The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2018, 11:06 PM   #1
Zeroed

Should I or Should I Not?

Curious how you guys feel about shooting reloads reloaded by someone other than yourself?
What about Factory Remanufactured ammo?

I'm new to reloading, still haven't loaded my 1st round yet, still looking for equipment. But my brother reloads, he's not very helpful when it comes to me asking questions on reloading. Maybe because we're brothers or he thinks I should already know the answer? So that's why I searched out reloading forums and landed here, for Help and Guidance.
I recently got 200rds of .45 reloads, 150rds of factory reman .45 (starline cases), and 200 reloads in pistol charged .308 rounds (I bought his .308 pistol).
I trust the guys who loaded them, but my brother comes near unglued that I got them, and says I should not shoot them. Says Because I don't know if they were loaded to saami. Said I should pull the bullets and reload them myself when I finally start doing it.
I believe they'll be okay to shoot.
What do you think? Shoot or Pull heads and reload myself? Or is my brother just trying to instill the importance and dangers of reloading, scare tactic so to speak?
Have you shot reloads from another source?
Any other concerns besides the possibility of over/under-powdering from saami specs?
Thanks
Old February 11, 2018, 11:21 PM   #2
Northof50

When I first started shooting, I purchased reloads from the Tampa Police Pistol range [factory remanufactured?] and had no issue. Depends on what you mean by "factory reman." There are plenty of companies selling reloads. Generally, they will have some advertised velocity. I'd be OK with them [but that's me]. In 30 years, I have never fired anyone else's handloads, nor have had the opportunity to do so. Nobody can really tell you better than yourself if you believe the person with whom you got them is responsible and "stable." If I were you, I'd ask the person with whom you got the reloads to walk you through the process. Ask him to show you the manual he used to get the load data and ask what powder was used and the bullet weight. You can easily take the information and look it up [here or the powder manufacturer's website has tons of free loading data]. You'll get a better sense of reloading, the equipment needed and your specific loads. You'll be able to come up with your own answers after going through the process. Generally, people are very "giving" when it comes to helping with reloading. If the person balks or seems uncomfortable - pull the bullets, dump the powder and keep the cases/bullets for when you get your own stuff. You can still use the cases, primers and bullets. You'll just put your own powder in when you're ready. Good luck
Old February 11, 2018, 11:37 PM   #3
Zeroed

With the .308's, the guy had them in plastic 50rd ammo boxes, and the inside lids have the info listed, bullet wt,, powder, powder grs, primer type/maker and date loaded. I did look it up, and was comparable to that data.
As far as the reman (factory reloads), the box is printed Remanufactured, I can't think of the company that loaded them? But they used the Starline .45 cases. I've read Starline is near the top as far as saami spec brass. That was the main reason I got them (future reloading), and that they were $5/box. The other 200rds were handloaded with mixed headstamps.
Old February 12, 2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Northof50

I've never heard of a 308 pistol, other than a single shot using the 308 rifle round. Is that the one your write about? I have heard of 380.
Old February 12, 2018, 07:09 AM   #5
Mobuck

"and 200 reloads in pistol charged .308 rounds (I bought his .308 pistol). "

head scratching???

Commercially reloaded ammo should carry liability coverage and meet certain standards. A licensed commercial reloader has to be licensed and insured. Ammo loaded by an individual is questionable even when labelled.

" I've read Starline is near the top as far as saami spec brass."
Which has nothing to do with the quality or safety of what's loaded in them. The box should be labelled with the loader so you should be able to find out what sort of load was used.
Old February 12, 2018, 08:11 AM   #6
locknloader

If the guy went through enough trouble to properly label the loads, i'd say that adds a little more trust factor than just getting a box of reloads and having no idea of the powder, bullet, etc.

Everyone here is going to have a different opinion, if you trust the guy, use em'. If you don't, pull and re-load or toss em'... we can give you advice but can't make the decision for you.
Old February 12, 2018, 10:01 AM   #7
hdwhit

Quote:
Zeroed wrote:
Curious how you guys feel about shooting reloads reloaded by someone other than yourself?
I have a friend who "grew up" reloading alongside with me. I know him. I know how he reloads. I know how careful he is. I know the procedures he follow since they're the same ones I follow. I would trust his reloaded ammunition every bit as much as I trust my own.

I trust nobody else outside of an OEM factory to do as well and on the rare occasion that I have received someone else's reloads, they have been broken down for components.

Quote:
What about Factory Remanufactured ammo?
What does "Factory Remanufactured" mean? It could mean someone using meticulously inspected and prepared previously fired brass as an input to a loading operation with equipment, process and procedures that rival the branded manufacturers. It could also mean someone with a drinking problem working on a Dillon 550 in his garage using the cheapest components he could find to supply inventory to someone with the appropriate type of FFL. You will likely have no way of obtaining first-hand knowledge which it is.

So, unless I know the "factory", the people who run it, the processes and procedures they are employing and have some way of researching their track record, I steer clear.
Old February 12, 2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Fotheringill

Simple answer is "no".
You are putting your life and/or face in the hands of another.
Old February 12, 2018, 10:09 AM   #9
hdwhit

Quote:
Zeroed wrote:
But they used the Starline .45 cases.
Virgin Starline brass has a very good reputation. But, Starline brass that has been shot, reloaded and shot again to the point where the primer pockets are loose is no longer "at the top" of anyone's list.

