The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Jason1807

Reloading 223 Bullet

I am new to the site and to reloading and I need help with the bullet for a 223 I jest bought some that sad .22 (224) diameter one person at cabelas told me this is what I need and another person told me it was wrong can someone please help?
Old March 2, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2
PA-Joe

.224 is correct you do not want .223 which is for some older 22 hornets.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Sevens

It will help if we know what you are loading for. .224" is the correct bullet to load for .223 Remington or 5.56 ammo, but you will also need to get a decent bullet weight for your platform and application. Also, the bullet style is important, too. You don't want FMJ if you plan to varmint hunt with it and you don't want 70 grain bullets if you have a slow twist rate in your rifle.

If you are simply looking for the proper diameter, .224" is what you want for .223 Remington ammo.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:25 PM   #4
medalguy

Do you have a good loading manual or two? If not, get them. They will tell you, among other things, what bullets to use for every caliber out there. They will also give you the suggested powders, load data, overall length, trim-to length, velocities, and starting and max loads for each brass/bullet combination.

You sound new to reloading, so I'd suggest starting with an excellent book, "The ABC's of Reloading" which you can order from Amazon.com.

Don't depend on anyone else to tell you correct information, and don't accept anything published on the net without verifying it with a manual, especially loads. It's too easy to type in a wrong number and the results will not be good for you or your firearm.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:46 PM   #5
4runnerman

Can't Add anything not said already..Other Than pay very close attention to Medalguys last statement.........Very well said and very true
Old March 2, 2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Jason1807

The bullets I got are Hornady 22CAL .224 55GR FMJ-BT W/C and i have 1/9 twist on my AR I do not hunt just target shot I do have a reloading guide (ABCs of Reloading) that i am reading I haven't started reloading yet I'm waiting on a digital scale and a case tumbler to come in justed reading for now the 22CAL threw me off (I'm loading 223 not 556)
Old March 2, 2011, 01:32 PM   #7
madmo44mag

Quote:
Reloading 223 Bullet
Never heard of reloading a bullet - cartridge yes, bullet no!

OK, wise ares time is over - sorry
Old March 2, 2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Utahar15

Jason.

The ABC of reloading is a great how to book. You need to get a manual of the proper powder and bullet weight and all that happy stuff.

The 1/9 should be fine with the 55GR bullets.

Robb

Last edited by Utahar15; March 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old March 2, 2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1807
I do have a reloading guide (ABCs of Reloading) that i am reading
The ABCs of Reloading is a good reference but it's *NOT* a reloading manual. A reloading manual will have specific load data regarding specific bullets, primers, powder and cases. Most of them also have diagrams of each cartridge showing the established SAAMI minimum or maximum dimensions, depending on the part/area being measured.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 2, 2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: clarity
Old March 2, 2011, 02:03 PM   #10
hoffbill

If you want improved accuracy Hornady VMax bullet perform great and are relatively inexpensive for how good they are. They are great for varmint or target, are available in different weights, and added advantage is very rare richochets since they disintegrate on impact. Good luck reloading. When I started I read several sources to educate myself, then started slowly, took my time and have gotten pretty good just by doing and learning.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:45 PM   #11
chris in va

Quote:
(I'm loading 223 not 556)
Pretty much the same thing, with minor differences.
Old March 3, 2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Tuzo

Please punctuate

Jason, please punctuate your posts. Both had to be read more than twice to understand your statements and questions. Notice that most TFL members enter posts as if they are writing a formal letter; not as if they are writing a text message.

One TFL member has a tag line that reads "grammar counts." It does count and it will get your message read without difficulty.
Old March 3, 2011, 11:10 AM   #13
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I can't agree more that you need a reloading manual. There are very many good ones out there, I have attached links.

You're probably not going to get a great response from members about very basic questions. The reason is very simple: if you don't have a basic grasp of reloading, the information provided here, without the appropriate knowledge base, is likely to get you hurt. Buy a manual, read it twice. It will answer most of your basic questions. Doing a search of the forum archives will answer even more of your questions.

Speer
http://www.amazon.com/Speer-Reloadin...9168375&sr=8-1

Hornady
http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-8th-Ed...9168482&sr=1-1

Lyman
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloadin...9168503&sr=1-1
Old March 3, 2011, 11:14 AM   #14
4runnerman

Never had any issue understanding what he was asking??..You did??
Old March 3, 2011, 11:19 AM   #15
zippy13

Never had any issue understanding what he was asking??..You did??
Nope.
All I have to add is: Greetings, Jason and welcome aboard.
Old March 3, 2011, 11:40 PM   #16
amamnn

Just to squeeze the last drop of goodness out of this topic-- we might want to mention that bullet diameters and bore diameters and the names of their associated cartridges are not always the same, as you've just discovered. It all has to do with whether the cartridge bears the designation of the bore diameter measured at the lands or the grooves of the barrel. So you find some odd situations like the .38 special (named for the diameter of the bore measured at the grooves) and the .357 magnum (measured at the lands) using the same bullet diameters, which is .357" unless you use lead bullets which will be .001" larger.

The .38 came before the .357 and was based on the same bore as the .36 caliber pistols of Wild Bill's day.................then there are cartridges named after the bore AND powder charge or the bore and the year of acceptance by the military not to mention metric and.........................oops all the goodness is gone now.
Old March 4, 2011, 07:52 PM   #17
flashhole

Here's an example of what amamnn said.

These different cartridges all use a 22 caliber bullet (.224 diameter) but all have different names.

22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 222 Rem Mag, 22-250

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 5, 2011, 09:54 AM   #18
CrustyFN

Quote:
The bullets I got are Hornady 22CAL .224 55GR FMJ-BT
I shoot the same bullet in a Rock River 16" with 1:9 twist and they shoot very good. I agree with the others that at least one good manual is a must have. You can also get reliable load data online from the powder manufactures. Welcome.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:03 AM   #19
m&p45acp10+1

I agree with the recomendation of getting one good reloading manual. At least one. Lyman is a good one for the beginning reloader. Lots of explanation of the data, and reloading process.

After that the caliber specific one caliber booklets are helpful to get several manufaturers' data. There is also a plethora of online data. I would recomend checking for at least 2 if not more sources for charge weights with powders to assure that you are not starting with too hot of a load.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:06 AM   #20
Farmland

I have found the information on this link to be very helpful.

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
Old March 5, 2011, 10:09 AM   #21
Farmland

I forgot about another one.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html
Old March 5, 2011, 10:15 AM   #22
c.robertson

Jason, I just hope you scroll down and read this. I have been reloading since 1963 and the single most important thing I can tell you is get AT LEAST 2 reloading manuels. One really needs to be the Lyman #49, & Sierra are excellent instruction books. Hodgen's book is THE powder book, and there are any number of others. But the above 3 are my choices.
AND:
Always double check / compare loads between AT LEAST 2 books. I found a .308 load that was a full 5 grains over max listed in the same manufactors book between 2 issues.
Old March 5, 2011, 08:37 PM   #23
rdmallory

Forgot another