The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 28, 2018, 02:16 PM   #1
stagpanther

next project?

I have some spare parts and receivers lying around--and yes I know I need another AR like a hole on the head--but winters are long here and I need a hobby while stuck indoors (beats drinking, though more expensive). The new 224 valkyrie has kinda sorta caught my fancy--but it's also on the bleeding edge of new roll-out (not that that's stop me before). what sayeth the community? I also have a spare xx308 lower--to make matters worse.
Old January 28, 2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Wish I had your problem. Not a single AR in my collection.
You could take up fishing.
Old January 28, 2018, 09:10 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

.375 SOCOM.

None of the perks of .224 Valk.
All of the downsides of a wildcat, and .458 SOCOM.

But it'll be more fun.
Old January 28, 2018, 09:24 PM   #4
saiga21308

Quote:
Blindstitch Wish I had your problem. Not a single AR in my collection.
You could take up fishing.
Old January 28, 2018, 10:18 PM   #5
turtlehead

Going to make some knife handles. A lot cheaper than building ARs.
Old January 28, 2018, 10:24 PM   #6
ed308

I too have an interest in the .224 Valkyrie. But, I've decided to put my interest on hold until I see how the caliber performs with the available twist and heavy bullets. In the meantime, its a TAC6 for me. 6mm 6.8 wildcat from my favorite barrel maker, ARP. Barrel and dies are ordered. Just need a buffer tube and I'm all set.

But for your build with that AR10 lower, 6mm Creedmoor or 7mm-08. But maybe you've already done those.
Old January 28, 2018, 10:28 PM   #7
saiga21308

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead View Post
Going to make some knife handles. A lot cheaper than building ARs.
so are yah going to throw them at the beast animals 4 legged or 2 leg ones to stop them in their tracks? good luck with that
Old January 28, 2018, 11:46 PM   #8
stagpanther

@franken--I did in fact take a long look at the 375 socom--but since I already have a 458 socom--after looking at the ballistics of the 375 I decided there wasn't anything compelling it brought to the table over the 458 which I am quite satisfied with. It does look cool though
@blinds--Drilling a hole in the ice and sitting there won't work--I have trouble enough staying still in a treestand.
@turtle--that does sound cool, I'm also into archery and have long thought about trying to build my own longbow.
@ed--I took a look at ARP's tac6--ultimately I settled on the 6 predator because I thought it gave me an advantage with the longer bullets by using a grendel case which has the further set-back shoulder. It shoots sub MOA consistently--but not quite the consistent sub .5 MOA I was expecting--how does your's do? Yes--I've already done a 6.5 as well as 6 creedmoors--and a 260 rem which actually is one of my favorite .308 spawn. I've also done a 358 win which is quite nice. Thought about both the 338 federal and 7mm 08--might as well cover all the .308 bases--but it sure would be nice if someone came out with an innovative new case design that would fit the xx308 platform. (and not some exotic short but fat magnum that will run $5.00 a pop just for the case lol).

Almost ordered ARP's version of 30 Harret.
Old January 29, 2018, 01:24 AM   #9
Crankylove

.338 Federal AR. Lower is assembled, rest of the parts still to be accumulated.

Unless I change my mind on caliber.

Again.
Old January 29, 2018, 06:38 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
.338 Federal AR. Lower is assembled, rest of the parts still to be accumulated.
A very tough choice--I like the energy of the 338 to shorter/intermediate ranges--but the 7mm wins on bullet selection and ballistic efficiency. I wish something new (and relatively "normal") would come along outside of the 308 and creedmoor cases--I'm surprised Franken hasn't recommended the 45 raptor.
Old January 29, 2018, 08:06 AM   #11
Mobuck

I was really close to jumping onto the 224 Valk bandwagon. I have all the parts except the barrel but then logic kicked in and I decided I have nothing to gain by going that direction.
I already have 4 22/250's and a 220 Swift any of which is better suited to my actual needs for a longer range small bore.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:00 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
I already have 4 22/250's and a 220 Swift any of which is better suited to my actual needs for a longer range small bore.
Makes sense--but I don't have those--so who knows. Right now it seems to me the barrels are over-priced for the Valk considering they're new.
Old January 29, 2018, 11:47 AM   #13
tobnpr

I don't hear much talk about barrel life for the .224 V.
But given the parameters, designed to be run hot with heavy pills it's not going to be impressive- a fact that many caught up in the "cool" marketing name du jour may not be considering.

I think it may be useful for PRS shooters because the lighter recoil will enable better/faster spotting, targeting adjustments. But for many, the "old" and no longer "cool" 6.5 Grendel will still provide a good balance of performance and barrel life.

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers comparing it to the 6AR with Berger 105 vld's...I suspect the necked-down Grendel will be similar- at the expense of some barrel life, of course.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 29, 2018, 12:13 PM   #14
ed308

If you like 7mm, look at the 7mm Valkyrie. Wildcat based off the 6.5x47 Lupau case but in a AR15 frame. Getting a lot of interest and growing in popularity. May have brass in the future.

Last edited by ed308; January 29, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old January 29, 2018, 12:20 PM   #15
TrueBlue711

I was also looking at building the 224 Valkyrie for my next AR build. I shopped around and totaled up all the parts I was going to use. Unfortunately, the barrel was the deal breaker. Too few companies making them currently, they're all sold out with a few months of a wait period, and too expensive.
When I saw Savage released the MSR15 Valkyrie and the MSRP is $1300/$1500 (depending on which of the two models), I decided to just buy it outright from factory. Heck, as of now, the MSR15 Valkyrie (Recon LRP model) is going for $1,000 - $1,100 ish on gunbroker brand new.

For your project build though, what other ARs do you have? Do you have an compact AR pistol, lightweight "run & gun" carbine, heavier rifle length long range shooter, etc? I'd pick an application that you don't already have and build that. Caliber choice would come next.
Old January 29, 2018, 03:11 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Have you built a 10mm yet?

Quote:
I'm surprised Franken hasn't recommended the 45 raptor.
Ah, you see... There's a chink in my armor. As much as I like oddballs, wildcats, and obsolete stuff under nearly any other circumstances; the 'standard' stuff in a '308 pattern' AR is fine with me: .243 Win, .308, .338 Fed, .358 Win.
About as crazy as I might consider getting would be something like 8x51mm (.308 necked up), or .375-08. But there really isn't much benefit to doing such ... other than to just be different.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:09 PM   #17
ed308

And for something totally different...., 1911 build. Maybe save that one for next winter when you got move time.
Old January 29, 2018, 11:26 PM   #18
stagpanther

Did the 10mm build--wasn't especially happy about how it turned out, finally got it to run with the right ammo but in a blow-back model the cartridges are taking unacceptable "bashing" on the way into the chamber for my tastes.

ARP also makes a tac 24 which they say is faster than a Valk--so I may go that route. Still thinking about a 30 Harret--even though I already have 300 BO and 7.62 x 39.

While taking a gander at Accuracy System's offerings in the AR10 platform--there is one chambering that really caught my fancy--if they offered the barrel alone I would probably order it right now--and that's the 284 winchester. Anybody know of someone who makes the barrel?

Last edited by stagpanther; January 31, 2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old January 30, 2018, 04:09 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

You're reaching.
That means only one thing:

It's time for a .50 cal upper.
Old January 30, 2018, 07:15 AM   #20
stagpanther

Quote:
It's time for a .50 cal upper.
I think I missed the 50 BMG wave when Serbu had them intro priced at $1000.00.

Last edited by stagpanther; January 30, 2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old January 30, 2018, 10:02 AM   #21
tobnpr

^^^

....Mark Serbu...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 30, 2018, 11:07 AM   #22
stagpanther

Thanks--I was close--just couldn't remember for sure--you got one?
Old January 30, 2018, 02:13 PM   #23
stagpanther

This just in

The fine folks at McGowen barrels have agreed to make me a 284 win barrel!! I'm really looking forward to this project.
Old January 31, 2018, 04:25 PM   #24
stagpanther

Since I'm recycling an Aero Precision lower--I decided to play it safe and get one of their enhanced uppers and handguards. I also decided to go with a rifle+2" gas system to reduce dwell time and enhance bolt/case extraction. Although I have plenty of 6.5 x 284 cases I could neck up--they've been fired a few times--so I went ahead and ordered virgin Norma 284 win cases from bullits.com.

OK--so my xx308 project is taken care of--but there's still the AR15 lower calling out. What to do...what to do...
Old January 31, 2018, 04:35 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

Golf ball launcher, built with spare upper parts.

But don't go cheap. Get the Tromix launcher. It is much higher quality than anything else I've seen.
(Call Tromix to order. It's cheaper directly from them, but not available in the web store.)