When dealing with previously fired brass (often called "once fired", but that's a term of art within the reloading community and not a guarantee) the only way to know it is only once fired is to buy ex-military brass with crimped in primers. You should approach all other brass that is "new to you" as having come into your hands because the previous owner had shot it out and determined it to be worthless - at least until you can inspect it and prove otherwise.
Old February 12, 2018, 10:16 AM   #10
hdwhit

As far as "remanufactured" ammunition keep in mind that the person doing the "remanufacturing" is doing it to make a profit. He has to sell his product for less than new factory loaded ammunition or else everyone would just buy the factory stuff. That puts a ceiling on his price.

So, to make money, he has to constantly be searching for the least expensive components he can find. This sets up an inevitable tension that is present in all business to control costs in order to maximize profit with the least scrupulous amongst us cutting corners to the point where safety can be compromised. The problem is that it is hard to know for sure just how scrupulous and how competent the person you are getting reloaded ammunition from really is.

How concerned is he with your safety versus his desire to get an iPhoneX?
Old February 12, 2018, 10:31 AM   #11
reddog81

.45 ACP or .45 Colt? What .308 pistol are we talking about?

What guns are you going to be shooting the reloads in and how much do you care about them? Do the .45 reloads have the load data with them? Who is the manufacturer of the reman ammo?

I've never heard of remanufactured ammo using Starline brass.... Usually reman ammo would be mixed headstamp brass swept up off the range floor.
Old February 12, 2018, 10:34 AM   #12
RC20

I won't shoot any ones elses reloads other than my brothers. I know his process and its more meticulous than mine.

no opinion on reman ammo.
Old February 12, 2018, 11:25 AM   #13
JeepHammer

What 'Factory' remanufactured the ammo?

There are only a select few I would shoot their ammo, all of which strive for SAAMI specification, and for safe chamber pressures.

Since ANY motorized loading machine REQUIRES government licencing, I don't run a drive on my loading machines... Always HAND powered to comply with federal regulations.
This limits the amount of ammo I can make, and keeps the production costs ($$$) way UP to an automated facility.

I do everything in my power to produce SAAMI specification BRASS out of once fired milbrass.
Once a customer installs a primer, powder, bullet it's no longer an issue of product liability for me.

I wouldn't shoot ANY 'Hobbiest' handloads from ANYBODY.
I supply ammo to the friends/family that come to shoot, but all ammo is fired through current firearms that are in good shape, & I don't buy 'Junk' or 'Random' firearms.
All of my loads have quality control that exceeds most large volume manufacturers, including weighing, gauging & hand inspecting every single round.

I have seen 'Remanufacturers' use military surplus powder of questionable origin,
I have seen cartridges using 'Seconds' for bullets, over/under size, over/under weight, and every other defect you can think of...
The only 'Squibs' I've ever had was with 'White Box' ammo from a gun show, stacked 3 bullets up in the barrel of a 1917 revolver that *Was* a beautiful example. (Still mad about that 40 years later!)

When I was 14, I ruined an original Colt 'Peacemaker', blew the cylinder apart and took the top strap off the frame using someone else's handloads. My grandpa never got over the loss of that revolver, his dad carried it during his military service.

Factory ammo is 'Safe', accuracy is up to you...
Old February 12, 2018, 11:42 AM   #14
Charlie98

I'm not a big fan of 'reman' ammo, but I've shot it. I would think the .45's are OK.

You'll have to clarify the '.308 Pistol' part... what you are saying doesn't make sense.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 12, 2018, 12:01 PM   #15
BigJimP

" Reman "...means nothing, its just "marketing BS"...

Like others said, it could be some drunk in his garage doing the reloading - and by the way, not all guys selling reloads have to be licensed or insured ( the smart ones are / but a lot of them are not --- and I know at least some of them, use Independent Contractors to do their ammo reloading on whatever equipment they own personally ...its not even company owned presses ).

Of all the guys I personally know that reload, there are only a few of them that I would trust as much as I trust my own reloads. But in general, there is probably an ammo distributor in your area - that a lot of guys are buying from with good luck in bulk...maybe reloads, maybe a retail brand you know...ask around in your area and see what you find.
Old February 12, 2018, 02:33 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

Factory Remanufactured ammo is covered by liability insurance and a Federal licence. Some guy's reloads is not.
"...ANY motorized loading machine REQUIRES government licencing..." So does that some guy reloading for money. It's not about having a motorised machine.
"...never heard of a .308 pistol..." Galil Ace among others. Also why the ATF says 7.62NATO AP ammo is evil.
Old February 12, 2018, 02:52 PM   #17
Charlie98

Quote:
"...never heard of a .308 pistol..." Galil Ace among others.
Well, I'd wait for the OP to clarify. While .308 pistols do exist, they are a bit of a rarity, and I'm a little queasy about the "...and 200 reloads in pistol charged .308 rounds " I'm just wondering if the OP transposed a few digits.

