The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2016, 12:01 PM   #1
azsixshooter

6.5x55 Accubonds 130 vs 140 grain

I have a good general purpose load worked up using 130 grain Accubonds over 48 grains of VV N560, Fed 210 primers and Lapua brass. Just wondering what the best way is to go to switch to the newer 140 grain Accubonds. Should I start over using published data on the 140 gr AB's or can I reduce the chargw a certain percentage and safely worknup from there? I have an older Nosler book, but it doesn't have data specific to the 140 gr AB's. I believe it has data for the 140 gr Partition though so I imagine I coukd compare from there.

I might just stick with what I already know what works and run the 130 grain AB's but I have been wanting to go to the 140 grain for a long time.

Thanks!

Steve
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old August 13, 2016, 12:06 PM   #2
nhyrum

I would start with the data for the 140 partition. I have no experience with nosler, but when I contacted hornady about the 140 eld's they said the data is the same as any other eld.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Reloader2

Nosler has reloading data on their site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2016, 01:28 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...can I reduce the charge a certain percentage and safely..." No. Unlikely to cause any damage though.
"...Should I start over using published data on the 140 gr..." Yep. Doesn't have to be data specifically for an Accubond though. One loads for the bullet weight, Not who made it or the construction.
I think there's something screwy on Vihtavuori's site though. (Assuming N560 is what you want to use.) Shows a 140 Sierra HPBT bullet starting at close to the Max load for a Lapua 140. That ain't right. Other oddities there(there are on Hodgdon's site as well) too. OAL for 139's aren't the same either.
Anyway, there's no shortage of 140 grain 6.5x55 data. Pick a powder and have fun.
Old August 13, 2016, 02:12 PM   #5
azsixshooter

I was just looking at midwayusa.com and I see Nosler has an even newer 142 gr 6.5mm Accubond-LR out now. Ballistic Coefficients are:

130 gr: .488
140 gr: .509
142 gr: .719

In light of that I'm gonna go with what I already know ahoots great out of my rifle and load the 130 grain AB's now then maybe buy some of those 142 gr Accubond long range bullets to play with. Although they are pretty spendy at around $1 per bullet! Don't know if I can justify that, but I'd love to at least load up 50 and see how they shoot. I'll have to crunch some numbers later with that .719 BC.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html