The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 16, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1
MEATSAW

New K31 -- I am impressed with this rifle!

Well Mr. FedEx dropped me off this gem. Its a Swiss K31 with a serial number that puts it being made at 1944. The stock is walnut with a fairly light finish -- it is also in very good condition. It has the cartouche and the matching serial numbers which tells me that this hasn't been sanded down and refinished by anyone. I am very impressed with the workmanship on this rifle. The bluing is very nice, and everything just feels good. The straight pull action is really quite cool. Its pretty stiff to unlock (heavy spring?) but other than that its smooth as silk. The trigger is amazing! I now know why everyone who owns one says to get one!

EDIT: I also wanted to add that based on the markings everything (stock too) was manufactured by SIG which I find interestingly cool. There are some markings that I'm finding that are not on the Swiss Rifle Markings web site.
Edit 2: Just figured out that the magazine was made my Swiss camera maker Bolex. It keeps getting more interesting by the moment.

And here are the titans of military surplus: Finn M39 and Swiss K31. The Finn has a prettier stock and the action is faster, but the Swiss has better handling, and better sights. I'm taking them to the range on Monday for their first grudge match

Last edited by MEATSAW; June 17, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
the rifleer

Where did you get it? Unless it's unissued I think that has been refinished. Either way, it is very nice.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:40 PM   #3
MEATSAW

Got it from Simpsons. If it was refinished the cartouche on the stock would either be gone or would be clearly sanded neither of which are the case.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:51 PM   #4
kenno

Swiss rifles are speced with a 30 year combat lifespan. One of the reasons behind the propertary cartridge is so that the ammo cannot be purchased outside normal ordance channels or sold on black market. The quality of thier rifles exceedes that of all commercial Mausers. The average K31 will have about 1-3000 rounds fired but will also have perfect maintance, with an expected 10,000 rnd life span.
One cannot find a better service rifle, it exceedes the Mauser and all other MBR's in quality and accuracy. Enjoy
Old June 17, 2011, 12:03 AM   #5
MEATSAW

Here is the picture of the cartouche on the stock. If you believe it has been sanded and refinished I like to hear it

Old June 17, 2011, 12:37 AM   #6
KnightofCydonia

Well they could have just sanded around it knowing that the cartouche is important part of the rifle's history/value.
Old June 17, 2011, 12:54 AM   #7
MEATSAW

Quote:
Well they could have just sanded around it knowing that the cartouche is important part of the rifle's history/value.
I would think this would be hard to pull off. Matching and blending the finish and texture would be very tough. Also the serial numbers on the inside of the stock are unsanded and wear the same finish. Seriously guys, I really don't think this has been refinished. Is it really too hard to believe that I got a good condition stock?
Old June 17, 2011, 01:24 AM   #8
the rifleer

Well if it isn't refinished, it is beautiful. If it is refinished, it is beautiful. the only reason that I have trouble believing it is original is because pretty much all k31 stocks are beat to death. Yours is not unissued because it has slight wear on the bluing. If it has worn bluing but a perfect stock, it makes it seem like it has been refinished.

Even if it has been, It is still a very nice looking gun
Old June 17, 2011, 01:38 AM   #9
MEATSAW

Thanks for the comments. I understand your reasoning, but believe me that the stock is not perfect. No its not beaver chewed but it has lots of wear marks notably right near the front sling, the small area right in between the front sight and the front barrel band, and on the right side around the trigger/bolt handle/bolt release. There are also the typical dings and scratches around the buttplate. All these correspond to wear on the bluing in the same places. Apparently the pictures make it look better, the slight blurriness (cell phone camera) hides the imperfections.

Also I noticed that the front sight is windage adjustable but how are you supposed to move it? A hammer and a punch? Seems crude for such an UN-crude weapon.
Old June 17, 2011, 07:26 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Quote:
the front sight is windage adjustable but how are you supposed to move it? A hammer and a punch?
There is a front sight tool you can purchase, or carefully use a punch.

Do some reading here.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo....com/directory

Your rifle is typical refinished K-31. Nothing wrong with a refinish, it appears to have been done correctly using the original shellac. The metal looks normal for a issued K. Very nice looking, you need about 500 rds of GP11 and your are all set.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:11 AM   #11
KnightofCydonia

Didn't they use BLO on the walnut stocks and shellac on the beech ones?
Old June 17, 2011, 10:15 AM   #12
zfk55

Yes, they did.
Give me a close picture of the finger grooves and I'll tell you if it's a refinish.
(Note that there are no unissued k31s)
44 was the last year for walnut till around 1953. The war made finding walnut almost impossible for the Swiss.
Note that the factory that made the k31 in Bern is (now) SIG, RUAG and Dynamite Nobel.

PS: Actually SIG never made the k31.
http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...ED#reply-43322

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'

Last edited by zfk55; June 17, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:35 AM   #13
zfk55

This is one of ours from the Bern Armoury.