Old February 12, 2018, 03:02 PM   #18
fredvon4

No matter how safety (scared) I am at my OWN reloading... every so often I do get distracted and throw a double charge or under charge.... so far I have caught all of them

In fact caught a series of 20 45 acp I loaded off wrong data and caught it when I went to label the box... had to disassemble all 20...right every thing except the powder type

simply because I know I could be prone to a serious mistake I would never let a stranger or close friend shoot my loads...

I have a close friend who reloads and we both copy each other a lot but he will NOT shoot mine and I will not shoot his and we do not argue on this we both think is is just common sense

If a factory round blows my fire arm or maims/ kills me there is a deep pocket for me or heirs to sue.... I don't want my friends house (mine is better)
Old February 12, 2018, 05:00 PM   #19
DaleA

.308 pistol. Could be a T/C. Could be a Remington XP-100. Or could be something else.

Remington XP-100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_XP-100

T/C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomps...rms#The_Encore
Old February 12, 2018, 05:36 PM   #20
Zeroed

My Bad, the pistol is a T/C Encore pistol platform/frame with a factory 13" Encore .308 pistol barrel. Shoots .308 win. rifle cartridges. Sorry for confusion.
I also have a 7mm-08 pistol barrel for it as well.
Old February 12, 2018, 05:55 PM   #21
Zeroed

Okay, lots of questions, due that I was thinking you would know what I was saying, I should have been more clear.
To Clarify Ammo:

The Remanufactured .45 .230g FMJ, was loaded by Ultramax Ammunition.
It's in old looking boxes. Is this good to shoot, or should I pull and reload it?

The hand-loaded .45 (nothing further on bullet weight or powder). They used New Starline brass.
Should I shoot it, or pull and reload?

The .308 loaded to pistol specs to reduce recoil. Has all the info as to what components was used and when loaded. Listed on stick-on label inside plastic ammo boxes lids,
Shoot or Pull and reload myself?

I was thinking the Starline was used by Ultramx, but it wasn't. The private handloader used the new starline brass.

Also, was it a bad deal buying the .45 reloads for $5/50rds, even if I need to pull and re-powder them?

I apologize for not being more clear.

Thanks for advice and/or suggestions.
Old February 12, 2018, 06:52 PM   #22
Charlie98

No sweat, it's cool...

I would shoot the Ultramax.
I would not shoot the Mystery Meat .45's... pull the bullets and move on.

Got you on the .308 pistol... I'm just curious to see what the actual load is, more importantly... the powder used.

Old February 12, 2018, 09:31 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Shake and bake!

Err... Wait. It's: Pull and recycle.

I don't even shoot my father's reloads.
No chance of shooting a stranger's.
(Awkward situations arise when someone asks if I'd like to shoot their rifle/handgun, and I decline after discovering that the ammunition is handloads. )
Old February 12, 2018, 10:09 PM   #24
Northof50

Zeroed - Love the TC pistols. I have several barrels for my Contender. It's a tack-driver.

Not a bad deal on the 45s. But, as you can tell, as safe as reloading is - many, many just don't feel comfortable if someone else does it. I'd just pull the bullets and know that you have primed cases and bullets ready to go when you start reloading. All you need to do is settle on a powder. Should make your first loading experience a breeze [no decapping or priming needed]. Just send them through the expander, put new powder and reseat the bullets. Ready to go and all it cost was a couple dollars in powder that you flushed as insurance.
Old February 12, 2018, 10:13 PM   #25
NWPilgrim

I would listen to your brother.

1) You do not reload yet so have no basis for judging the ability of someone else to reload properly. As someone else said, as far as you are concerned that is mystery meat.

2) Ultramax is somewhat of a nationally distributed brand so probably OK to shoot but I would stick to cheap factory ammo like Blazer, Sellior&Bellot, UMC, etc.

3) Lack of load data is a definite No-Go. BUT, even with the data as to what was used to handload, you still do not know for sure the person handloading was paying attention or used the wrong powder, over-charged the powder, seated the bullet too deep, has high primers, cases have defects, etc.

There is only one person I trust with handloads and that is my son-in-law who I have handloaded with, discuss frequently our techniques, tools and components, and I know is super cautious when he loads. We both follow the motto, "When in doubt, break it down," for our own handloads possible mistakes (did I charge that case? Is that case neck split? was my measure set correctly?), and certainly loads for any others. I know a lot of handloaders and while I trust their knowledge, I have not sat with them at the bench for many hours and observed whether they are methodical, cautious, and quality conscience.

I never feel put out if some else does not want to shoot my handloads, and I never offer to any one else either. In fact, I recommend they do not for the same reasons I would not shoot theirs.

You cannot correctly assess another handloader's ability and safety practices until you have handloaded for some time. So until then you should not shoot ANYONE's handloads. Perhaps your brother's since he seems pretty cautious and if you have worked with him at the bench and know for certain he is careful and precise. But nobody else. After you have at least a couple of years of handloading then maybe you can adequately assess another handloader's safety and quality. But then why would you need their ammo if you are handloading yourself?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison