The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 16, 2018, 10:57 PM   #1
larson1385

cmmg ar 15 22lr upper

I purchased at auction a complete cmmg 22 wasp upper. The problem is that the firing pin barely makes contact with the rear of the shell. I took the firing pin out and it seems ok. However I have nothing to compare it to. After charging the bolt it appears to also go all the way forward. Any tips for me ?. Thanx
Old February 17, 2018, 07:01 AM   #2
brasscollector

Clean out the bolt really good. Mine was doing the same thing about a week ago. I cleaned the firing pin channel out and put a dab of oil in it. Did the firing pin return spring come out with the firing pin? If not, I would say it's dirty in there. Make sure there isn't a build up of carbon at the breach end of the barrel where the collar slides over. I bought mine from a friend and he put over 1K rounds through it. He was always complaining about how it would coke up n quit while his 10/22 would go forever without cleaning.
Old February 17, 2018, 05:36 PM   #3
marine6680

Clean it well...

If that isn't the problem... If they did like Ruger and made the firing pin in a way that prevent it from impacting the barrel breech face, then it could be out of spec.

Ruger uses a slot that a roll pin rides in. The pin prevents the firing pin from moving too far forward.

It may be similar on yours. You may be able to tweak it if need be.
Old February 17, 2018, 09:31 PM   #4
zukiphile

Quote:
I purchased at auction a complete cmmg 22 wasp upper. The problem is that the firing pin barely makes contact with the rear of the shell.
Why is this a problem? Are you getting failures to fire?

Are there shims around the shaft of the pin? The seller may have used a Taccom firing pin with shims to keep it from striking the barrel or brass with excess force in order to lengthen the life of the pin.
Old February 18, 2018, 04:46 AM   #5
marine6680

That's true... I was just working under the assumption of there being an actual issue with failure to fire.

If not, then there is no problem.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:23 PM   #6
larson1385

Thanx folks. I took the bolt completely apart and scrubbed it with some carb cleaner and some very small brushes I grabbed at a gun show. I lubed it up and will head for the range. Live long and prosper.