This is one you can make from a nut splitter. Just flatten the point.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 17, 2011, 11:19 AM   #14
the rifleer

The tool is niffty, But a brass punch and hammer work very well too
Old June 17, 2011, 12:05 PM   #15
zfk55

Not on all k31s, and there's almost no real control with a punch compared to a threaded adjustor. We've seen front sights so tight that a drift has to be hit hard enough to move the blade and ends up marring the sight blade anyway. We do have a few that will drift, but six specifically that it takes such a smack it makes you think you'd break that blade.
Nut splitters are cheap and takes just a minute to flatten the tip. Toss is in your range bag and you're ready. Drifting a blade back and forth at the range is a bit awkward.

Old June 17, 2011, 01:09 PM   #16
Geezerbiker

If you haven't already done so, remove the butt plate and look for the issue tag. It should have the year of manufacture and who it was issued to on it.

My K31 was made in 1943 and issued to a fellow in the engineers corp. The steel is perfect but the stock is beat up. It looks like it was carried a lot and shot only a little...

Tony
Old June 17, 2011, 03:09 PM   #17
MEATSAW

zfk55: here is a close up of the finger groove

Thanks for the information regarding SIG, All my parts where made by SIG but assembled at Waffenfabrik. Maybe later I will post some pictures of some other marking that I can't figure out what they mean.
Old June 17, 2011, 04:16 PM   #18
zfk55

Nope. Its not a refinish. The edges are sharp and the finish is correct. It could have been mostly in private hands. Is there a "P" in the serial number, front or back? It will appear to be not quite straight or even a slightly different font.

Forgot to ask............. If you remove the bolt, does the Op-rod have any bluing on it or is it shiney?

Latigo

Last edited by zfk55; June 17, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old June 17, 2011, 04:24 PM   #19
zfk55

I also believe that if you see it yourself, you won't forget.
Go here, meatsaw.......... http://www.swissrifles.com/proofs/

Latigo

Old June 17, 2011, 05:46 PM   #20
KnightofCydonia

I'm thinking of re-refinishing my walnut K31. Somebody refinished it with a dark stain that covers up all the grain. Should I use stripper to remove the stain? And afterwards, do I need to sand before applying BLO? Or once the stripper is cleaned off, just put on lots of coat of BLO? Anybody try Tung-Oil?
Old June 17, 2011, 06:08 PM   #21
zfk55

Tung Oil is our choice every time. Sand lightly and don't use a stripper! Use 000 Copper Wool between coats. You can leave it as a satin finish by finishing the 6th coat with Copper Wool. Don't finish with copper wool and you get this........

Finish with Copper Wool and......... satin

Latigo

Old June 17, 2011, 10:14 PM   #22
MEATSAW

Quote:
Nope. Its not a refinish. The edges are sharp and the finish is correct. It could have been mostly in private hands. Is there a "P" in the serial number, front or back? It will appear to be not quite straight or even a slightly different font.

Forgot to ask............. If you remove the bolt, does the Op-rod have any bluing on it or is it shiney?

Latigo
Music to my ears! Yes it does have P mark after the serial number (but upside down) on the barrel and on the receiver under the stock. This means it was given to the soldier when he retired, correct? Op-rod: are you referring to the piece on the bolt that the bolt handle is on? If so it has about 50-60% bluing with several spots where it has been polished off by contact with receiver.

If this stock wasn't original with the cartouche and serial number I would love to refinish the walnut. I think that the current finish doesn't do the wood justice. A darker stain and tung oil finish would really make this rifle look amazing. The finish on your rifles is beautiful Latigo.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:42 PM   #23
MEATSAW

Also since I have some time tonight I will post some pictures of some of the markings that are not on that website and hopefully someone will be able to help.

Here is the first batch from the bolt:

WC 1942 and then right above that is stamped Mo +

A odd symbol like a weird squiggle in a circle

This is a CV+ followed by a crescent shape:

This is a mark on the bayonet lug that is a perfect triangle

There are more marks on the receiver under the stock. I post those after supper and when I break her down again.
Old June 17, 2011, 11:23 PM   #24
MEATSAW

Okay here are some more that I can't figure out

Here is the SIG stamp and the letters "SM" ?

Here are the letters "G" and "F1" ?

On the trigger there is what looks like a bow and arrow mark and also that mark "Mo +" there is also a P stamp

And lastly there is both the SIG mark and this mark which looks like a WF with a circle around it?

Ok that's all the marks that I can find that are not on the "Swiss Markings" website...
Old June 18, 2011, 04:27 AM   #25
KnightofCydonia

Latigo,

Do you have any links to properly refinishing a walnut k31? I'm afraid to sand... so I wanted to use stripper and clean it off. What sand paper grit etc. do you use? And how do you do the finger grooves on the stock?