The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2010, 05:30 PM   #1
BossHoss

38 ACP And Red Dot

I want to load the relic low power cartridge 38 Auto ---38ACP

I have 38 Super Dies.

38 Auto brass.

I want to use Red Dot and 155gn LSWC heads. I have tons of 155gn LSWC heads, as this what I use in the Super, but wouldn't dare shhot those loads in my 100+ year old 1902.

Does anyone have a load for Red Dot in 38 Auto that might be adjusted for the 155 LSWCs I have??
Old January 23, 2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Peter M. Eick

Why not take your standard super load and knock the load back about 25% and work your way up?

You could get it modeled in quikload if you were curious or you could fire them in your super and tweak the load down till you get the correct velocity for the ACP with that bullet weight.

I would probably start with the correct weight and work the problem in the other direction though. I would start with a loading manual, correct bullets and then see what is the response of the powder changes to velocity then start working my bullet weights up. That would be the cautious approach to an older gun.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Qtiphky

Not the right bullets

My sierra manual doesn't list any bullets over 115 grns and says that the 380 ACP does better with 95 grainers.
Old January 23, 2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Jim Watson

My old (1967) Lyman book says to reduce the .38 Super starting load by .5 grain and to work back up to the Super starting load as a maximum.

HOWEVER, Lyman recommended not loading heavier bullets than 133 grains.
Laser Cast shows only a 124 grain.

If you persist in loading 155s, the 1967 Lyman starting load for a 158 in Super is 3.5 gr Red Dot, so the ACP load would be 3.0.

Later Lyman editions don't want to talk about loading .38 ACP at all. Afraid you will hurt your obsolete gun and/or yourself.
Old January 23, 2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Don't try it with the 155 grain bullets. They are too long for that stubby little case and will contain the powder so tightly that charges too small to get useful velocities from will reach maximum pressure. You'll easily accidentally load to damaging pressures. Small charge variances of a couple of tenths of a grain will cause the pressure to vary substantially. Not worth risking the damage to the gun or to yourself.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle