The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 9, 2018, 06:52 PM   #1
rjinga

Father & Son Bonding Moment

My younger son came home this afternoon after 4+ months of LEO training and instruction. He starts his 3+ months of Field Training tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m., so we sat at the kitchen table and loaded up his six Glock 17 (sidearm) and two Glock 43 (backup) magazines with 116 rounds of Speer LE Gold Dot Duty ammunition.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old February 9, 2018, 08:00 PM   #2
TJB101

Father & Son Bonding Moment

Very cool. God Bless him and keep him safe.
Old February 11, 2018, 12:54 PM   #3
kenny53

Wonderful story. Tell him thank you for being the front line of protection for us.
Old February 12, 2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Janders

There is something very special about a Father and Son/s relationship.
I have very fond memories of my Dad taking my brother and I out to shoot his cowboy revolver and the semi-auto 22lr rifle when we were kids. As I got older I took my boys out from time to time. They never showed much interest until they became adults.
Now that Dad is gone my oldest and I go out and make the memories.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Husqvarna

Yup only great memories

And still making them luckily enough

My own are too small yet
Old May 14, 2018, 04:54 PM   #6
rjinga

After 32 weeks, and 1,053 hours of classroom and group instruction, and an additional 480 hours of "on the road" field training, my son graduated from the 102nd Georgia State Patrol Trooper School, and is currently the youngest Trooper on the force at 21 years, three months and change.

His sidearm is a Gen 4 Glock 17, and he has a Glock 43 as a BUG. He also has a dept. issued short-barrel ("short" as in illegal if you or I possessed it) 12-gauge pump Remington 870 shotgun. Apparently the shotgun is the weapon historically associated with the GSP; all of the cadets go through a crucible called the Shotgun Stress Course before they receive their shotguns.

And, once he's had a opportunity to qualify with it (one of the few things that didn't do while in Trooper School), he can also carry a dept. issue AR-15 style rifle.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Last edited by rjinga; May 14, 2018 at 06:13 PM.