The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Seadweller

Lee Dies

Little help, please?
I just back into reloading and got a Lee Classic Cast Press and a set of Lee Carbide Dies for .38/.357 Mag, and noted that unlike my old RCBS dies, these did not include a magnum ring. I also noted that the instructions did not discuss how to adjust these for .357. I have two questions for you experts: (1) can I simply set the dies for .38 and when loading for .357, simply use my old RCBS Magnum ring? and (2) does the seating die make a sufficient roll crimp or do I need to get the Lee factory crimp die? Seems I got along quite nicely before with a set of RCBS dies, and the seating die made a good roll crimp. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Shoney

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "magnum ring". With Lee dies for any of the 38/357, 40/10, or 44Spcl/Mag, the crimping die is used for each cartridge by raising or lowering the die to fit the case length. You can adjust the amount of roll crimp by fine tuning the die up or down.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 30, 2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Freight_Train

He means a spacer ring.I have a set of dies(I want to say they are Lee also) that have a spacer.You set the dies for 38 special and lock the ring down.If you want to load magnum just unscrew the dies,place the spacer on them and tighten back down.in theory if the brass is to the blue print you won't ever have to adjust anything.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:24 AM   #4
colospgsAVID

Contact Lee Precision. They will give you the info you need. I am unsure if you are talking about a seating die, or a sizing die. I assume you are talking about a seating/crimping die. If so just use the knurled knob to adjust the seating depth. Make sure you have the die (in the press) screwed out enough not to impart any crimp. Once you have seated your bullets to the correct depth and want to impart crimp, unscrew the seating knob a several full turns, begin to screw the die itself into the press. Do this incrementally until the desired crimp is had. A sizing die will give instructions on where to start with the die. Seating and crimping will use the same instructions, I would assume. Not to quote the instructions of the Lee Dies that I own.
Old January 30, 2010, 02:04 AM   #5
colospgsAVID

Using A Sizing Die

You should be able to figure the width of the ring using the 7/8-14 thread pitch...less ring. Two turns measure .143". 1/14 = .071429 times 2 =.142858. The difference between the two cases is...1.290 - 1.155 = .135. The two turns of said pitch is within 10% of case length. My guess is it is quite close. 38 Special and .357 MAG are both straight cases. Thus said IMHO you should be able to use the same dies for both. I've never loaded for either though.
Old January 30, 2010, 06:02 AM   #6
alloy

Quote:
I also noted that the instructions did not discuss how to adjust these for .357.
It says in the instructions to back them out two turns for .357
Works out to .143 as colospgsAVID mentions. Differenece in case length specs I checked was .142
Old January 30, 2010, 07:22 AM   #7
NCMountain

There is no spacer. You just simply readjust when going from .38 to .357. That is why I bought a second .38/.357 die to set up for my .357 specifically. For only $36 for the die it is worth getting a second one for just that reason.
Old January 30, 2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Seadweller

Thanks, everyone. It seems I was unclear in my earlier post. I used to use a "magnum spacer ring" with my old RCBS seating /crimping die, and I should have simply asked whether I could use that same ring for the Lee seating die rather than readjust the die when converting from .38 to .357. The consensus appears to be that either should work. In either event, I will likely continue to use my RCBS Seating die for .357 and the Lee for .38. Thanks.

As for my second question, is the Lee factory crimp die really necessary, or is the regular seating die sufficient? Any thoughts on that one?
Thanks again!
Old January 30, 2010, 06:01 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

Depends

Quote:
As for my second question, is the Lee factory crimp die really necessary, or is the regular seating die sufficient? Any thoughts on that one?
If you are not loading very heavy loads, the seating/crimping die should do. If you want a very heavy crimp, I would do the extra step of the Lee Factory Crimp Die (Lee FCD). You don't want the last bullets in your cylinder backing out of their cases because of recoil from the earlier rounds.

I can't think of any other reason.

Lost Sheep
Old January 31, 2010, 10:57 PM   #10
colospgsAVID

You know what they say..."If you got'em, smoke'em." If you have the ring by all means use it. So it seems, two turns out in any operation will be sufficient.

EDIT: The ring should work with any type of die.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Seadweller

Thanks, all!

Thanks for the insight, gentlemen.
Looking forward to getting back in to this, it's been too long!!
Old February 1, 2010, 09:56 AM   #12
crimsondave

I love the Lee factory crimp die because it will full legnth size after the bullet seating. It takes any error out after bullet seating. I use it even if I'm not going to crimp very much for that reason.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:24 AM   #13
Sevens

I don't think you will EVER need the Lee Factory Crimp die for .38 Spl or .357 Mag.

Most folks who use the FCD and the past sizing feature use it to promote feeding on semi-auto rounds. It's most popular in 9, .40 and .45.

In .357 Mag or .38, you won't have any feeding issues (unless you have a S&W model 52, and I'm guessing ya don't! ) and your standard seater die that comes with every 3-die carbide handgun die set that Lee sells does a fine job of a roll crimp.

The need for the Lee FCD is very much over stated by the folks that use them, in my experience. This is a die that only Lee makes and markets and every guy that's been handloading since Elmer Keith has made great ammo in every caliber with dies and equipment from every manufacturer (Lee very much included) long before and since Lee introduced the FCD.

If it's an inexpensive upgrade to the 4-die set, sure, buy it. If it's a large extra expense, I wouldn't worry about it whatsoever. You can make great .38/.357 ammo with the standard 3-die set that anyone makes, Lee included.