What am I missing? Do these things explode in your hand on the 51st round? Do they sometimes fire at you backwards?
When it comes to competition pistols, if you are using them as intended, they are going to become very high round-count guns.

The question becomes "will replacement parts, magazines, and accessories be available when I need them?" With the well-known brands, this isn't usually an issue. With the Turkish guns... well, who knows?
Old July 6, 2017, 05:22 PM   #30
kristop64089

Bunch of fudds still exist here, good to know.

I have owned hundreds of pistols and some good some terrible.
Inow own a TP9SA and a TP9SFe, with a TP9SFx on the way. They are incredibly reliable, great shooters. Century is backing these guns with GREAT service.

Other than political or ethical reasons, there is really no practical reason not to own one.

Better get them while they are still affordable.
Old July 6, 2017, 06:20 PM   #31
Duck of Death

I did, shoots fine (SF model), other than being a 9mm which I detest, it's a affordable pistol
Old July 6, 2017, 08:28 PM   #32
B-Shot

Weird maybe you were dry fireing a first gen......
Old July 7, 2017, 09:29 AM   #33
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I am waiting for someone to make some comment about buying guns from Turkey...
I'll be that guy. Of all the places to send my money, not sure Turkey is my choice. Lot's of options elsewhere.
Old July 9, 2017, 03:43 PM   #34
Nathan

XD MOD 2 5" is the gun of choice for me. I would shoot it before dumping money on a trigger kit. The trigger kit is lighter, but mine has a bit of a stapler feel to it. Not rough, but keeps much of the creep.
Old December 3, 2018, 08:43 PM   #35
ffbailey1

I’m have enjoyed all the feedback on this thread. I bought a Canik today. Got it new on gun broker for $455 plus shipping and FFL. Will be in it for right at $500z with the 20 round capacity and all the extras I couldn’t find a Glock or American made that can match the value. I plan to add a red dot and will be sure to provide feedback on the results.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:56 AM   #36
PSP

I've been very pleased with my TP9 sfx. It came with a Vortex red dot and a extra threaded barrel for a reasonable trade. It has ben 100% reliable and is very easy to shoot well. Loving, and I mean loving the Vortex sight. My old eyes see that bright red dot and the round lands right where the dot is. I shoot at small 1/2" dots at 20 to 30 feet and routinely hit them. It has a nice trigger and is maintained easily. One of the best values I've found in many years.
Old December 4, 2018, 09:14 AM   #37
G-C

I bought the TP9sfx this past summer but ended up selling after 800 hundred rounds or so. That 20 round magazine was doing a number on my thumb. I liked it alright but decided I didn't really need a competition gun. I put a 10 old trijicon red dot on it. The trigger had a super quick reset that if you let off just a hair in between shots the trigger was sweet. Let the trigger out all the way not so good. I didn't care for the way the plastic gripped though I'm not a big polymer gun fan. Fun to shoot for sure, liked the side charging handle, thought that was cool. Loading full 20 round mags sure ate a lot of ammo and was a chore. I think I paid the $530 and selling it got my money back a and a $100 for the ancient trijicon sight, so I had my fun and passed it on without losing too much. I liked the trigger but you have to concentrate and really learn that trigger reset to get any use out of it. My opinion anyway but it was my first competition pistol of any sort.
Old December 4, 2018, 11:52 AM   #38
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
My biggest gripe though was with the importer Century Arms. I called them to order a couple of spare recoil springs. They told they don't sell parts for the guns. I guess if you need anything including a recoil spring it's under warranty. The warranty is for original owners so don't buy used. If they stop importing Caniks then what.
Above is all the reason I would need to not buy this gun.

Dave
Or not.
https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-handguns/parts
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 4, 2018, 01:39 PM   #39
DPris
Member Emeritus

I had no interest in Caniks until working with one changed my mind.
The sample I had here was entirely reliable & surprisingly accurate.

I had no use for a full-sized 9mm in its category personally, but if I did I would have kept it.
Denis
Old December 4, 2018, 02:57 PM   #40
bp22

I wont tell you not to, they are dam good affordable firearms
Old December 5, 2018, 06:46 AM   #41
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Thanks for the replies! I would not want to get screwed with bad warranties.

Yes, the $100 rebate on Walther products right now does bring them down considerably. I can get the 5" PPQ M2 for just over $600 that way, and it's the same as the Q5 minus a few "pieces of flair" (anyone remember Office Space?) and the ability to mount a red dot.

I also have an XD Mod.2 3" and have thought about getting the 5" tactical model. It's quite a bit heavier than either the Walther or Canik--not specifically a competition gun, but I already have magazines and accessories for that gun, as well as night sights I could take off the existing gun. So the Mod.2 Tactical represents my lowest-risk, lowest-cost option overall. For $150 I can get a competition trigger kit installed. I've tried someone else's gun with that mod, and it does put the trigger feel into Walther territory.

Someone said 'for competition, heavier is better.' That makes sense for recoil purposes...

But then, why do all the competition-oriented striker guns come with a bunch of cuts in the slides and other features specifically to reduce weight? Glock, Walther, S&W, etc. all cut down on weight for their "competition ready" pistols.
Where weight is located is as important as the absolute weight. In a competition firearm lots of attention is given to where the weight is located to reduce recoil effects and to steady aim.
Old December 6, 2018, 03:26 AM   #42
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... ended up selling after 800 hundred rounds or so. That 20 round magazine was doing a number on my thumb...
The magazine springs on some guns can be very stiff, especially when new. This can be brutal on a thumb joint with repeated loading. Luckily, there is an inexpensive solution. Try a loading tool. I've had very good experiences with the Uplula.

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp
Old December 6, 2018, 07:36 AM   #43
PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
Quote:
That 20 round magazine was doing a number on my thumb...
The magazine springs on some guns can be very stiff, especially when new. This can be brutal on a thumb joint with repeated loading. Luckily, there is an inexpensive solution. Try a loading tool. I've had very good experiences with the Uplula.

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp
A sore thumb? The sfx, as well as most other Canik models comes with a loader as standard stuff. I use a Uplula myself but the included Glock type loader works fine too.
Old December 6, 2018, 10:13 PM   #44
G-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
A sore thumb? The sfx, as well as most other Canik models comes with a loader as standard stuff. I use a Uplula myself but the included Glock type loader works fine too.
I've never liked using those plastic loader things.
Old December 8, 2018, 05:46 AM   #45
hemiram

My TP9v2 has been a really decent gun, it's not a gun I love, as I don't really care all that much for striker guns, and it will soon be sold off. I would have no problem owning one of the Canik made CZ clones at all. I've shot a couple of them and with your eyes closed, it's hard to tell the difference between the "clone" and the real thing.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:26 AM   #46
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I've never liked using those plastic loader things.
So you'd rather put each of twenty cartridges in one at a time; often recharging the magazine several times a day? If you actually do this more than a few times, you might start falling in love with one of those "plastic reloader things".
Old December 8, 2018, 08:36 AM   #47
Targa

I have three of those “plastic reloader things” ..... Everyone I know that has tried the Uplula’s immediately picked one up for themselves.
As for the Canik’s, my experience is minimal. I rented a Shark a couple years ago and was impressed by it.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:55 AM   #48
G-C

I've never claimed to be the smartest, but I sure can load a mag fast, and without looking. Stubborn I guess.